GO!

Ridiculous things people assume about dogs.

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 14 of 23: Viewing entries 131 to 140)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  [Last 10 entry]  
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 1:27pm PST 
"Jake"
I was raised around both GSD's and Dobes pretty much from birth when stuff like that was being said,we never saw it. Ours were around kids,cats,and people constantly and while watchful and protective,they were wonderful,loving,pets and great companions. In this area pitbulls due to the positive publicity from shows like "Pitboss"," "Pitbulls and Parolees" and even "The Dog Whisperer" are given the benefit of the doubt. Our shelter is careful about placing them but allows them to be adopted. Owner surrendered Akita's are euthanized immediately after the owner leaves,I was told this by a shelter worker. Their policy is based on a profile of the worst of the worst an Akita can be in the wrong hands and they simply will not risk placing them assuming that all of them are that way. They will however try to place puppies under 14 weeks. Having been around,owned,and raised three in the last 17 years,I know what amazing dogs they truly with the right people.
I just wish others would give them a chance.
[notify]
Sweet- Caroline

A Sweet Older- Lady

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 8:01am PST 
Sweet Caroline must be part huskey because she's got one blue eye.

Sweet Caroline must be deaf in her right ear because she has a right blue eye. (um no i think thta's only for cats)...
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 1:57pm PST 
Sweet Caroline is beautiful. big grin I'm starting to fall for Basset Hounds. Never been one for low-riding dogs, but lately they've really grown on me with their long snouts and soft ears.

Oh, thought of another one!

"You only have to cut dogs' nails once a year."

Yeah, they seriously thought that! eek
[notify]

Sweet- Caroline

A Sweet Older- Lady

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 3:16pm PST 
OMG!! I've heard of people like that. Jake might get his "cut" once a year but he has them filed monthly to bi monthly depending on if we've been walking or doing some serious outdoor activity. if not he gets a nice nail grind.

And yes Basset Hounds grew on me a lot after I got jake. I didn't think i'd ever really get one. But when i realized now that jake's been washed out of service work needed a friend I decided to get one. I had been looking at several basset puppies that had been dropped at a local non kill shelter but a week or so ago Caroline's picture popped up and i saw she was perfect except the age she's 7. But then i thought about it more and more and yesterday something told me to just go get here.

She and jake have hound indifference. But they're slowly starting to deal with one another. Though jake steals all her treats.

After all that i've got another one!

"your two dogs look simliar they must be 'Brothers"/"Sisters" "Some how related"

um no. One's a beagle and ones a basset hound. Yes they look pattern wise the same but no they're not closely related. Just same dog family.
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 4:04pm PST 
Oh man, we get that ALL the time about Ava and Nix. xD They look so much alike, they MUST be littermates! lol! no... Ava's a mutt and Nix is a Border Collie, first off. Secondly, Ava's almost 4, and Nix is just under 2.

"Are you sure they didn't come from the same family though? They look so alike!"

And then when they say that I wonder: Did you not hear where I said Ava's a mutt? laugh out loud

In fact none of Ava's actual brothers look much like her. Two of them look like pit bulls just with longer snouts. The third looks like a straight up Golden Retriever. confused The foster who raised them all thinks that they probably had different dads, since dogs can do that, apparently.

Edited by author Sun Mar 10, '13 4:06pm PST

[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 4:30pm PST 
Only a vet/groomer should cut your dog's nails because if you cut the quick a dog can bleed to death!! Scruffy must be a zombie then because I've quicked him a little bit a couple times in the past.
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 4:33pm PST 
lol! OK so speaking of weird things people have mistaken our dogs for, today on our walk I overheard a kid arguing with her mom that Nix was a cat!!! big laugh

Of course her mom knew he was a dog, but their own dogs (who mom was holding back) were going absolutely nuts barking and lunging, and the kid said something like "It's a cat!" and the mom was like "No, I'm pretty sure that's a dog." and then the kid was like "No it isn't."

Must be his ears. lol!

Ava still takes the cake though. A long time ago a kid getting off a school bus saw her all the way across the field we were in, and I heard him call out "Is that a horse?" I didn't answer, but a few seconds later I heard "Is that a BABY horse???"

Ava is by no means a big dog either. She's 40lbs. laugh out loud
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 4:35pm PST 
ETA: Nevermind. xD Totally misunderstood Scruffy's post. lol!

Edited by author Sun Mar 10, '13 4:37pm PST

[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 6:39pm PST 
It's definitely about your early experiences with some breeds that colors your feelings about them in aduthood. I've always thought Dobermans were more sweeties than guard dogs...two that we used to know would host parties with their humans dressed in tshirts and jewelry...fierce? Only as a canine fashion statement laugh out loud
I think we eventually ended up with bullies from my aunt having an English Bulldog when I was growing up...big ol' Topper, the grandkids would lay on his back and fool with him as he snoozed and he never fluttered an eyelid. The most dangerous thing about Topper was accidently being bumped by his head when he rolled over.

Edited by author Sun Mar 10, '13 6:41pm PST

[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 7:24pm PST 
Having two hound dogs must be noisy.

What do you mean they're not related? The smaller one has to be related to the bigger one.

** my old girl doesn't bark to much. She really just wants to sleep all the time. I really think jake and i ae a little too active for her.

** No seriously lady listen. Sweet Caroline... yes yes like the song is a Basset Hound and she's 7. Mr. Beagle is as his name imples a beagle. and he's only 3-4. They're both purebreeds. Not related.

** But they have to be they look the same.
naughty

I give up.

Caroline's old she must be boring.

** Just this morning she opened the screen door by herself and almost went for a walk.

** that's not boring. Though she does snooze a lot. I mean 90% of the time she's asleep while Jake runs around her.
[notify]
  (Page 14 of 23: Viewing entries 131 to 140)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  [Last 10 entry]