GO!

Ridiculous things people assume about dogs.

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 5 of 23: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  [Last 10 entry]  
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 10:16am PST 
"A rescue dog brought from an Estonian/Rumanian/Spanish/Greek/Russian shelter carries dangerous diseases. They must not be imported to Finland."

I am more worried about milled puppies here or brought over the borders without any documentation about vaccines or deworming or their documents are false and no veterinarian has seen these poor puppies, let alone vaccinated them, and then they are sold here. The imported rescues usually have proper documentation and the associations conveying them here usually make sure they cross the borders legitimately. Another point is Finnish dogs travelling around Europe with their owners and imported pure-bred puppies. They must as well have proper documentation and yet no one thinks they bring diseases as souveniers.

"A dog equals a wolf."
This was from a hysterical father whose kid was scared of dogs. I wonder why... red faceolleyes:

"We aren't going to show him, thus he needs no registration, so we can buy this unregistered/fashion mix puppy, he is even a lot cheaper than the puppy that breeder had for sale. And breeders are bad, breed dogs are sick and ill-tempered."
No registration or weirdly high price for a mixed-bred... It is usually the first sign that there is something wrong. At least if you're buying a dog in Finland. Puppy mills, too frequent breeding, no required health checks, you name it. Not registering doesn't erase the risk for breed-typical diseases or inbreeding. Though neither does that piece of paper with a stamp of the Finnish Kennel Club. Whatever animal one buys here, must check its background nowadays.

"I have other interests than training tricks to my dog. And he is too old and stupid to learn them. Trick training must be also difficult."
It isn't that difficult. It can't be. I believe that any normal person, if he/she wants to, can teach their dog if given a little instructions. Off course if you do not want to teach your dog tricks, it's ok, but don't blame your dog for that.
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 11:59am PST 
Thought of a few more, this time related to grooming:

"Shaving my husky/lab/golden/pomeranian/insert-double-coated-dog-here will help keep it cool in the summer." Actually, shaving a double coated dog will do the exact opposite. That double coat insulates against both cold AND heat. By shaving it off you expose your dog's skin to the sun. It can also damage the coat depending how close the shave is. I see a lot of dogs who's coats have been permanently ruined beyond repair because their owners shave them down in a #7 or a #10 every summer.

"If I shave him, he'll stop shedding." No. It'll just make the shed hairs smaller, and they'll get in to more things and be harder to clean up.

"She's not a show dog, so it doesn't matter if her coat doesn't grow back properly after I shave her." So, you're saying you're ok with your dog looking like a ragamuffin for the rest of its life? thinking To each their own I guess...
shrug
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 12:14pm PST 
With regard to huskies off-leash, sure, there are some that are good. It can happen. I just don't think it'll happen with mine. I'm working more on getting their attention in the presence of distractions, but doubt I'll ever let them off-leash except the dog park, unless they become MUCH better at recall there.

And with Teeko having been shaved (badly) in the WINTER by his idiot previous owner, I can only assume it was because they thought he'd shed less. Or he was out running loose so much that someone else did it out of cruelty or as a prank or on a dare. He looks a lot better than he did when I got him 6 weeks ago, but he has a long way to go. Very frustrating.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 12:40pm PST 
Ava reminded me of another grooming one... if you don't pull the hair out of the ears it will grow down into the brain! Ookkay! An oldtime vet told ALL his clients this was true!!!
Or, You can't trim the hair on their tail, if you do they can't walk because they will be off balance.
My favorite... MY dog isn't fat, that's all hair. One of our next door vets called me and asked me to keep the hair I cut off one of their clients dog so she could weigh it since the client was INSISTING the hair weighed at least 12 lbs and her weight would be perfectly normal after I finished grooming her! I cut off exactly 1 lb. 3 oz. of hair!!! Her dog was still more than 10 lbs overweight and was a cockapoo who should have weighed 16 lbs!!!
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 1:41pm PST 
I always wonder why people would bother shaving a Lab... thinking
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 1:45pm PST 
shock Toto! I've never heard that one before about the ear hair. LOL! I'm gonna have to share that one with my friends! laugh out loud

Oh yeah, hear the "He's not fat. It's all hair!" one a lot though. laugh out loud
[notify]
Jasper

Whut?

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 2:55pm PST 
Gizmo - My hubby gave Jasper a mohawk to make him look more masculine...but I thought he looked very male before the haircut...especially compared to Sonja...who IS my female Std. Poodle.
[notify]
Kloppers

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 3:32pm PST 
Giant breeds MUST eat a ton! Bella manages to stay healthy with 3.5 cups daily.

More annoying though is she MlUST live outside because no one is stupid enough to let a dog that size, hair, and slobber live inside!

On and don't you know Saints can't live in the heat, they don't belong in VA.

Going to petsmart always brings out some random dumb comments from people.

One more is in regards to our house bunny...bunnies and dogs can not live together, the dogs WILL eat the rabbit. Yes care is taken to maintain safety but the rabbit and dogs all get along well, of course I am not dumb and would never leave them unattended in a room or the yard together.

I have also heard the chihuahua one concerning kids...however my chihuahua does not like kids, well she doesn't like obnoxious people period, which includes adults.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 3:35pm PST 
Ava & Nix - We actually had a dog years ago whom we thought was getting fat, got her clipped down for the summer (I know BAD), and it turned out she was actually on the thin side silenced
Thickest coated Border Collie I'd ever known! laugh out loud
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 3:55pm PST 
So many people assume that just because a dog sniffs them, they want to be petted. My dog will love you if you simply ignore her.

Some stupid assumptions I've heard:

"Labs are dumb."

"If you feed your dog raw food, they'll get a taste for blood and become vicious!"

"Letting kids give your dog treats will make her become aggressive to kids."

"That's good you have a small dog, so you don't have to walk her."

"Your Dachshund is way more dangerous than my Pitbull!" This one was particularly strange, since I had neither said nor done anything to provoke the guy into being so defensive. It's true, Doxies top most bite statistic lists, but to describe them as dangerous?!

There are many more I'll probably remember later.
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 23: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  [Last 10 entry]