GO!

Westminster tonight!

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 7: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 9:28am PST 
I did pretty well on my picks except for the toys. I only root for the Iggie there no matter what, lol. In the hounds I picked the Fox Hound (he was a favorite to win, anyway) and the Otterhound, although I liked the Bluetick -- sentimental favorite for me. I love sighthounds, but really wasn't impressed with them this year. frown

I just knew that Bichon was going to take the Non-Sporting group. He was a flashy little dog! big grin I really need to learn more about gaits -- I can't tell the proper gait on a Frenchie at all! shock The Standard Poodle was marvelous!

I always enjoy the Herding group! Swagger, the OES, was an obvious pick when he lived up to his name. I also liked the Beaceron and the Canaan. But I liked the Mal and the Briard -- they are just so cute with their ears. I have absolutely no idea how to evaluate a Puli.

So my picks were 6 of one, half dozen of another! shock

How did you all do?

Looking forward to the Sporting Group, my favorite tonight. And of course the Golden won't win, but I will root for his cousins and the spaniels too, and the Setters. I do like dogs with coat, but there was a fantastic Weim last year, soooo can't be too biased.

I also enjoy the Working group.

Promises to be a good night.

Everyone enjoy!

And if responsible, ethical breeders were the only ones breeding, we would not have a dog overpopulation problem. The problem is not shelter dogs, either, it's getting shelter dogs to the people who want them.

Spoken as someone with a breeder dog, 3 rescues, and planning on another breeder pup. And I have no guilt at all about getting a new dog from a responsible breeder, they are there to breed healthy dogs and better dogs.
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 9:42am PST 
This was pointed out to me on another forum I frequent:

"Monday's BOBs:

No Dual Champions among the BOBs so far

No lure coursing titles among any of sighthound BOBs, not even a JC (Junior Courser)

No companion titles among the Toy BOBs

Nothing at all among Non-Sporting BOBs

A PT ('Pre-Trial') herding title on the Belgian Malinois

An RA (Rally Advanced) on the Entelbucher Mountain Dog

A HT (Herding Tested) on the GSD

MX (Master Agility Excellent), AXJ (Excellent Agility Jumper) and OF (Open Fast, another agility title) on the Icelandic Sheepdog"

That's a very thin smattering of non-show titles on these BOB dogs. Considering I'm more concerned about performance than conformation I'm pretty disappointed -- though not surprised.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 9:52am PST 
Was wowed by the hound group...many very fine looking dogs there. Really liked the Ridgeback, such swagger!

Didn't stay up to see Herding, one of my faves. Will try to catch sporting, my other fave - tonight. Hope the Labs are not too fat.
[notify]

Xx Sabrina- Selene xX

The American- Bully Goddess

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 10:24am PST 
Watching it live online right now. Waiting on the doberman group
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 10:25am PST 
You might be able to pick up herding online? thinking

Yes, I would like to see more performance titles myself. It's funny that I watch Westminster, considering that I want a performance puppy myself, from at least one parent titled in at least 2 different sports, such as OB or agility and AKC hunt test. (I'm planning on a Golden pup in 2-3 years, of course.) I really don't care if the parents are American or Canadian conformation Champions. I'd love to see JH and SH on the Sporting Dogs, and herding titles on the herding breeds. And titles on the hounds. And I'm sure some of these dogs would actually have fun working, or feel more fulfilled, although others show real flash in the show ring.

But there's just something about Westminster, seeing all those different breeds that we rarely see. I was lucky enough to attend the AKC Eukanuba National in Orlando this December, and the Meet the Breeds was fantastic. Spent forever there. Have to admit I didn't watch much of the conformation, though. Mostly OB, a little agility, and lots of dock diving, lol. I highly recommend going to the nearest bigger dog show you can; I've been lucky to go to a nice one in Baltimore -- the one in Vermont here is quite small, full of Goldens, mostly, lol.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 10:52am PST 
Watched it, and I'm planning on watching the rest tonight smile

I actually enjoy watching conformation showing, and hope to participate in it with my next dog, but yes, I do agree that it would be better if the dogs had some performance titles as well as conformation titles.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 11:21am PST 
Did catch some video of herding. Was that cattle dog on the chubby side? He looked a little more than muscular to me.

I guess I am obsessed by weight, since I have been dieting down a lab for...well years now.

Life is a diet for Savannah!
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 11:39am PST 
Almost 100% of the dogs you will see in the show ring are overweight, if not obese.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 11:41am PST 
And it was such a handsome dog otherwise.

Savvy will never be lean, but she no longer looks like a walking barrel.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 11:45am PST 
I see a lot of overweight dogs, but there were some sleek ones, the Xolo, the Beauceron, the Pharoah, the Ibizan, the Saluki, some of the scenthounds, the Iggie, etc. But you do tend to see fat Labs, Corgis, etc. I did not like the look of the Cattle Dog particularly. The Vizsla had better be sleek!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 7: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7