GO!

Ridiculous things people assume about dogs.

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 23 of 23: Viewing entries 221 to 224)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sat May 4, '13 7:41pm PST 
Mulder applause I agree, dogs all have their personalities, but certain traits, such as a certain level of aggression (see: protectiveness/guarding ability) are as breed-specific as herding instinct, hunting instinct, etc.

No one would ever argue that Border Collies are prone to herd things, or that Coonhounds are prone to wander off after smells, or even that Rat Terriers aren't the best dogs to have around pet rats, but say pit bulls are prone to dog-aggression and people will automatically become riled and defensive.

There's no doubt it's doing more harm than good to deny breed specific traits. Acknowledge them, and educate owners on how to properly deal with them. smile
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Sat May 4, '13 10:11pm PST 
Your dog would be a snack for my dog. Or Look lunch
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Sun May 5, '13 5:27am PST 
Aw, the boys, I got that all the time when I was fostering Poms. "Your dog is going to eat your foster dog" and "Autumn, you're lunch".
[notify]

The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Sun May 5, '13 10:07pm PST 
I also get alot of why don't you get a real dog and they get called rats.
It's pretty upsetting.
My dogs do everything a bigger dog does. Fetch, frisbee, swim, hike, tug, wrestle,and I hate to say it they have even hunted in a pack in the yard and killed small prey.
And I hate to say it it is usually big dog owners. I meet a lot that are very biased against small dogs. I don't understand it. I don't dislike big dogs. I've had a big dog. In fact besides poms there are more big dogs I dream of having than little dogs.shrug Poms just fit where I am at now. Plus they fit easily on the boat.laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 23 of 23: Viewing entries 221 to 224)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23