GO!

Breed ideas please!

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Keyser- Soze's- Hammer of- Thor

If it moves, it- plays!

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 11:18am PST 
I'm looking for a new pup, but I'm having trouble finding a breed that seems to fit our wants/needs. Can you all help with some breed suggestions so I can get to researching?

I know most of our needs are more individual based than breed based, but I'm looking for ideas to research, so anything helps!

Needs: good with kids; good with other dogs; not a big shedder; not a big drooler; medium to large size (small & toy breeds are out, extra huge breeds are a maybe)

Wants: playful without being overwhelming; trainable but not too smart; not excessively active, but enough energy to play with a 6 yr old boy

Thanks for the ideas!
[notify]
BRT

Please, be nice - ... or else!

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 12:51pm PST 
Two words come to mind:

Spinone
&
Italiano.

blue dog
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 1:32pm PST 
As with everything in life, the laundry list you compiled looks good only on paper.
Like the lady who asked my opinion about buying a SUV that can haul the kids and groceries, but is also a sports car (her husband wants one) consumes only little gas and not to forget their limited budget...
Back to dogs - many mutts and mixed breed dogs can answer some of your requirements.
Pure breeds: maybe a Standard Poodle (however they are among the most intelligent dogs). Perhaps a Pit Bull or AmStaff, a Greyhound/ Italian Greyhound, or Visla. But non of the above are 100% what you are asking for, and each dog is an individual.
[notify]

Keyser- Soze's- Hammer of- Thor

If it moves, it- plays!

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 3:12pm PST 
I'm well aware that nothing is going to fit perfectly, and that individual dogs within a breed are different. I'm just looking for some breed ideas to check out. I'm only really familiar with Akitas, Chows and Samoyeds. Though I've been around a wide variety of dogs over the years, those are the three breeds I've owned. I'd go with another one of them, but they've all been vetoed due to the semi-annual blowing of their coats. Pits, greyhounds and poodles were also vetoed, as were labs, but the Vizsla and Spinone Italiano are two I hadn't thought of.

Off to check those out!
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 5:45pm PST 
Italian greyhounds are alot of work I would not recommend one with a 6 year old boy. I think a westie, a sheltie, a beagle, a golden retriever, a Britney, or a corgi woould be good ideas.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 9:01pm PST 
Sandy, he wants dogs that do not shed and are not exhuberant with kids.
[notify]
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 9:21pm PST 
I must say, a Sheltie is a good option.

Of course, it is the antithesis of your list! laugh out loud

Shetland Sheepdogs are small-medium dogs that are extraordinarily intelligent. This intelligence though, isn't a cunning variety. They pick up well on training and usually master any task you give them. When well socialized, they are great companions for children. They are stranger wary, and tend to BARK ALOT! So training that early on is a spot on idea. They are also extremely loyal and they do pick a favorite human.

They do shed. Twice a year they blow coat, so daily brushing is required and perhaps a thorough groom every six weeks. The coat is a lot of work, but it strengthens your bond.

They excel in obedience and other dogs sports, and can easily match the energy of a six year old. They love walks, fetch, and even a good training session. I do not think the Sheltie has an excessive amount of energy, despite being a herding breed, but definitely make sure some task or job is provided for them. I adore my Shetland Sheepdog, she is everything I wanted in a dog.

Good luck!

Edited by author Mon Jun 17, '13 9:26pm PST

[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 4:26am PST 
I thought it said good with kids, Italian greyhounds are fragile and if a kid left a door of your house open for a split second it would be gone forever. I have an Italian greyhound and it took a long time for him to accept pets from kids and they do not like sudden movements and loud noises which basically describes a child. I've seen beagles be very gentle with kids but also want to play with them.
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 6:05am PST 
Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Smooth Collie cloud 9

Portuguese Water Dog
[notify]
Liam

Lil Country Boy

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 8:15am PST 
Rhodesian ridgeback
Pitbull
Doberman

Or a mutt. I own two mutts and they would fit your requirements too.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4