GO!

Lab/Spaniel? Lab/Setter? Something else?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 3:24pm PST 
Selli, not just Setters have the pronounced occipital bump--it's common to hounds too, like the Basset and coon hounds . . .. In fact I wouldn't rule out Basset in the background . . . Gus has a quarter Basset in her and she has a pronounced bump . . .. fortunately her taller heritage, collie and boxer, gave her lanky legs and speed . . .

I think "yodeling" is a definite hound giveaway! laugh out loud

Edited by author Mon Mar 4, '13 3:26pm PST

[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 9:50am PST 
Yep, lots of breeds have occipital bumps, her head just looks more setterlike to me.
[notify]
Treasure

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 11:08am PST 
Well, the very unexpected for me is if she IS some sort of hound I'm shocked at how fast she housetrained and how awesome her recall is. She hasn't had a single accident and hasn't attempted to leave the yard even once. We've been working on leash manners but she has otherwise been completely off leash outside.

I thought hounds were always a little slow to learn both so I have been pleasantly surprised lol

I was hoping she'd be a total turd no matter what she was so letting go of her would be easy....I never wanted four dogs much less five, but I'd be lying if I said we weren't toying around with the idea of keeping her now. She's just SUCH an unbelievably good dog, and she's fit in here so easily.....

About the only thing I'm not fond of is her name party
[notify]

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 12:39pm PST 
Hounds can actually be incredibly quick to learn. Just.. stubborn. And the levels of stubborn range from dog to dog. Charlie, for example, was INCREDIBLY easy to train. House train and otherwise and is a very biddable, eager-to-please dog for being a Beagle. Beau, my foster dog who was also a hound, was a little less biddable and harder to train because he lacked patience and wanted the reward and end result NOW. So.. I mean, if she's just a mix of hound and not full hound, it's likely that she's that much more biddable too, right?

I CAN see where people are getting a possible Setter head though. In her second picture of her staring at the camera, I can see it too - my friend has an Irish Setter and their features are incredibly similar to one another. The ears scream hound to me though.

What's the possibility of a Hound/Setter mix in your area?
[notify]
Treasure

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 1:44pm PST 
Charlie - I can probably count on two hands how many Hounds I've seen in this state, but they're also not exactly my bag. A handful of bassets was about all I've run into in that department laugh out loud

There are definitely Setters, but still not many compared to most other breeds. The only ones I've really seen were at trials.

Neither breed showed up much at all in the shelters I've volunteered with, nor have I seen many in rescues.

Lab/Hound I could maybe see, Lab/Setter I could maybe see....but Hound/Setter would be a pretty tough combo to pull off I think because of the scarcity of both breeds. Not impossible of course, and I definitely see both in how she looks but who knows!
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 3:01pm PST 
I'm surprised to hear hounds would be particularly harder to house break! I've always figured that issue as tending to be an indoorsy outdoorsy thing--as in dogs that love to be outside even in a little bad weather would just as soon take care of business outside cause hey, it's another opportunity to go outside.

I also think adult dogs are easier to housebreak because they can wait longer than a puppy once they get the idea that they will be given a regular chance to get out.

I didn't realize hounds weren't fairly common everywhere, but maybe my perception is skewed since I live in Kentucky . . .wink
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 5:45pm PST 
I knew a Basset/Lab who looked incredibly similar to Treasure, save for being a long body on short legs, bol. But she was very biddable and very, very sweet.

I'm surprised at the notion of hounds being uncommon somewhere too, haha. Setters, I understand though. They aren't all that common here either. I'm used to seeing hound dogs of varying types EVERYWHERE. But.. I find they(especially Beagles) are particularly popular among family lifestyles and hound mixes are everywhere - granted, I AM in Canada and hounds are used for hunting up here in some regions. Charlie, surprisingly, was bred and born in North Dakota and I luckily, was able to track him all the way back to ten weeks of age in Vet records(rare you get all previous Vet records when a dog has been through as many homes as he had been!). laugh out loud
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 2:31pm PST 
Lovely dog whatever, and you can always change the name. smile
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 3:58pm PST 
One of my sisters has a Bloodhound, can def see that in her! So cute!!blue dog
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)