GO!

Westminster tonight!

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 5 of 7: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 9:18am PST 
Hey JT, here ya go! You can watch the breed judging, some of the group judging, but not BIS yet.

I was thrilled with the terrier group line up! Love that Smooth Fox! I figured the Wire would do well, but the Border and that Russell Terrier were a nice surprise.
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 5:18pm PST 
I've been a big fan of Fifi, since last year & am a fan of her FB page, lol. She is well put together.

My favorite of the whole show was allllll the Spaniels. No surprise there, right? laugh out loud The black Cocker caught my eye last year and still could be a contender one of these days. He's quite the showman!

To be honest, I almost think the PWD was a political move. Nice looking dog, though.

I really liked the Wire Haired, but I have a fondness for the breed.

Banana Joe should win just for the name alone! I was annoyed at first, but after re-watching the show, I concede it was a good choice.

I'm not clear on the concept of a reserve winner, though........Is that in case the winner gets busted with performance enhancing drugs, or if naked pics show up on the internet????? thinking
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 7:25pm PST 
Dahlia, I came in actually to ask the same thing about the reserve winner. Maybe in case they find out someone's got a weave laugh out loud

Edited by author Wed Feb 13, '13 7:26pm PST

[notify]

Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 7:29pm PST 
Reserve is "second best," and I was thrilled to see that. It's an acknowledgement that had the winner not excelled, that this is the dog who would have won. So think of it as "honorable mention."
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 4:29am PST 
However, Nicky, you are right with your definition of reserve when it comes to the regular classes, i.e. reserve winners dog or bitch. I have received points for going reserve but it was because the winner was entered in a class it was not eligible for, which is the most common reason it happens. In that case, the winner has the points taken away and they are given to the reserve winner.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 10:33am PST 
Would be curious, Toto, if you feel the Westminster KC did that as that sort of a safety, or just to add to the prestige? I was assuming the latter. Are you glad they brought the classes back? I obviously am wink
[notify]
Liam

Lil Country Boy

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 12:35pm PST 
The havanese in the toy group from ft. pierce was one the dogs from where I work. Shame he didnt win. Poor Kenny. D:
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 1:12pm PST 
I'm having a stoopid attack. again. What is a PWD? (I hope I remember before someone answers me.)
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 1:16pm PST 
Portuguese Water Dog.

thanks, one remaining brain cell.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 1:27pm PST 
Portuguese Water Dog, Savanna.
Tiller, I also believe the reserve was added for more interest since it is almost impossible for a breed champion to be ineligible for BIS, since all those little particulars for the classes don't pertain to BOB entries. However, it MAY (???) have something to do with bringing the classes back???
I sort of have mixed feelings about the classes being back...to me it sort of makes it just another show, which it certainly is not. However, I have had TWO labs in the olden days win the points at Westminster and it's a nice feather in any breeders cap.
That said, at least in the breeds I checked, the class entries were terrible, most were so small there wasn't even a point available for the win. I would suspect that may be reason enough to go back to specials only, especially if they try it again and the entry remains so poor.
And, some how my post of the other night got lost... my Darrell is the maternal grandsire of the Frenchie. And, sadly, I fell asleep just as the herding dogs came into the ring so I completely missed the OES. I did feel that GSD was a nice dog...certainly NOT a major Speciality winner, a bit more of an all arounder type. BUT, again, they had a very, very low entry so there really wasn't alot of choices to pick. It is TOUGH to deal with showing a GSD at Westminster!!!
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 7: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7