GO!

APBT/Amstaff/Staffie Comparison

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 2:15pm PST 
I'm curious what the differences between these breeds are. From the bit of reading I've done, APBTs and Amstaffs are pretty similar to each other, and Staffies are pretty different? I'm wondering both about temperament differences and a bit about the history of how each breed came about.

The only thing I've heard about Pits that's kept me from seriously looking into possibly getting one is the DA. I know an adult rescue is the obvious solution to that, and I haven't discounted that possibility, but I would also be interested in showing, either AKC or UKC. I know APBTs aren't an AKC recognized breed, but my bit of conformation experience is with the UKC anyway.

I keep telling myself I can't get a Pit, but I've been fascinated with them for years, and I'm not sure I can hold out forever laugh out loud
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 5:28pm PST 
I am not any kind of expert on these breeds, but I think that they all have a real potential for DA.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 5:34pm PST 
Do you mean the SBT?

Hugely over populated here and rescues are busting at the seams with Staffies and their crosses frown

Real sweethearts though. Known as the "nanny" dog because of their love of children. However the wrong types of people owning them has given the breed a bad reputation, much like the Pitbull has, hence why so many are in rescue and why so many linger.

I'm interested in potentially rescuing one in the future too. They can be predisposed to DAbut i've seen many that are friendly with other dogs too, so it's not impossible.
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 6:13pm PST 
Some people go completely bonkers about what is what with bullies. If you look at some breed guides they have clear pics usually as to the difference in sizes and appearance. From a purely observational perspective...note to people who know exact breed specifications, I know almost nothing about dogs beyond what Sophie has taught me...

An American Bulldog has a huge head and broad chest and massive shoulders, the back end often totally is out of proportion to the front...wittle bittie back legs, muscular but small. AmBullies have the adorable tendency to lay like a frog better known as frog buttlaugh out loud

The American Staffordshire has a slighter proportioned head, smaller chest,longer front and back legs, still some serious shoulders and muscular all over.

Staffordshires that aren't American are smaller-AmStaffs average 40-60lbs-Staffordshires have the general appearance but weigh more like 30-45 pounds.

Pit bull terriers have amusing shaped heads, look in a breed guide...

I personally would suggest an American Staffordshire as a good first bully dog. All bullies can be strong, stubborn and potentially dangerous without training. Many bullies are also the essential happy, goofy, overgrown lap dog. I suggest AmStaffs because they sometimes aren't quite as physically strong as the average AmBull. Their appearance is also often less striking than an AmBull.
When I walk Sophie-considered an AmStaff-people see a large dog with some pitty features and big shoulders. When I walk Callie-considered AmBull-people will jump in the street or go out of their way not to pass him. Plus he is an uber strong doggie. Sophie can pull, but even in a strong harness Callie is like walking a tank. Loving an AmStaff gives you experiencedog walk

Edited by author Thu Feb 14, '13 6:32pm PST

[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 7:33pm PST 
I do have a decent grip on general Pit traits. I know most are cuddle bugs, eager to please although somewhat hardheaded, great with people, may or may not be okay with other dogs at maturity, strong dogs, high energy. I know lots of people are terrified of them, BSL, ect.

In addition to showing, I'm actually pretty interested in weight pulling, so strong would be a-okay. Mostly I'm wondering about temperament differences, because I'm not sure which would be the best fit.

There is a good chance I'd go with an adult rescue or breeder rehome, known to be good with other dogs. Obviously with a rescue I'd be looking at individuals more than breed, but inquiring minds want to know!

Edited by author Thu Feb 14, '13 9:04pm PST

[notify]
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 CL4- OAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 9:02pm PST 
Staffies and Staffy bulls ( staffordshire bull terriers) *sometimes* tend to be more regulated because they are AKC breeds, so you are likely to find a genuine good breeder, I would personally hate to however, because of all the bully breed type dogs in the shelter that never get adopted because of how they look.

I think Staffies and APBT are basically the same, though I know others would argue differently. " Pit bulls " tend to be more wide range in size and shape, as again, staffies and staffie bulls are more similar in size within their breed. Even though I own a half pit bull mix ( just a generic ' pit bull' mix) I personally would love a Staffie Bull. Compact, agile, super duper sweet and seems to love dogs too ( though I know theres exceptions..)

Edited by author Thu Feb 14, '13 9:04pm PST

[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 9:05pm PST 
The Pittie types I've seen at our dog park are big gomers...love to play...with any dog...happy...and I've seen no DA there. shrug
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 9:39pm PST 
Yeah, Wiki kind of made it sound like American Pit Bull Terrier and American Staffordshire Terrier were just the UKC and AKC's different names for the same breed of dog.

That does remind me, I should mention, I do prefer the leaner, more athletic type of Pit. Not a fan of the American Bully style dogs as much. I love a muscular dog, but not really the low to the ground, chunky type.
[notify]
Roxie

BOING!

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 2:40am PST 
Even if not completely DA, Bully breeds can still tend towards SSA so i'd be careful of that!

Just speaking from my experience.. Roxie is a Staffie cross, and she is typical of a bully breed. As far as high strung goes, Roo spent her first few years bouncing off the walls if she didnt get enough exercise... I could take her for an 8 miles bike ride and she'd get home and want to play laugh out loud .Put it this way... Here she is after a day of no walks - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkLvRwRFdfE laugh out loud

The only thing that puts me off getting another Bully breed is the potential for DA. I know that can be avoided by choosing an adult rescue but after all the fights between Roxie and Trix is has unfortunately made me over-cautious.

The similarities and differences have already been mentioned.. As far as history goes,at a basic level they all originated from the Terrier/Bulldog crosses here in England and of course when they reached America the dogs were developed more-so and became the APBT that exists today, whilst the English dogs were Staffordshire Bull Terriers. I think the APBT/ AmStaff split was basically just a political thing as far as registering goes. I have heard that there are dogs that exist as AmStaffs on ACK registers and APBT on a different register? Not too sure about that though smile.
[notify]
Oliver

Gotta love me !

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 5:01am PST 
Oliver is an APBT and I worried about that when I brought him home as a puppy. I just made sure I socialized him all the time and I still get him together with lots of dogs because I know D.A. can happen after they are 2yrs. old and he will be 2yrs soon. So far he loves other dogs and since I board dogs at my house he is around dogs a lot so I think that will help him from becoming D.A.
I think the key is training and socialization.

Edited by author Fri Feb 15, '13 5:06am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3