GO!

I Knew you were the right dog because....

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Hoss

Hoss the Boss

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 8:46am PST 
We went thinking Hoss would be a lot smaller because in the picture the rescue used he looked small. When we saw this huge dog dragging the foster dad into the store we were shocked! He had no leash training and was used to being a outdoor dog. But when we went into the room to get to know him and he was wiggling his entire body and licking our faces with this big old grin I knew it was a match. And it has been. He took to training the same way he took to being fed enough food, with a gusto.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 8:54am PST 
Jewel was easy, I went to look at two dogs at the shelter and the other wanted nothing to do with me!! Jewel was scared but took a second to lick my cheek, plus she's black my favorite colour in dogs. The other dog never came near me being busy looking out the window, barking at cats and even when I picked her up turned her body away from me.

I'm interested to see if my next dog is as good, better or less of a match since she's being picked for me by the breeder.
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 8:59am PST 
I knew Nicky was the one for me because he acted like we were old buddies who haven't seen each other in a while when we first met cloud 9
[notify]

Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 10:01am PST 
Love this thread!!

As far as Lenny goes... I wasn't so sure he was a good match. Sure he was the cutest thing I've ever seen, but at the adoption event he could barely pull himself away from sniffing the floor and dog food aisles to even notice me holding the end of the leash. But my mom thought he was cute and my dad said he seemed a little "different" which meant he'd fit perfectly in with us. I knew he was the right dog when I bought the 101 dog tricks book and started doing clicker training with him. He absolutely blew me away, and then he surprised me again in Nosework. Goes to show sometimes you don't know right away.

But Crash I knew was the right dog right away. He was so... calm in the shelter. Definitely perked up outside when we got to see him, but still was fairly relaxed. He stood beside me and I knelt down and he sniffed me and he took a step closer so I started loving on him. His tail started furiously wagging, but I liked that he wasn't demanding attention. It was a very laid back moment, but he was just smiling and just wagging that tail... not asking anything from me at all. He's just now really starting to settle and learn and it's a beautiful thing and I know in the many years to come we'll have a great bond.
[notify]
Trixie Bean!

none so blind as- those that will- not see

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 12:36pm PST 
Trix was only 4 weeks old when I met her.. A litter of 11 (ish) puppies, and shes the one that ended up on my lap, curled up and sleeping. So that was it.. She picked me, and that was my dog. 12 years later I can safely say that although shes been hard work, it was eventually all worth it!

Roxie I didnt pick.. I got home one day and there she was.. "happy birthday!" . I'd wanted a puppy, but not a female bully breed puppy to go with my female dog who wasnt dog friendly! And yes, she grew up and they hate one another.. I adore her, and it breaks my heart that shes DA.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 1:01am PST 
I didn't add Maya or Ria.. So I'll add them both now.

Maya... I knew she was the right dog almost instantly.. But she wasn't looking for a home. In fact, I lived with her owner of the moment. But it was completely unexpected. With Charlie being a little dog, and being a young two year old male at the time, we expected another one of the dogs(the Bull Mastiff, Kia) to be the one to take him under her wing so to speak. She was the maternal one of the three females we were moving in with, and had had a few litters before and usually took to male dogs instantly. Maya was very standoffish with everyone. And Regan was fine with everyone and everything.. Maya, however, instantly took to Charlie the moment she met him and they were attached at the hip until the day I moved out. Having been the only one properly caring for the dogs whilst there, I saw the way Maya was neglected when I left and returned to ask my mothers fiance to let me take her home with me, to give her some more time and to better her mental and physical health and let her live out her last days with Charlie. He agreed and Maya instantly became mine and Charlie's companion.

Ria... My fiance and I were looking for a puppy for him. He wanted a smart dog, a generally fearless dog, and a dog he could have off leash. He wanted a dog that could go camping, could go trucking, could do anything and everything with him, so when we found out about an oops litter of Lab/Border Collie puppies on a farm that the owners wanted rid of ASAP, we went to look. Originally, we went to look at the little chocolate female with blue eyes, but decided not her, because of her innate fear issues(she wouldn't come out of the shed they had built for the mama to nest in and refused to go near the people - she was scared of everything and everyone).. But Ria fearlessly charged forward, played with her brothers and attacked our feet. When my fiance dropped his keys, she didn't even flinch, just looked at them for a moment as if to say "what was that?" and then went back to playing instantly. When removed from her siblings, she could care less and was happy to wander and cling to Charlie, she came when called, she was everything he wanted and he had her name picked out for her before we even finished our visit. A few weeks later, we brought the little black bundle of fun home. She's growing into an excellent dog, with TONS of potential for anything we could possibly want to do with her - obedience, sports, life as a family pet, etc.
[notify]
Chachi

