GO!

Westminster tonight!

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 6 of 7: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 2:07pm PST 
Tiller and Toto, what did you think of Oakley, the GWP? I rather liked him, although he certainly wasn't a flashy dog -- nor are they meant to be.

The Golden world is heavy with talk of bad fronts on the Goldens -- I think Cody was one of the better Goldens I have seen in a while, though. He did have a lovely head.

Edited to add: Did anyone find the Lab a bit chunky? I didn't think as chunky as in years past, though.

Edited by author Thu Feb 14, '13 2:08pm PST

[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 2:23pm PST 
He was chunky, yes. But ones I have seen in the past were much worse. I can't judge by Savvy's build because she is so far off standard, but even she with her weight issues looks more fit than the winner.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 2:34pm PST 
I thought the lab was pretty good, actually. I tried to see it roll but it didn't, and I could actually see the shoulder angle and there was no flab on the underbelly.
I liked that GWP, but it's not a breed I know enough about to comment. Goldens have needed some help with their fronts for many years, IMO... so do many, many labs. Terrier fronts are really sad in sporting breeds!!!!
[notify]

Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 3:07pm PST 
The Flattie really wasn't much to write home about, either. But I did like that flashy black Am. Cocker!
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 4:15pm PST 
Just came across this and was thrilled:
Photos of All the Best of Breeds

So nice to be able to have a second look at the dogs. smile

As you may have noticed, for a field person, I'm a total Westminster fangirl! laugh out loud
[notify]
Dyno

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 5:13pm PST 
The german shepherd breaks my heart poor dog...
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 5:43pm PST 
Ooo, I love that, Watson!
[notify]
Mitchell- Rapp "Black- Ops"

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 9:24pm PST 
So glad to see all the Westminster fans out here, I am a total freak about watching all the shows. Mitchell's Grandfather, Andy "Chuckanut's Party Flavor O Novel" took BOB and Group 1 winner in 06 at Westminister, so I am always watching the sporting group and working group, just love seeing all those wonderful dogs. I have always had Goldens and I love participating in the matches.
I knew the Affen would get it, he was on his game to be sure, and I just loved Swagger, my heart went out to all of them.
Tim Brasier who handled the Standard poodle (he handles all the poodle sizes) has been a client for a long time, he brings his charges in to have procedures done and will sit, wait and braid the poodles hair, so interesting, he is wild and so fun.
So nice to read everyones thoughts.dog
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 9:27pm PST 
That's ok, Wat! You just appreciate a good dog. These are good, too, 'cept different wink I've said before, I had my own "aha" with Hatter, the GSD, who was a tepid controversy in that he wasn't astoundingly correct, but he was such a master showman with a temperament that wasn't merely proper but had you thinking he was a "great guy." He was just this marvelous character. If you down this page just a sec, there is a picture of him sitting before his press, all by his lonesome wink, that I feel grabs who he was better than any other. If there was a dog who could have converted the most ardent dog hater, it was this one. Even his most rabid detractors thought he was the coolest dog they'd ever met wink

This year, I thought Lab was ok....sometimes they are fat. That dog wasn't fat. I was all over the GWP in that they are a bit like Giants....tend not to excel in the worlds of specials, so it is nice to see one doing so well. I however thought the dog seemed not on his best game, a little ala Westminster distracted. Thought the Cocker asked for it more. No bias....he's not my favorite Cocker....but I came away thinking the class was more his.

I love that Smooth Fox and always have. The face marking is just....I mean, c'mon, WOW!....and I have never seen him not be the quintessential Fox Terrier in terms of his carriage and attitude. That's really my "deal" in terms of show dogs I love. They should be just scream whatever it is they are supposed to be.

The winner is show dog, through and through wink I can't remember what year, but one where he lost Group I thought he was the winner. It was going to be luck of the draw whether he won this show or not, some year. He's just a brilliant show dog, and I was happy to see him put up. I don't really get lost in breed bias and such at Westminster. I divide the line between a "correct" dog and a show dog. That to me is a function, and if someone wants to spend bizarre sums of money making a star out of a dog who is one, that's ok. These dogs don't grow on trees.

Everyone ragged on the GSD, but she could have worse and she's an old lady. If I could have a GSD pressing eight move like that, and I'd be feeling pretty good. I agree with Toto. She is an all rounder (she was a Select as a younger bitch, Toto). People need to look at the big specialty dogs too rather than define by an annual Westminster view.

The entry I think had some compromise with Jimmy Moses judging, but people are just going to need to get used to it. He knows every body, he's handled every dog....he can't judge a show where he doesn't have some personal connection. I think it's a whole lot of cat clawing, IMO. He'll put the best dog up and is a little Annie Rogers Clark with a shrewd eye for what a dog could be under better handling. Just in a round about way I read a piece of the legendary Afghan Tryst of Grandeur, and there his name crops up once again where he provided some mentorship and of what a difference that made. His eye for a good dog is uncanny. And for all the screams of how he ruined the breed, a lot of people hated Dallas initially and said he was nothing, looked too German, bladdy blah, but he persevered with him and that has done the breed a world of good. That was a really nice dog and he proved a sensational sire. Has really firmed up pasterns, his dogs are fantastic on sheep, super stable. Much like that Doberman Fifi getting stuck with a Doberman judge this year, Dallas was really unlucky to show under one judge who refused to forgive his soft ear....she denied him Group the first year, and then he got stuck with her in the BIS ring the next confused Oh well wink

I will be curious what they do about the classes. The OES cracked through, and taking out the rarer or newer breeds, so did the Irish Wolfhound and Boston. Those came out of the classes also. For Toto, if you want to click up to 28:00 the judge seems an ogling sigh of awe wink (and this dog got breed at the hands of past BIS judge James Reynolds). I think felt very confident he was sending a live one into the big finale.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 9:47pm PST 
Tiller, my GSD came from Hatter's breeder. He was about 4 years younger than Hatter and was one hell of a dog.

Still gives me chills to see Manhattan's pictures read about him.

Edited by author Thu Feb 14, '13 9:51pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 6 of 7: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7