GO!

Any suggestions for a breed for a cat person?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Hershey

Bark it Loud &- Proud!

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 9:02am PST 
HAVANESE cloud 9 Charming, open-hearted, soft-natured, but fearless in the face of danger. They adore children and other animals are greeted with glee. This spirit of cooperation continues over to training. They are willing workers as well as playmates. Havanese learn quickly who is in charge and rarely challenge for donminance.

The Havanese has two coats to choose from...Curly and wavy, as well as a kaleidoscope of colors. The coat sheds within itself...meaning little to no shedding (as compared to other breeds). Making it a great choice for folks not into breeds that blow coat twice a year and sheds constantly. And remember, that type of coat does need grooming...but a pet clip can be kept short.

Size: 8.5 to 11.5 inches at the withers (shoulders), 7 to 13 lbs
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 9:59am PST 
I would also suggest that while being wonderful, French bulldogs or any bully for that matter is going to be upset being left alone for long periods, if you can get two it's more challenging for you but a buddy for them...some people would disagree...English bulldogs are sweet mushballs, social butterflies with everyone, however you'll be to the vet ALOT from what I've been told...we considered one before Callie
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 11:20am PST 
I'm also going to go with the Crested here mostly because of grooming & allergies. I have a friend with several of these little dogs and they are wonderful! They almost had me thinking of getting one instead of a poodle they're that fabulous! They like to snuggle up in a warm place to nap or run around playing - they're up for either one!
[notify]

Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 11:21am PST 
Lhasas and Pekes are better alone than Tzus and Tibbies. Taking the extremes breeds can go to, Tibbies have more of a reputation than Tzus do, but Tzus can be more demanding of attention (they are bubbly). They are really the only one of the batch that is strictly companion in the doggie sense. Pekes are cat like in believing they are house royalty, and Tzus and Tibbies both have some guarding background.

Whippets are fine. Unlike other sighthounds, they were developed in England. They are more sociable and more trainable. They still are sensitive as all sighthounds are and don't deal well with craziness or change, which is a sighthound trait....that's something I failed to mention in the first go, that and forget off lead lifestyles with any of those. They are very fast and potentially with a strong chase instinct and will be gone in a flash. That's about the only reason you ever see these dogs in rescue, though. They are naturally well mannered, fastidious, quiet and comparatively speaking, save for sensitivity and some shyness, sighthounds are typically free of vice.

The bullies you mentioned? You'd need to think long and hard as they are gassy and can be smelly...which I think would be culture shock for a cat person wink They also snort.

Dobermans do not have high exercise demands. If you were at one point considering a Berner, you could easily consider a Doberman. Hardly a difference. They do really well in city environments. They are *not* dominant. Wherever you heard that, just forget it....that was nonsense wink They are one of the most trainable dogs in the world, and also positively brilliant with a human like intelligence. I'd stay open minded and not cross them off. They do great as first dogs, in terms of house manners are sighthound esque but more tactile but there's a lot more world for them in terms of outings, trainability, etc. Their beautiful look, ease of trainability, manners, and rather inspiring intelligence are all good reasons to mull on them for a while.
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 2:04pm PST 
Mini schnauzers aren't like other terriers. They're german and come from pinchers. they've got dignity, you know.laugh out loud
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 4:17pm PST 
Thanks again everyone. And thanks to all about the heads-up on the bully breeds. Nice dogs, but dogs that probably wouldn't work for me.

Tiller, I think I'll keep the doberman in mind. At first brush, the idea of having a doberman feels a little out there, but I've read a few different posts you've written on other threads, and you seem to know a lot about different breeds of dogs; you've got my curiosity peaked. I've met a doberman before who was just a sweetheart (she was a seeing eye dog). I'll make sure to visit with a breeder so that I can get a feel for the breed. Like I said, my main concern is with the exercise and being left alone, but it sounds like those issues are pretty individualized as far as dobermans are concerned, so if I could find one that would be a good fit, I would have no problem whatsoever with getting one.

Hershey, you mentioned the havanese. I've read a little about these dogs, and they seem like wonderful little dogs. But, I've heard these dogs generally don't do well with being left alone. Can anyone speak to that?

Edited by author Wed Feb 20, '13 4:24pm PST

[notify]
Hershey

Bark it Loud &- Proud!

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 7:07pm PST 
I believe the Havanese have a very sound temperament and are quite adaptable.
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 11:11am PST 
I have heard that Italian Greyhounds are great for people used to cats big grin They are just mini Greyhounds.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 2:57pm PST 
How could I forget the Havanese?red face

Here is a breed I don't think I have ever seen mentioned on dogster , the Japanese Chinthinking Not sure if it floats your boat OP but just for fun:

http://www.digitaldog.com/dog_breed/Japanese+Chin+%28aka+Spa niel%29
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 4:34pm PST 
I love how little the italian greyhound is! I think any cat would look like a panther next to one of those little guys.

I've been hearing good things about the japanese chin. I'm a little less inclined towards them because of their short muzzles, but from all the good I've heard about them, I'll make sure to keep them in mind. I'm also going to do some more research on the havanese. I think my sister has a friend who has one of those. I'll have to ask.

Anyone know much about the Lowchen? A few different dog quizzes have suggested it to me.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4