GO!

Ridiculous things people assume about dogs.

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 23: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 1:21pm PST 
Wow Charlie! Those were some interesting ones.

Oh, how could I forget "You have to punish them, spank them if you need to, so that they know jumping is bad. Just teaching them to sit whenever guests come over won't work because they still won't know that jumping is wrong."
thinking

"If you still need to crate your adult dog, it's a sign that you fail at training." Someone actually did get on my case once about the fact I still crate Ava even at 2 years old! This was before I got Nix, but I crate both of them when we leave the house. Too many risks and dangerous things they could get in to when no one's watching. I might try not crating them when we move out of my fiance's parent's house, but until then it's for their own safety. wink

"If you give your dog a treat when she does good, it's a sign that she's trained YOU, not the other way around." From the same argument as above. laugh out loud

Edited by author Mon Feb 25, '13 1:27pm PST

[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 1:30pm PST 
I have to say with the shock collars they can work if used in conjunction with training. We can say I speak from experience on this though finding a knowledgeable trainer is a difficult thing.

THe rediculous thing about E-collars is that the human feels it will make the dog better. It's not the e-collar that doesn't work. It's the dumb human who doesn't know how to read a dog. Because they can really mess a dog up.

"You've had your British Staff Terrier for the last 6 years and she's never been aggressive but now you're havnig a baby. She's going to kill it." shock Oh I almost slapped the lady that told my friend that when she was pregnant.

"You own a dog (insert any breed)" It must be for protection (if large) or (for companionship) if small."

My least favorite rediculous statement. "It's a dog. Who cares what it eats or where it sleeps? Just tie it up in the yard. It'll be fine. It's what dogs do." silenced
[notify]
Dexter *CGC- silver*

If it moves - Herd it!

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 2:10pm PST 
Great post!

I've had a few silly comments made about my dogs.

About Dexter, "He's not a purebred Border Collie because his ears are pointed and his coat is too short"... Yup, Okay!

About Rocky "Are you sure he's not part fox?" A man actually asked me that in all seriousness!

And when I told someone I was getting a Parson Russell, they replied, "Why would you do that? He'll tear your house apart and will never listen to you".

Some people really make me giggle, but only because I pity their stupid-ness laugh out loud
[notify]

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 2:21pm PST 
I wasn't bashing e-collars at all, I was bashing the way my friend is using them. She's never had any training experience, never owned dogs prior to this and because her dogs are bored and get into things in her house and she doesn't give them proper outlets, she got an e-collar to shock them every time they do something wrong instead of just teaching them what they should do instead. For example, I taught Charlie not to beg by teaching him that NOT paying attention to me got rewards, while staring at me got him nothing. Now, he can lay down on the couch next to me and won't even look at me cause he knows he's more likely to get something. This is, however, the same friend that beat her dog when he didn't come when called(at six months old), and expected that to teach him. She's also the person that intends to breed her pibbles for money. silenced

I am aware that e-collars can be useful, if used correctly. I have no issues with the way Trigger uses them, for example, or for proofing, or for SAR training, etc. Would I ever use them? No. But I also don't condone people such as my idiot friend getting them because they can't control their own bored dogs.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 2:42pm PST 
I know Charlie. The way she used it isn't right. They should really require a course to be able to use that thing.

I don't know if this one applies only to home cooked/raw/holistic dog food feeders- "You're dog is spoiled. You spend to much on his food."

Just because i want my dog to eat healthy like i do does not make him spoiled. It makes him healthy big grin
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 3:16pm PST 
Dexter- Would you believe people also tell me that Nix's coat is too short to be a BC? laugh out loud He's not smooth coated... He has nice feathering, a fluffy mane, and a flowing tail... I guess people are just used to the overly-fluffy BCs they see on Westminster. Oddly, I've never gotten any comments like that on his prick ears though.

"Don't bother getting a BC. You'll just have to give it up to a farmer when it grows up."

Someone said this about Ava:
"Is she part pit bull? She's got pit bull eyes."
That's funny... last year someone told me Ava has wolf eyes. So does that mean pit bulls have wolf eyes, or wolves have pit bull eyes? big laugh
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 3:47pm PST 
I know it's been mentioned before, and it doesn't surprise me coming from young children, but adults who ask if a husky is a wolf always amuse me.

"He thinks he's a big dog" so he'll be fine playing with the big dogs at the dog park. I hate to break it to them that it doesn't matter what THEIR little dog thinks, it's what the big dog thinks of them. My dogs are fine with small dogs, but not every bigger dog is.
[notify]
Barbaro

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 4:28pm PST 
People ask me all the time "What kind of a dog is that?" I just tell them a Lab and laugh. I mean really.

Also I get all the time at the dog park when I walk in "Should you come in with your dog he is aggressive." I got this from a man that owned a pit and just said back "I don't judge your dog by the deed so don't judge mine.

O and I walk him with a Halty and everyone ask if its a muzzle. While he has his mouth open panting.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 4:37pm PST 
Leaving my German Shepherd intact will make him aggressive toward people. That's why police dogs aren't (usually) neutered.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 4:43pm PST 
Oh Barbaro I get that all the time. Jake will be eating treats out of my hand in his head lead and people will come up to me and be like "if you have to muzzle your dog to bring him in here he should be here." and then they get a mouth full from me about how it's not a muzzle and how my dog isn't vicious.

What surprised me once is a girl working in Petco stopped me and asked. "Oh what's wrong with your beagle? is he a barker or a bitter??"

I looked at her like? confused??

she then pointed to his head lead and said. "WEll he's wearing a muzzle right? Is he vicious or something?"

As he's smelling around and He attempts to take one of the Big Bones out of the box at check out. His mouth is indeed open.

I calmly look at her and say. "It's not a muzzle. His mouth opens just fine look."

The look on her face was like eek How'd you get a muzzle that let's his mouth open.

Needless to say I'm not impressed with the calibar of that particular petsmart employees. I maen good dog they sell the exact lead i use in their store. shrug
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 23: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]