Mama's Soulmate

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 8:08am PST 
It was meant to be, as I was almost the only person Chachi wasn't trying to bite at the time. Indeed, he has never attempted to bite me. We're soulmates. cloud 9
Fenrir

Veni Vidi Nom

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 1:56pm PST 
I was looking on Petfinder for a dog to adopt while I was going to school in New Orleans. Saw an awesome looking dog named Ratchet on the site, so I went down to the SPCA to look at him. Couldn't find him in the kennels, so I asked at the desk and they said that dog had been adopted. Looked around some more, but nothing stuck out at me so I went home. A couple weeks later I decided to try again. There were a couple Lab puppies, but they were on hold for people who were getting home checks.

Finally I noticed a rambunctious, older puppy labeled as a Chow mix. Asked if the tag was correct, because he didn't look like any Chow I'd ever seen, and was told it probably wasn't. Had him taken out into the yard to meet him, and he was totally nuts. Running all over, jumping repeatedly on the woman who was helping us, too excited to pay attention to any one thing for more than a few seconds.

Not sure to this day why I said I'd take him. They chipped him while I was filling out the paperwork and paying. As they brought him out on a lead, I foolishly crouched down to greet him. He jumped on me, as was his usual M.O., and I got a faceful of dog nails that left me bleeding. Everyone froze, clearly afraid I would change my mind, but I was already committed to making this dog work, especially because it had been my stupid mistake.

Turned out that commitment would make the difference, because he was not an easy dog, especially for someone who knew next to nothing about dog training. According to his paperwork, he'd been in the shelter since at least 8 weeks, because that's when they neutered him, and he was about 7 months when I got him. Aside from his non-stop jumping, he wasn't fully housetrained, growled and snapped at any discipline, even something as simple as a "no" (and I didn't know any other way to train), was food aggressive, and of course pulled constantly on lead. Tons of energy, no manners, seemed liable to bite- he was really more than I was equipped to handle.

We went to an obedience class recommended to everyone who adopted from the shelter, exercised religiously, worked on the jumping, and gave it some time. Most of his behavioral issues smoothed out after a few months, but until then, I wasn't always sure I hadn't made a mistake. He stayed very high energy until about three years old, but I found more effective ways of exercising him to cope. Helped a lot when we finally got to the point where he could be off lead for hikes. He's more mellow now, but still very athletic.

He's never really been my dog, he's a people dog that loves everyone. I know when I move out, he'll stay and live with my parents, who are both very fond of him. He's completely turned my mother on to the idea of adoption. Honestly, if I were to adopt again, he's probably not the dog I would choose. So I guess he was never really the right dog for me, but I don't regret adopting him because he has the forever home he deserves now.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 1:56pm PST 
Onyx was one of those dogs where the bond was just there from day one. I'd put down a deposit with his breeder a few months before, and waited until a pup that matched what I was looking for came along. His breeder lives two states away from me, so the first time I saw him in person was when I went to pick him up. She came out holding a chubby little ball of black fur and I was in love. His breeder and I talked for the next hour or so, then I loaded him up in the car where he slept on my lap in the backseat for the hour long drive.

As soon as we got out of the car, he was following me everywhere. He was confident and curious, but if I went somewhere, he wanted to be there too. I have lots of family in WA near his breeder, so of course everyone wanted to come ohh and ahh over the new puppy, but he had minimal interest in anyone but me. That car ride to my grandparent's house seemed to set in his mind that I was his person, and that conviction has never wavered. Of course all his other traits that began to show up as he got older solidified that he was pretty much the perfect dog for me, but I was floored that after one hour, he would already choose to be with me over anyone else in a room full of people.
[notify]
Sumo

Lady's Man

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 2:55pm PST 
hug Awesome thread hug

Sumo is a rescue. He was in such bad shape when we got him...2 abscessed teeth, impacted anal glands, UTI, under weight, and a frostbitten testicle.

I told hubby we would find him a good home (cuz I had never been a small dog person). That night at the hotel after getting him out of his bad situation...he hopped up on the bed with me and snuggled into my armpit, laid his head on my shoulder and gently licked my cheek.

I looked at him and told him that wasn't fair. laugh out loud Needless to say, after we got him well...we found a great home for him...ours. He is such a love and made me think twice about my "no small dogs" attitude.

Moral of the story, "Never say never."
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3