GO!

Greyhounds/Whippets and Apartments?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 2:40pm PST 
Do greyhounds and or whippets make good apartment dogs?

Still looking around at another dog breed. Though i'm probably going to get a basset. I'm curious about greyhouns and whippets as apartment dogs. Does teh greyhounds large size make it hard to live in a small apartment? Do these dogs require a yard?

Any other useful information about them or your work or experience with either of these breeds.

Thanks

Jake's mom
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 11:50pm PST 
I don't know too much about whippets, but Greyhounds make great apartment dogs... My grandad has a small apartment an has two greyhounds!

They don't get called the 45 miles per hour couch potatoes for nothing lol...

He takes them on a decent walk in the morning and again at night and they cuddle up on the sofa with him all day whilst he watches TV lol...

Their prey drive is a whole other ball game though! My grandad rescued his two (ex racers) and he has to walk the big male in a muzzle as his prey drive is so strong, he will go after small dogs :o/

Still, they are the most cuddly, most chilled and most low maintenance snuggle bugs puppy
[notify]
Layla - CGC, Therapy- Dog

I will get that- squirrel one- day...

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 9:56am PST 
Layla is mostly whippet and she was a great apartment dog as long as she got her exercise. I have heard the same about greyhounds, they just need a good long walk and they are great in apartments.
[notify]

Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 1:49pm PST 
I think a greyhound or whippet would do well in an apartment. Bassets also do well in an apartment but u may want to consider how some bassets are quite loud if they howl and that could upset neighbors. Also bassets shed more than whippets or greyhounds and bassets have a doggy smell like a hound dog and whippets and greyhounds have hardly any doggy smell.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 2:22pm PST 
Thanks guys big grin

I ended up adopting Sweet Caroline not long after posting this originally.

She does shed a lot but then again so does Jake. big grin Mr. Beagle has a weekly date with the furminator big grin

Sweetie does howl but i'm not sure if it's becusae she's old but you can barely hear it in the apartment next to mind and unlessyou're standing right next to the house you can't hear it at all. Jake's bark is much louder.

Thankfully I haven't had any noise dog complaints at all except that jerk who called saying I had a dog chained in my yard ( when id ont' even have a yard).
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 7:55am PST 
All bassets don't howl I was just saying some do, my friend has one that I love and she lives in an apartment and has no howling issues. I was just saying that in case the original poster was trying to decide the safer bet for an apartment. I didn't mean for it to sound so down on bassets. But if I was deciding between the two id get the greyhound. Of course I have an Italian greyhound so I'm biased and I love the sight hound personally.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 9:53pm PST 
lol Sandy! It's okay.

I was leaning towards a greyhound even though i was set on a basset because they're hard to find in my area. But when i saw Caroline wasn't really leaving the shelter I decided to go get her. Even though she was older.

I do definitely want a sight hound one day. one day!!!

** oh and if you didn't know big grin Mr. Jake the beagle was my first dog. Now i post mostly as Jake and Sweet Caroline big grin
[notify]