GO!

Russell terrier?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Buster

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 12:28pm PST 
So I've been watching westminster and these little guys are a new breed. Are they just short legged jack russells as compared to the taller parsons or something completely different?
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 5:54pm PST 
I wish I could remember where I heard/saw it, but I think they are Jack Russells with a new name. Maybe someone else can clarify that. thinking
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 6:00pm PST 
That's what I thought but different websites are saying they were developed in Australia but the jack russell is an english breed so I'm very confused
[notify]

Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 5:03am PST 
I hope someone can pop in and enlighten us...........thinking
[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 10:12am PST 
laugh out loud Now keeping in mind that Jacks’ aren’t my breed, this is my understanding of it-

All these names (Jack Russell Terrier, Parson Russell Terrier, Russell Terrier, English Jack Russell Terrier, etc.) refer essentially to two types of the same breed originally simply known as the Jack Russell Terrier.

Standards for both JRT’s (by the JRTCA- the older club which is opposed to KC recognition) and PRT’s (by the PRTAA- the AKC parent club) call for a dog with ‘square and balanced’ conformation, ie. not a short legged, longer bodied dog.

The Russell Terrier (ARTC) is the shorter legged dog. I believe it is said the breed was developed in Australia because the Australian KC has longer recognized both types, however by their standards the shorter dog is a JRT and the taller dog is a PRT.
[notify]
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 7:26am PST 
Here, in The UK, there are only two 'Russell terrier breeds'...

The shorter legged Jack Russell is not a Kennel Club Registered breed because there is no specific 'breed type' and there's the longer legged Parson Russell which is recognised by The Kennel Club... That's it! Simple as!

I hate it when people start introducing other so-called 'breeds'... The Jack Russell Terrier isn't recognised, so lets introduce practically the same dog, under practically the same name and change it's country of origin! At least change something about the breed...
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 10:34am PST 
So what I thought basically thanks for the confirmation I just got confused about how Australia came into it.

I thought the taller jacks were still called jacks here too only the registered ones were called parsons. Skipper is adorable btw.
[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 11:52am PST 
Here in the US, from ’97 to ’03 PRT’s were still recognized as JRT’s by the AKC, and the parent club (PRTAA) was first called the Jack Russell Terrier Breeders Association, then the Jack Russell Terrier Association of America before finally becoming the PRTAA. So, yeah, in the US the name Jack Russell Terrier refers to the longer legged dog, but apparently in the UK (and Australia) it refers to the shorter legged dog.

Terminology seems to depend a lot on geography and breed club affiliation. laugh out loud
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 1:14pm PST 
In the UK it's more any small terrier that's mostly white tends to get called a jack laugh out loud and even sometimes when they're not mostly white. There is a jack russell club I think that holds terrier shows but most are just pet bred or bred by farmers for working stock.
[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 3:02pm PST 
Ah Buster, you are in the UK! And I know adorable wee Skipper is too. Sorry, both my above posts were made thinking you were in the States- lol @ myself blathering on about AKC. red face

Anyway, I get all kinds of interesting breed guesses on my dogs. One of them actually does have JRT (JRTCA) close up in her pedigree, so sometimes when people call her a Jack, I just agree. Close enough. laugh out loud
[notify]