GO!

Most "bomb-proof" breeds?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 7: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 3:52pm PST 
Pssst, smaller but perhaps bomb-proof - Siberian Husky laugh out loud

Curious what Tiller would have to say vs my limited (and perhaps very fortunate) experience
[notify]
Lancer

Lickin your feet- all the time

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 4:52pm PST 
I'm not so sure about huskies- I've seen more than a few huskies who become a ball of too-much-excitement with small dogs on walks, and a decent percentage in rescue too who are labeled as such by their foster parents... Am I wrong to say that huskies have a renowned prey drive?

It ends up that I'm now most on my guard when I spot a husky ahead on a walk (my dogs are both under 30 lbs). Though I'd love to see what input Tiller has. They're really physically stunning dogs!

So far, it seems my initial considerations before I created this topic (Newfoundlands and Great Pyrenees) are still at the top of the list, with Goldens and GSD's as potential runner-ups... wink Though I've personally experienced my share of excitable Goldens... I won't go into little side stories at the moment though, LOL

Edited by author Tue Feb 19, '13 5:00pm PST

[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 5:12pm PST 
Goldens are like Mini Schnauzers. A Mini is one of the most perfect dogs you will ever meet...a CORRECT Mini. They are fearless but happy all the time, just happy little joy boxes, eager to learn, love to play and get along with everyone. Just a perfect, perfect dog. But they are RAMPANTLY bred commercially, and they don't mill breed well. Very, very few people have had the privilege of having met a correct Mini. And very few people, too, have had the privilege of meeting a correct Golden. They are incredibly sane and level dogs.

Huskies? Bomb proof? Funny....I thought they WERE bombs laugh out loud big laugh

I guess it depends on your interpretation. They are pretty unflappable in their own husky way, but they are chaos. They need hoops of exercise, and are inveterate escape artists who make dust so fast and end up in another galaxy, not exactly fretting on where you are or what you're doing wink Life is an adventure....they can't help ya if you're pent up about it with your fences and such! Fail on their huge exercise demands, and they can be EPIC in their destructiveness. Their prey drive is high, particularly against small critters like cats. They actually end up on BSL lists for the trouble they get in on their forays. They also bore very easily. And can be incredibly noisy.

Did anyone here see that video? This couple got an email from friends that their husky had been on the news that night! Apparently she got out, trekked several miles to a department store, walked in looking like a wolf, went to the pet section, grabbed a big old dog bone, and then walked out with it! laugh out loud All caught on the security cameras, and then aired. THAT is quintessential husky to me wink

People who love them have fantastic dogs, and many a husky aren't that bad. But they line shelters like nuts due to their escapades, and would do well to be less popular than they are. Def a breed that requires an invested owner. So, so often I find them kept in twos. As in you got the one, but it was all so too much you got a second to entertain them.
[notify]

Ace

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 6:13pm PST 
Well sure, huskies have their issues, but bomb-proof as originally described "Meaning, least likely to become anxious, fearful, or aggressive towards strangers, cars, kids, and other dogs"

Kale and Teeko aren't fazed by kids. Kale is especially gentle and approachable, being older.

They can get excited about seeing other dogs on walks, large or small, but it's a different excitement than seeing a squirrel. Kale supposedly gets along with cats even, although I haven't personally seen it, my daughter has.

And after a day at the dog park last week where one adult brought in 3 small dogs, 3 young children, and scooters and a tricycle for the kids, into the big dog side of the park, and no problem... Better than being no problem, they all played well with the small dogs.

They need nice long walks or a dog park visit every day. I rarely walk them less than 90 minutes in the morning, or spend less than an hour at the park with them running around. Before Teeko came along, shorter evening walks were a must also, but now the two younger dogs play enough to wind down in the evening. They're not always "on". Ace is more "on" than the other two, but I think her husky is mixed with Belgian Malinois and/or GSD. She's the one more likely to get bored than the huskies.

That said, I know they're not for everyone, and too many wind up in shelters because people don't know what they're getting into. I don't consider the huskies we have to be annoyingly noisy - my mix is more likely to be making the noise unless it's over food. They can dig out of a fenced yard. We've experienced that. But it's rare because they're not left alone a lot. And we fixed the most diggable spot. Notoriously difficult to train for recall. I don't take them to any open areas off-leash.

There was also a recent story in the news about a loose husky who jumped in someone's backseat and started eating their pizza, and the owners of the car and demolished pizza were intimidated out of getting the husky out of the car and had to call the cops. Me, I think if they'd handed over the breadsticks, everything would have been fine. laugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 6:43pm PST 
"Meaning, least likely to become anxious, fearful, or aggressive towards strangers, cars, kids, and other dogs"

I have never met a GSD that didn't have at LEAST a mild fixation with wheels. Cars, bicycles, skateboards, toy cars, all will drive a lot of GSDs bonkers! Even laid back, cool as a cucumber Sabi can't resist chasing wheeled things. My very dedicated efforts have resulted in her restricting her efforts to remote control cars and the occasional skateboard, but I have yet to meet a GSD who won't fall for a spinning wheel.laugh out loud
Not to mention their slightly 'breedist' views on other dogs.laugh out loud
[notify]
Lancer

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 7:22pm PST 
Tiller, Ace, Sabi, this is all very informative. big grin Huskies seem bold, happy, and carefree, in short. I'm trying to imagine the possibility of a combo Husky Newfoundland together in a household. The husky would probably think the Newfie boring and run off doing his own things anyway, am I right?

Sabi, that's very interesting to know about the GSD- I always thought them to be bomb-proof in certain ways, but I didn't know they were also particularly crazy with wheels! Currently, my 5 month old Lancer is having big problems with cars passing by... the issue popped up suddenly out of the blue a couple weeks ago, and we're trying to gradually condition him to cars again, though we're not sure exactly how efficient the conditioning method is working. confused Hmmm should this be posted in the behavior/training forum? LOL

I'm all just very curious about the details of the breeds, particularly the Newfoundland, at this point. I didn't see any forums listed under it on the "dog breed directory" thread made a few years ago or any particular personal experience with them other than being "the best nanny" and such. I imagine they should be one of the most bomb-proof in all ways (including unexcitable), but does anyone have personal experience with the breed?

Edited by author Tue Feb 19, '13 7:25pm PST

[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 7:50pm PST 
Me smile
[notify]
Lancer

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 7:55pm PST 
Tiller hail
I don't want to ask too much of you, but I'd be obliged if you have the time to spread the Newfoundland knowledge!

Edited by author Tue Feb 19, '13 7:59pm PST

[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 7:56pm PST 
Newfs yes, angels, darlings, sweet as pie, gentle as kittens.
[notify]
Ace

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 7:59pm PST 
FWIW we have a Newfie living right behind up, who we run into on walks once in a while. Ace charges up in her exuberant style, and he's fine with it. Teeko and Kale are less excitable, but still get along with neighbor Newfie when we see them.

I do like this Newfie. He's a sweetie. But the drool laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 7: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7