GO!

Guest still needs help choosing apartment dog ( *not* my family member)

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 3:05am PST 
Apparently any post started by guests are being deleted ( I am aware of at least one other person who this happened to).I realize it is more than like due to the spammers frown I started one for a family member that is still going, so apparently any thread that is started by a registered member is not in danger ( unless they don't follow the regular rules wink )

Anyway, the whole helpful thread has been lost so hopefully everyone who posted can reply again. Here is their new post:

"Some how my original post was deleted.

I was asking about help finding a good upper flat apartment dog. (I'm a little peeved because there was a lot of great advice given, but I didn't have it all committed to memory.)

The restrictions on my building are as follows:
-45lbs and under
-no puppies
-Must be house trained
-no Pitties, Staffies, Dobies, Rotties, or any mixes of any of those breeds.

I have sent out a few inquiries and I'm waiting for replies. I wanted to ask for those who have adopted, how long does it usually take the rescues to get back to you? I know they are busy and I'm sure get plenty of people calling or emailing. I was just wondering what is an acceptable wait time?"
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 7:20am PST 
Thank you SO much for doing that for me! I thought maybe I had broke some forum rule and started going over everything I had said and started looking for forum rules but couldn't find any lol.

Anyway thanks again. I really hope I get some people back to help.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 9:25am PST 
It is so disheartening what happened to that thread! I spent an hour and a half looking around for you and wrote a post with my findings and ideas frown This is such a TIMELY thread....I thought that was just terrible!

At any rate, I did a lot of looking around and found a couple of rescues that assess out as excellent for you to consider working with, and also found a couple of dogs, sort of different examples on the scale as to what might fit the bill. By presenting you with these two different dogs, you could respond with your opinions of each, and that would help me to articulate back to you what to look for by getting to know you, your sensibilities, a little more.

One of these dogs was a senior (not very old), a spaniel mix, who has "perfect dog" written all over. He just likes everyone and everything, is super companionable, not boring at all. A total sweetie! The other is a far younger retriever-setter mix, very handsome boy, reasonable energy and on the weight restrictions gets you in very close on the "big dog" you are looking for.

I'd love to put those two back up....there was a third at the same rescue as the senior, a cute plain jane mutt who looks to be a bit of everything and a nice, medium sized girl. If you could put your zip code back up, I can retrieve all that info. And also get those rescue organization names to you, as both are superb.

I like sporting breeds for you a lot. I think you want a stellar companion with a highly companionable nature who is very much about the homestead, but still outdoorsy and fun. One who wants to please and is trainable...amenable sort of a dog.
[notify]

Capone

Noms for the- pug...

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 9:51am PST 
I had not posted in the original thread because I didn't have anything to add, but I was reading it and still had the three dogs Tiller picked out on my Petfinder recently viewed.

I hope these links work.

Sparky - http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/25281743?rvp=1

Abbey - http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/25530427?rvp=1

Davey - http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/25755129?rvp=1

Hope that helps. blue dog
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 10:25am PST 
Ah! Thank you, Capone!!!! applause You are a life saver dog walk

Guest, you can look at these dogs, say what you think and why, and this will be a way for you to better articulate what you are looking for. It will ground you more and help you be more confident and avoid mistakes.

The two rescues I came up with for you are Heavenly Paws of Michigan and Waggin Tails Rescue. I like them both a lot. They are obviously very sound on assessing their fosters and have strong ethics. It often can simply be a point of getting with the right rescue organization, and those two are super solid.

This is SPARKY, who is old enough to where he'll be nicely settled for you, but young enough to have lots of life left. A very amenable and easy to get along with boy who likes everything, but also has his outdoorsy side, so he'd be answering both of your needs. Maybe not as much a jogging partner for your husband, but uncomplicated, highly companionable, and also fun to walk and let run around in the field when you have the chance. "Ready made pet." He walks in and is your forever buddy with no drama, just doggie love. Love this dog.

