GO!

Ridiculous things people assume about dogs.

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 22 of 23: Viewing entries 211 to 220)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  [Last 10 entry]  
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 9:10am PST 
Very good point Jax!

I heard something new the other day... Apparently it's all good and well to litter train your golden retriever puppy. The woman was saying she was surprised it wasn't working out so far but she was going to keep trying...

I'm not against that kind of training in certain situations (small dog in an apartment or maybe medium/smaller dog who is older and has to go often and or isn't able to go as far to go potty) But a healthy golden puppy? I've never heard of that before.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 9:36pm PST 
Lenny!! That's gonna be a huge clump of litter to pick up.

I litter box trained jake. It was not easy and eventually i got tired of it and just stated buying sod that i put over a tray that i have that drains out into a flower bed. ** Kinda like a cheap home made Pet Potty big grin*

Jake prefers the sod covered wire to the box.

I can't imagine wanting to clean up the pee of a healthy dog in the form of litter. I prefer that stuff stays as far away from me as possible. That's why i never invested in one of those releaver stations >.> Gross.

I got told today because Jake's frontal lobe isn't as developed as mine he couldn't conceive the concept of pain so it's okay if i was to hurt him >.> naughty

** That comment stemmed form me almost tripping over jake and him yelping when his leash caught. He and Sweetie got tangled i there new Take two leash splitter. They're still getting used to it. and no one was seriously hurt >.> I just looked dumb tripping over them infront of my family. red face
[notify]
Trixie Bean!

none so blind as- those that will- not see

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 6:53am PST 
red face I brought my kittehs home to my mums house without telling her, or asking her. Slightly different situation though- I was there every day of the week taking care of all the animals. At the time, she was only home for maybe one night a week if that... And I was planning on moving out soon after. And a cats a little different, he stayed in my bedroom and my mum never so much as had to look at him for the month that he was there!

The smoking thing... I grew up in a household of smokers. Had asthma and smoke allergies too, grew up with eyes that were contantly sore, amongst other things! Smokers, I have no problem with. Selfish smokers, I DO have a problem with.

And on topic of ridiculous things people assume about dogs.. My grandmother is now convinced that her Pomeranian cross can never be offleash EVER because a "Pomeranian breeder" told her that none of them are ever reliable offleash.

This is after I spent a week working on recall and had the dog coming back to me consistantly when offleash.. She just doesn't listen to my grandma. But now my grandma thinks that this random woman must be right because Abbie doesn't come back to her *sigh*
[notify]

Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 8:04am PST 
Ah...
How about:
My dog "knows _____" fill in the blank with what ever skill the owner has failed to reinforce for months or years.

AND to expand on: "My dog knows ____ , which is why he looks guilty/shamed".
No. Your dog looks that way because you came home and lost your temper with him.

How about: "...he's just too stubborn and won't do what I ask..".
Nah. Your dog is unmotivated because there is nothing in it for him.
naughty
[notify]
Geordi

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 11:09am PST 
Geordi MUST have either Pit or Boxer in him because he has muscles! Obviously those are the only two types of dog with any kind of muscle.

Ridiculous. We got a DNA test, and in fact neither showed up. In fact, he's half Plott Hound (a very muscular dog), a quarter Sheltie and a quarter Dachshund. Still one person responded with "Well... they don't actually test for Pit Bull so that's why it didn't show up"

They don't test for "Pitt Bulls" because that's not an actually breed. They do however test for American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Bull Terrier and any other breed that is often referred to as "Pit Bull"

/end rant
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 7:57pm PST 
Yeah, I also hate the idea that any dog with a square-shaped head MUST have pit bull in it. One of the reasons I think Ava gets mistaken for a pit bull mix online is because in photographs her head looks blocky. I swear it doesn't look blocky in person though--her head is actually quite long, like a collie mix. Apparently the camera takes a few inches off her muzzle.
shrug

Lots of breeds have blocky heads though. Not all of them bully breeds either. Know how many purebred Labs I see every week who's head size can compare to a pit's? A LOT!

Now, why people take Ava for a pit in person is anyone's guess. Probably the same reason so many people take Nix for a beagle. laugh out loud But no. I know my dog, and even though I couldn't tell you her exact mix, I can at least tell you what she's NOT mixed with. Nothing about her is pit bull. Or spaniel for that matter (another common guess).
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 12:30pm PST 
I got Chaplin (portuguese water dog) his breed standard lion cut last year for his first summer and am getting it again tomorrow.

I've had people come up to me and tell me my dog is depressed because of his hair cut and feels like he will not make any friends. Other people tell me to let my dog be a dog.

Yes, there's no way in heck I've given him this cut to help him stay cool in the summer. Also, I just want to give my dog low self-esteem but am always surprised by how much faster he can swim without his back legs covered in curly fur.

Oh, I also get the disapproving look and comment of "Shaving your dog just makes it harder for him to stay cool and you'll probably give him heat stroke, people don't know anything about dogs these days!" Um... yes, this is a fact with many breeds, portuguese water dogs are not one of them, but thank you for becoming the resident dog expert.

big grin
[notify]
Sam

I eat- EVERYTHING!

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 6:53pm PST 
My co-worker keeps saying that because his dog is cute, he should breed him -_-

I really hope he doesn't.. the world doesn't need more dogs in shelters
[notify]
Lusha

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 5:45pm PST 
Hi guys! The most annoying think I’ve heard about dogs – that is when people putting “standards” for the certain breeds. Common, you are getting puppy and YOU are only responsible how and what it’s become. In my life I’ve had to deal with many “ dangers” breeds. And no one can change my opinion – there is no bad breeds, there either an educated owners or irresponsible breeders. I’ve deal with most aggressive GS, owned ( saved from being euthanized because of aggressiveness) Rottweiler, who was well known rest of her life for trying to lick you to death, had several Caucasian and Central Asian Ovcharkas. Every dog has its own personality. As same as humans. But we are not judging by nationality, country of origin… Yes, some different specifics how you are teaching you pup to behave, but in general – your dog is what you are! I am trusting my grandkid to my COs’ in a heartbeat, but would think 10 times before I let my next door Poo came close to her!shrug
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 6:23pm PST 
Yeah, except that breed DOES play a part.

I'll agree that individual temperament always rules out in the end, but breed specific characteristics CERTAINLY play a part in what your dog will become.

If they didn't, then purebred dogs wouldn't even exist.

I know for FACT my GSDs have a capability to guard when necessary... wouldn't matter how I raised them, that innate drive would always be there... but what I CAN change is how they express it. I could have out of control monster dogs who attack on a whim, but I took the time to make them safe, reliable dogs who WILL protect when I need them to. Same drive, same temperament, all things I could have known about these dogs before they were ever even born. The only thing that changes is control, HOW it is expressed, not the temperament itself.
[notify]
  (Page 22 of 23: Viewing entries 211 to 220)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  [Last 10 entry]