GO!

Westminster tonight!

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 7: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 11:45am PST 
My highlight....and I admit that in the absence of a once-in-a-lifetime Man O'War type greatness I am always about the underdog....was the OES, who is just a baby and not even a finished champion yet, coming in against veteran specials in the most intimidating/overwhelming venue and winning. The judge had a rather overt reaction.

The Affenpinsher who won Toy, FIY, is a masterful show dog who has done a crazy amount of winning. Should she win breed, favored is the Doberman Fifi, who really could have won last year....she gave a winning turn, and is likely to do so again. Tiller's half sister is showing today....she is Sofia should she make it through breed. Major winners in the sport, the German Wirehaired Pointer and the black Am Cocker, are in.....both dangerous....as is the Wirehaired Fox, who is in and the top show dog in the country right now. A Wirehaired Fox at Westminster is a VERY dangerous dog in the BIS ring.

FYI....Cappy could not show this year in GSDs because Jimmy Moses was judging. He put that BC up, who I thought had a nicer profile than those in years past. Very happy to see him apply himself as a judge. The winning bitch GSD is eight. Less extreme dogs are doing well at specialities, and maybe in time that catches up. Cappy is a nice dog.

I never try to pick....I just like certain dogs. I absolutely loved the Bouvier. Amazing topline and movement. She was my ogle for last night wink, and like the OES not even finished yet. I love that they have classes back at Westminster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by author Tue Feb 12, '13 11:47am PST

[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 11:51am PST 
I thought...overall that the hound group looked pretty fit. Didn't notice any chubs in there.

Really loved some of the breeds I had never looked at much before... Like Borzoi. Just a poem! And the Ridgeback, like I said. And most of the coonhounds...

Always did like a Blue Tick. If you can believe it I FOUND one once. Beautiful dog. Gave it over to a hound rescue and it got rehomed. Some sap had put it out of his car.
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 12:14pm PST 
By promoting unnecessary breeding, I don't mean responsible breeders working to maintain a breed. I mean creating the consumption craze for the newest "it" dog, breeding of which is taken over by BYB because of demand. When everyone into dog trends thinks Breed X is so cute, overwhelming responsible breeders, and people get Breed X from just anywhere. When the BYB crowd sees dollar signs because a breed is suddenly popular...

Does that make sense?

And the GSD... I really don't care for the hind end of the show dogs. They're not the GSDs I remember from when I was a kid.

It can be fun to watch, but I just have concerns about people deciding they want one of the little dust mop dogs with zero idea of the grooming they take, or a Belgian Malinois without any idea of their drive, etc... No offense to little dust mop dogs, just not my thing laugh out loud

I went to the Westminster website for video of the Belgian Malinois breed competition, and have myself convinced again that Ace has a heavy dose of Mal in her gene pool, even though she's clearly not purebred anything. I kind of want to watch the Sibe competition too, to get an idea which one of our two fits the breed standard better. Just curiosity...

But I don't need perfect form or talent from my dogs, so shelter and rescue are the way I'll always go.
[notify]

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 12:15pm PST 
I recorded the first part because I missed it and had to record a rerun(I HAVE to see my hounds. wink ) and I'm recording tonight's second half of it too.

No input yet though, lol.

OMG.. Just saw a preview of the hound group and that Beagle! Sooooo sweet looking. I love Beagles too much, perhaps. cheer

Edited by author Tue Feb 12, '13 12:20pm PST

[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 12:18pm PST 
Well, Ace...I pretty much feel the same way. I do love to look at the various breeds, but to the shelter I will go. (or breed rescue, done that too!)
[notify]
Ch. Darrell, in memory

Design jewelry,- not dogs!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 2:58pm PST 
Well, a brag! My Darrell is the grandfather of the group placing Frenchie!!!
As for titles on both ends, most of those dogs are young and typically, the other titles come when they are not actively showing anymore. There are plenty of titles in their sires and dams on BOTH ends, if you bothered to look!
[notify]
Graham

Part angel, part- devil, all dog

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 3:14pm PST 
Congratulations Darrell happy dance That was a beautiful dog.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 3:19pm PST 
Go brag.....that's awesome! Grandpa top or bottom?

The Doberman is in. Her and that Affenpincsher seem pretty 100% dogs all the time....always show well. I'd think the most competitive Group will be the sporting. A bit back to the old days if we get a black Cocker and WH Fox in the BIS ring.

Wonder what you think of the OES, Toto and co? Went BIS in getting his first major?
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 3:49pm PST 
LOVE FiFi! I'll definitely be rooting for her in the working group.

As for Am show bred GSDs, not a fan either but I fell in love with Cappy immediately. His rear doesn't look like it's falling off the face of the planet and I would just like to see that rewarded as much as possible!
[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 4:17pm PST 
Cappy is nice and wins a LOT. So don't fret.....he just couldn't go this year with Jimmy Moses judging breed. Here he is on a free stack. Jimmy Moses is a master at stretching a dog (that's Cappy as well), and that can be frustrating for those who only look at win pictures. GSDs are heading to less extreme. The dominant show dog and sire who so many are rooting off of, Dallas, was not extreme at all, so that was a swing in the right direction. I think it will continue to get better, but only so far as they want that trot. Cappy is a Dallas grandson, who unlike some other show greats proved a truly sensational sire (his offspring have really sound work ability also; Dallas was no powerderpuff), and from a really nice, deep, old Covy Tucker female line, and those tend to have excellent health, longevity and very strong OB.

Heading off to watch at Applebees with Duncan. Very exciting with Banana Joe in there, the OES, hot Sporting Group, Doberman, and of course the Wire Fox!

Edited by author Tue Feb 12, '13 4:19pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 3 of 7: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7