GO!

APBT/Amstaff/Staffie Comparison

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3  
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 5:18pm PST 
Totally get what you're saying, Roxie. The instructor of the obedience class I go to kind of specializes in aggressive dogs, both DA and HA but most are DA. Onyx is actually the only dog in the advanced class that didn't originally start coming to him because of DA. So I've seen quite a few dogs that have learned they can't attack other dogs that are walking by, and that if there is a situation, the owner will deal with it for them. Most of them are still uncomfortable with strange dogs getting in their space, but all have shown massive improvement.
[notify]
Sheeba

Always remember- the 7th of Feb- 2009 â

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 8:17pm PST 
I know this thread is old (I saw it linked in a more current thread so figured I'll bump it up).

I've had Sheeba for 4 years now, she's a brilliant dog and I love her super much, however I'm unsure what type of "bully breed" she actually has in her. I live in Australia and recently a BSL law has been bought in stating that councils can seize any dog that is a Pit Bull or Pit Bull mix or anything that LOOKS like one (Pit Bulls are a restricted breed in Victoria). We got Sheeba after Australia's worst bush fires, she was found wandering four weeks after them and then was at a vet clinic for 6 weeks. She had severe dog aggression and came to us in heat, the vets said she'd had multiple puppies.

I've been working on her aggression issues heaps and she's come along way, in fact I'm currently doing a course to become a dog trainer. I believe that Sheeba is an American Staffie cross Ridgeback as she's far too big to be an English Staffy and she has the ridge of a ridgeback. What I'm mainly wandering is though is do you think she looks more Pit Bull or more Amstaff? I mean they're basically the same but the government is so darn stupid and the council officers aren't even trained in breed identification. I've had Dogster members say she looks like a pure bred Pit Bull.
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 3:35am PST 
As you may know, Onyx, I am the previous owner (in my teens) of a severely DA Pit Bull. You're well aware that genetics play an enormous role in the way a dog will turn out. When I was that age, however, I thought I could rescue Biscuit, who came from fighting parents in Downtown Indianapolis, and raise that little puppy into a sweetheart who loved everything and everyone. She proved that entirely wrong. She despised other dogs so much she turned on her own pack and would literally foam at the mouth when she spotted another dog - and that was AFTER socialization. So, I think I would steer away from rescuing a puppy, which is something you've already considered avoiding. I would either go the breeder route or rescue an adult well into maturity.
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 7:35am PST 
It can be an individual issue too. I agree that it's often safer and easier to adopt a fully grown adult...wait did I say easier?...okay scratch that...but no really, with an adult "What you see is often what you get". Sophie was uber dog reactive from the first day I took her dirty, bony self into the shelter waiting room.
Callie on the other paw has been known to not even look at passing dogs if smelling a phone pole seems more interesting. He might notice another dog but no pulling or barking. Yet after socializing and everything else Sophie still howls, barks, foams...head and eyeballs spinning...with other dogs on leash.shrug
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3