GO!

Breed ideas please!

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 32)  
1  2  3  4  
BRT

Please, be nice - ... or else!

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 8:50am PST 
Hmmm ... looking over that list again:

* "good with kids"
* "good with other dogs"
* "not a big shedder"
* "not a big drooler"
* "medium to large size
* "playful without being overwhelming"
* "trainable but not too smart"
* "not excessively active"
* "enough energy to play with a 6 yr old boy"

Sounds exactly like every
Spinone I've ever met!?!

Edited by author Mon Jun 24, '13 8:51am PST

[notify]
Keyser- Soze's- Hammer of- Thor

If it moves, it- plays!

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 12:37pm PST 
Apparently the only dogs in my area are pit bulls and chihuahuas. About 30 min north, the only breeds I could find available were labs and border collies. It's so sad seeing all the pit puppies in the shelters around here. At least the shelters here are no-kill, although what a sucky life that would be. cry

After seeing what's currently available, either to buy or adopt, I think we've all but thrown out our checklist. Clearly if we are considering a Siberian Husky, we are no longer concerned about shedding and activity level. The only thing we are all an agreement about is that we want a puppy. I'm fully aware of how much work they are, and I'm willing and able.

I have some appointments this week with breeder and a rescue to visit some puppies and their moms. I decided this weekend that we just need to get out there and visit some pups. I was leary of doing that until we found one that was a definite possibility, because I didn't want my son to get upset if we didn't end up with it. But, obviously internet research isn't going to actually tell me squat about the individual dog.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 32)  
1  2  3  4