GO!

Suspicious Breeder Has an "I am A Responsible Breeder" Article on Dogster Mag

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 9: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 1:36am PST 
This guy looks super cruddy and I think he needs to learn he has to get up pretty early in the morning to get one over the dogster forum community.

I'll go add my voice to the comments too.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 3:42am PST 
I agree, he looks like a BYB at best and has a lot of nerve talking about himself as a "good breeder" naughty
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 4:03am PST 
The biggest flag for me is: where's their address and phone #?
You can only contact them by email? UHG! shrugshrugnaughty
[notify]

Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 5:39am PST 
I'm shocked at Dogster for publishing this without even any sort of disclaimer. Seriously? Do the powers at Dogster HQ actually believe this fellow to be an "ethical breeder"? The editors of a website that specializes in dogs?? Their publication of this does seem like an endorsement of this breeder.

...Who is, of course, just a BYB. He sort of knows how to talk the talk of a responsible breeder, but not walk the walk. He's counting on it that people will take his word for everything. Like that he has great and nice dogs, although he's got no kind of outside evaluations to prove that, not to mention titled or working dogs. And as for health testing, apparently he's willing to out-and-out lie about that, as he hasn't done any (including OFA) but claims he does.

I'd like to believe he's sincere about the return clause at least, and paying for return shipping if needed, but I'm sort of doubting it as his credibility went out the window with the lying about health clearances.

What's scary and so sad, though, is that he'll probably have no trouble selling all the puppies from two planned fall litters at $1500 per puppy. People don't know how to research and evaluate a breeder, it's confusing at best, and then add to that breeders (like this one) who are willing to deceive in the name of marketing. A breeder who actually has the nerve to write an article trumpeting himself as some pinnacle of ethics, while he either has no understanding of what that actually means, or else he knows he isn't, but is willing to go that far for his ego and greed.

This guy is assuming that puppy buyers are going to be ignorant enough to fall for all his baloney. The sad thing is that he's probably right. Look how many supportive, positive comments this article got. And to think that's on Dogster, where you'd expect to find a slightly more-informed audience than the general public.

We have...as Tiller said to me...such a long way to go when it comes to education about responsible breeding.
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 5:46am PST 
At first glance, he looks alright I guess. But then getting into the comments he dodges every legitimate question that Tiller asks about proper breeding.

Ideally Dogster will take heed on this and post an article from a proper breeder.

Glorified BYB is all this guy is.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 5:54am PST 
It's made harder by the fact that real responsible breeders mostly keep their heads down, because they have no trouble placing all their puppies anyway, don't want to deal with the people who believe that Breeders. Are. Evil. Period., and are no more likely than the average person to have good "customer service" and marketing skills, anyway.

Which is, sadly, who we need doing the "what's a responsible breeder" education: responsible breeders with good natural skills at customer service and marketing, to market, not their puppies, but what a responsible breeder is and why, if you want a purebred puppy, you want to find one.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 6:14am PST 
Even more scary is when you read some of his blogs. For example, he states that the ONLY difference between puppy food for large breeds is that the kibble size is bigger so it cleans their teeth better and that small breeds need small kibble so they don't choke! HELLO????????
He also is pushing Eukanuba as being the food of choice for ALL dogs.
I agree with Addy...those good, responsible, ethical breeders I know do not deal with internet buyers and most don't even have a web page...maybe a listing on the national breed club sites, listing their phone number and best times to call.
I think what none of the novice buyers realize is that he HAS never had any litters so where the heck is all his experience and knowledge even coming from??? Certainly not from his mentor!

Edited by author Wed May 22, '13 6:18am PST

[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 8:27am PST 
A glance at his website would have had me moving right on if I was looking for a GSD, it's all talking! Blah blah this dog is my favorite, blah blah this one is my wife's favorite. Who cares?? What does that have to do with breeding quality dogs? Jewel is my favorite doesn't mean she's worth breeding.

In the comments on the article he talks about how GSDs do all those great jobs working with police and helping people but his dogs don't do any of that. Yeah Jewel's part poodle so if I breed her I could sell her puppies as hunting dogs because some poodles do it?

If he's an ethical breeder than my breeders are GOD-like creatures.

Edited by author Wed May 22, '13 8:28am PST

[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 9:08am PST 
Very enlightening. I thank those like Jewel, Mulder and Tiller who are so informed for always giving us such useful info. I have swung back and forth about breeds vs. adoption...was doing so again.

Reading this and realizing the perils of finding a really good breeder. And I remember that I have two excellent dogs...from the county shelter. And another excellent dog from a breed rescue group. And the wonderful Savvy from a BYB, but now I know better. And the guy who is posting? I think the BYB I got her from compares to this guy. Obviously they loved the dogs and the breed, but no standard, no health testing...I would never turn Savvy back, I love her dearly. But I will never support another BYB.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 9:27am PST 
Well thanks Savy but I think you meant Toto not me. laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 9: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9