GO!

Ridiculous things people assume about dogs.

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 10 of 23: Viewing entries 91 to 100)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  [Last 10 entry]  
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Mar 2, '13 6:36pm PST 
I had someone tell me crates were a prison when I know that she left her dog in an outdoor dog run all the time. Sure, her run had a bit more room, but it was 100+ F outside, and he was only in the crate while I went to the grocery store (couldn't bring him and leave him in the car because, again, extremely hot temps). He was still a young puppy so he cried in the crate while I was gone, and I came back to be chewed out about how I was abusing my dog for leaving him in that "prison". Onyx is lying in his crate of his own volition at this moment, so clearly being crated as a puppy scarred him horribly.

Had people ask me questions that I certainly never got with either of my Golden Retrievers. On a trail where there's no street to cross to pass us, people will stop and ask things like, "Is it safe?" or "Does he bite?" before inching past on the very edge of the trail.

I've also been told that the reason he's obedient is because he was "bred to work" (because he's from working lines), and that's why he was already doing basic obedience better than most of the dogs in the class (who were all adults) at three months old. Yup, he came out of the womb like that.

"You feed him raw meat? Aren't you worried he'll eat your cats?"

My all time favorites are still, "Is he a miniature German Shepherd?" and "Omg, look at that wolf!"

I've heard the brain swelling about Pits, too. All I can say is some of those dogs must have a huge brain for it to get too big for those heads laugh out loud
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Sat Mar 2, '13 6:55pm PST 
I've had people argue with me over whether my dogs are part wolf. I guess I can see wondering about that, if you have no experience with wolves or spitz breeds... It's actually arguing about it that is ridiculous to me.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Sat Mar 2, '13 7:24pm PST 
I've never heard about a dog's brain swelling and that making them turn on their owners.

I had a guy stop me today in bass pro and insist I needed a better field collar for my hunting beagle. I was a little confused since I was checking out a bow and arrow ( i do archery) and two Jake was lay at my feet in a head collar. He wasn't even wearing a E- collar to begin with.

But the guy insisted that to have a good field dog i would need a better E-collar then the one i was using.

Just because I'm in a hunting store with a beagle doesn't mean i'm going hunting or that i'm even a hunter. shrug

Edited by author Sat Mar 2, '13 7:24pm PST

[notify]

Sumo

Lady's Man

Barked: Sat Mar 2, '13 7:49pm PST 
Because Sumo is small...he must be a puppy.
[notify]
Ch Zena

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 7:44am PST 
Sumo, everyone around here INSISTS that Zena is Toto's "puppy". Zena is a tiny toy, Toto is a large mini, and they are almost the same age with almost the same amount of gray muzzle.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 7:52am PST 
Is thet there one o dem wolf dogs? Ya know, da one's thet go for the throat.big laugh

Do I look like an evil wolf dog? It always surprises me when my person is asked if I am a wolf because wolfs don't look anything like Huskies.

BOL The neighbor who asked if I am an evil wolf dog is pretty creepy and my person just said "yes he is" We haven't seen him since that day.laugh out loud

dog walk
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 8:29am PST 
Silly one, but I get asked if Mulder is a puppy a lot, because of his feet.

"Gosh look at those paws, he's going to be massive when he grows up!"

"He's almost 5..."

Always have to laugh at that one. Paw size is clearly the only thing that determines the size a puppy will be when it grows up, parents and genetics have NOTHING at all to do with it laugh out loud

And of course, all the same ones as Onyx... are they wolves/wolf mixes, are they aggressive, why so small for a GSD, etc.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 12:38pm PST 
Oh yes, Rigby too is a puppy because her ears are disproportionate.
"Got a lot of growin' to do till she fits those ears!"

Nope.
Had her over a year and I'm still waiting laugh out loud

Ah well, apparently I've got a puppy forever LOL

Edited by author Sun Mar 3, '13 12:39pm PST

[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 4:21pm PST 
"Registration alone makes a reputable/responsible breeder." big laugh

"It's instinct for Beagles to escape and wander, training doesn't do anything." Right... so explain to me why Charlie no longer does either(after YEARS of training for otherwise)? And explain to me how with Beau, it had nothing to do with his separation anxiety? He was the EXACT same way about being locked in his crate and would try to bust his way out to get to his people. Same with a dog run or yard. Not a hard concept, but y'know.. They can't be trained. wink

"Oh, you're going to have a baby? What are you going to do about your dogs? You should rehome them." Uhhh... Keep them? And train them? And raise my baby to be good with dogs? And if they bring up how much time I'll have... I get that babies take up A LOT of time, but I'll be sure to MAKE time for my dogs too. I'm not going to make excuses and rehome them based on having a baby alone.
[notify]
Marley

Blame the deed,- NOT the Breed

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 6:26pm PST 
Majority of people always seems to assume Marley is a boy because she's black.
[notify]
  (Page 10 of 23: Viewing entries 91 to 100)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  [Last 10 entry]