GO!

Hovawarts?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 10:56am PST 
I was wondering if anybody has experience with Hovawarts. I saw one and thought he was gorgeous. What are they like?
[notify]
Howard

Tail Waggin'- Mutt

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 11:29am PST 
I looked into the Hovawart breed along time ago. They are great dogs, they do tend be dog aggressive. They are quite aloof with strangers. They are intelligent and easy to train, quick learners. They are very active and are working dogs! They are great dogs, very loving, loyal, courageous dogs. I love the breed.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 2:43pm PST 
OMG, now you've got my interest! wink

I'm planning on adding one to my little pack this year after falling totally head over heels in love with the breed.

What are they like? They are watchful, alert, intelligent and capable of anything you can put their mind to. They are a working breed and in all the talks i've had with breeders and owners, this is quite an important thing to remember when considering the breed. I have not met ONE that hasn't had a job of some sort, whether that be agility, obedience, working trials etc. They are more independent than some other working breeds and training can be more challenging. One lady i was speaking to at the Club show a year ago said up until recently, she had been in GSDs all her life and she said her Hovawart was MUCH more challenging to train as they aren't as handler focused or as quick to obey the first command given to them. They tend to be naturally reserved with strangers and are watchful. Take into account these are natural guard dogs, originally bred to watch their owners properties.

Males can be SSA and more "dominant" in personality towards other dogs. But as a whole they are good with other animals. Despite their size they're very agile and quite lightly built compared to other breeds of a similar size. They are also long lived, many living easily to 13/14/15 years old. They are very slow to mature and remain quite puppy like until at least 2 years old. Males are not fully mature until around 4/5 years old, bitches slightly younger. Once mature they tend to be calm, non demanding dogs really. The thing that most attracted me to the breed is the fact they are bred for good nerves and stability and this is something that is still very important within the breed community.

They are a rare breed, not easy to get a hold of at all. There is also, IMO, a vast difference in quality of dogs in Europe. I'm in the UK, so i don't know what the quality is like over there in America or Canada, but the dogs in Europe tend to have a better attitude to work and my own pup will be imported.

From all the research and countless hours spent talking to breeders and owners, they are by no means an easy dog and are generally not recommended at all for first time dog owners.

I've probably missed tons of info out and i've only really lightly gone into detail about the breed, but if you find yourself seriously considering the breed feel free to p-mail me or ask any more questions and i'll try my best to help answer them way to go
[notify]