Now for something contrasting, this is DAVEY. He's far younger, will need some training and early work, and then just to maintain him properly you'd need to be sure he gets good daily exercise and something to occupy his mind. But he's a very social boy, not high on energy, and gets you closer to the "big dog" package. He's a little over on the weight, but I doubt they weigh the dogs there?....he's light build and lanky and "looks" cool on size class.

Sparky is with Heavenly Paws, and they have another there, in between these two, the aforementioned cute plain jane ABBEY. She's a very social girl, medium but with a big dog vibe, looks to be a well adjusted girl. You'd need to ask about the barking and energy....she looks midline to me (being in rescue, learning how to read info off simple pictures is a trait you develop, lol!) and she looks super bright to me.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 10:27am PST 
Wanted to add, Heavenly Paws is super ethical and Waggin Tails has as strong a foster dog evaluation system as you will find, so they are very much about the match way to go
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 4:57pm PST 
Aw man I replied to those already.

Okay so Sparky sounds like a really great dog that somehow I skipped over up to a dozen times. He seems like he could make a really good dog for us.

Davy (aside from the fact that he is too heavy) I think he might be a little too much for a first time dog for me.
I think I forgot to say that for the most part I want to give training at home a shot (though I'm not opposed to going to classes if I feel I am in over my head or just feel the dog could use some more social interaction.)

I'm not saying I want a dog that is perfectly behaved to start off with, I just don't know if I could handle a "Project" dog as my first

Funny story about Abbey, I bookmarked her awhile ago but wasn't sure about her because she was so close to the weight limit.

@Tiller I am so sorry all of your long posts full of great advice got deleted.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 5:10pm PST 
You're welcomesmile I don't know if you saw my other post where I mentioned Bunny ( a very classic mutt smile ) would fit your critera, but you can't have himwink I also wondered about a Mini Poodle, since you like the Standardthinking A favorite breed around here is Shiz Tzusmile
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 5:23pm PST 
Yes, Davey is more of the "raw material" ilk, so I get that wink

Really happy that you are showing a good response to Sparky. He's the one I like for you best, as he sort of hits what you are describing....extremely companionable in the home, but also loves his walks and can be outdoorsy when you would like for him to be. I worried you might balk at the age, but truly it is not a biggie. It would if he were a German Shepherd, but he's more of a spaniel and they not only live for quite some time, but are young at heart for an extended period. My Chester recently hit 13, and we took him on a woods outing and he was bounding around like a young'un.

I had referenced the way posts are written, I can usually read through the lines....this is a NICE dog. He is what I was writing before, likely getting looked over as he's a little older. If he were three, he'd be there and GONE in a flash. I noted, scouring through maybe 35 or 40 pages of listings (tried Adopt-A-Pet also) that dogs like him are hard to find. Lots of Pit Bulls (egads...LOTS), lots of little dogs and then a bunch of hounds, the latter two highly indicative that some dogs are getting transported in from other areas. That midsize, well behaved and pleasant pet....those are like gold dust where you are. He's likely lingering simply because he's a little older, but that's not really old, and more to the point makes for a nice experience for you, as they settle in more quickly and tend to be ultra ready bonders.

Abbey is at the same rescue, so you could (should!) submit an application and can talk about, even meet, both if you'd like way to go She's likely more zesty but looks very big dog-ish to me in a medium package. So those two cover quite a bit of turf as to potential choices. That and this rescue looks very strong....a very good place to involve yourself with.

Keep us posted!

To answer your other questions, I'd give applications a week. If you can mention who you are interested in, sometimes that accelerates things, particularly if you are interested in a dog the rescue has a lot of heart for. My hunch is that Sparky is one of those dogs.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 5:48pm PST 
THANK YOU Tiller. I think I am going to shoot them a message and see what they say about either of them in an apartment.

I'm so excited now. happy dance
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2