GO!

$3,000 to $8,500 for a Chow Chow?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Mary Jane- Chronic

Jack's Blessing

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 8:04pm PST 
Whoever created this list failed with all sorts of misinformation including the purchase prices for the breeds they chose to be "the most expensive." $3,000 to $8,500 for a Chow Chow? $4,000 to $11,000 for a Samoyed? $2,000 to $8,000 for a Rottweiler? The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel "price tag" actually seems low unless the range includes only pet quality. And, wouldn't you'd think French Bulldogs would make the list? Yikes, don't even read the breed descriptions. What a mess. naughty

http://www.petside.com/slideshow/10-most-expensive-dog-breeds-5
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 2:38am PST 
That list looks a little ridiculous since I believe Dogster an an article about the Tabtian mastiff and how's its worth up to six digits or more. I've seen Charles Spaniels go for more same with bulldogs.

Though I've never purchased a dog from a breeder. Both my pure breeds are from the shelter. An amazing $78 dollars for a beagle and $58 for my basset hound. hi5
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 7:22am PST 
What the heck? Those look like the kind of price tags you'd see on pet store puppies. silenced Seen an 8 week old Shiba Inu puppy going for $2000 at a pet store here, once.
[notify]

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 8:32am PST 
Only a fool would ever pay those prices for a puppy.

A finished adult dog, of good lines with more than a couple successful breedings? Sure, happens all the time. If the dog is actually worth it or not, depends on the buyer I suppose. Finished sport and working dogs regularly sell into the 5 digit range. I remember seeing once on one of the big GSD forums, a particular Czech male who everyone at the time wanted a piece of, going for $7000... and thinking to myself how low that was. I guess its all a matter of perspective.
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 12:08pm PST 
I wonder where they got their prices... I can see a few of those breeds hitting around the 1-2 grand mark as the norm from a reputable breeder, but I have a hard time believing anything above that.

Edited by author Mon Mar 11, '13 12:13pm PST

[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 1:04pm PST 
Word to the wise about purebred anything...a friend's wife was totally enchanted by Rag Doll cats, they saved for awhile and bought two kittens from a breeder. Immaculate papers, show quality, gorgeous cats...who destroyed two couches and are working on a third peeing through them, no medical issues just something they find enjoyable.
Moral of the story...some people just have their heart set on having a pure breed for their own reasons. If you have the disposible income and it's something that makes you happy go for it. But at the end of the day it is just A dog or just A cat...keep that in mind.snoopysnoopy
All the perfect critters out there just dying for a home, I personally feel adoption is a better option.

Edited by author Mon Mar 11, '13 1:07pm PST

[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 2:29pm PST 
The price they have for the King Charles is what I would expect to pay for a pup from titled/health tested parents. shrug
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 3:15pm PST 
The price ranges listed for some of the breeds were so huge, it seemed like fairly useless information even if it were true. And like others have said, the prices cited for Cavaliers weren't even what I'd consider high for a puppy from a reputable breeder.

Seemed like the entire article was produced from some very poor research. Maybe they did use pet store/online puppy brokers prices as their reference, as I have seen some obscenely expensive puppies offered on payment plans from those sources silenced
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 8:53pm PST 
A lot of breeders seem to charge around $1000-2500 as the norm for a puppy. shrug

Edited by author Mon Mar 11, '13 8:54pm PST

[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 10:56pm PST 
Lol Sophie.

I love pure breed dogs. I own two of them but i didn't any kind of insane price for them.

My friends King Charles cost her $2,000 and she had to put him down at age 3 do to some sort of brain issue. I don't remember what she said it was but it's common. She was heart broken. She ended up picking up a King Charles/Beagle crossed dog named Maximus that is great though.

I prefer my beagles and King Charles spaniels seperate though big grin

I don't know i felt like Onxy said some of those ranges were useless. I mean a huge range of 5,500 on teh chow chow doesn't tell me anything. So if i get a low end $3000 dollars Chow Chow he's significantly less quality then the $8,5000 one?

My grandma's papered, tested and foreign sired GSD cost her $500. Because she was bred to be a pet. Her neighbors had a male from teh same female and the male sire (of grandma's GSD) 's brother and he was $6,000. ANd according to what that thing said the brother is low end. And he's gone to show and what not.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3