GO!

*****DO NOT BUY FROM KEYSTONE PUPPIES******

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 8 of 17: Viewing entries 71 to 80)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Aug 2, '13 12:25pm PST 
I want to add that often people like the previous guest assume puppies from a reputable breeder ARE going to cost the figures they stated when in reality, MOST breeders (yes, reputable breeders who show and health test and breed occasionally), do NOT charge any more than those puppies in the pet stores and/or mills. In fact, some of us even charge LESS than those pet store puppies.
Without calling some of these breeders and checking, you will never know!!! Those with bigger kennels and more money to devote to showing and advertising usually DO charge more but there are plenty of us smaller breeders who do all the same testing and socializing yet charge a much more reasonable price as our expenses are not as high.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Aug 2, '13 1:20pm PST 
I completely agree with the above. This has become an internet age, and very often the high profile internet advertisers are also the keenest to make money. Or those who advertise in regional classifieds may be aware of the low supply, figure they can cash in more. There is a whole other world of breeders who don't need/want to advertise, and oftentimes their prices are not inflated. Best start point is always with the national breed club, which often is the only ready source to the true hobby breeders, who are the good guys smile
[notify]

Barked: Fri Aug 2, '13 1:21pm PST 
Tiller - Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I live in central NJ and would very much like to know reputable breeders in the area that are charging less than $2000. We are looking for a Havenese puppy. The place I visited did have a take back policy but she did not have a speuter clause.

Toto - I did call many breeders in my area. The prices I mentioned were exactly what I was quoted over the phone. If you are correct that small reputable breeders will charge less than puppy store prices (> $1000) please help me find one.

A comment on the generalizations made on this thread ....IMO to state that every person connected to the Keystone site is a miller and only looking to make a fast buck is just not fair. Does the site have some bad breeders ... of course it does .... however it seems that there are also good ones associated with the site which I think my expectance seems to prove. I guess it all comes back to us to do as much research as you can about a place (information is out there even if it is hard to find) and then make the best decision you can based on that information.

I do very much appreciate the responses and hearing your thoughts on this tough topic.
[notify]

Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Fri Aug 2, '13 1:48pm PST 
Guest.. Most breeders do not list their puppy prices, so you'll have to give some of these people calls / e-mails inquiring about their dogs.

http://wyndwardhavanese.com/

Breed Club:
http://dvhc.homestead.com/breederef.html
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Aug 2, '13 2:03pm PST 
2000-5000 dollars?!! I have been in touch with a few reputable breeders of Standard Poodles and Bernese Mountain dogs here in Canada. The prices were between 1500 and 1700 dollars, which is a long way from 5000! I agree with the idea of saving up the money. You have a bit of time from time of research, the actual breeding , and up until to the time the dogs are ready to go smile
[notify]

Barked: Sat Aug 3, '13 8:57am PST 
I posted earlier about the Chocolate Lab pups, only I found mine in Lancaster, PA. I honestly like what the one person said about the dogs. How do you know their shyness wasn't due to behavior issues. We have decided to stop our search for now for puppies due to all the scams we have found or none in our area. I would rather wait to find a puppy, than risk one from a pet store or mill. My boyfriend on the other hand would rather go to the Pet Depot up here in Vestal, NY and buy the Chocolate Lab pup for $850. The have gave a one year health guarantee and 2 year guarantee on the hip thing. Not sure if it's a good deal or not. I'm just not willing to risk it. Like I said I will wait and find one around here. I have kids and I'm not willing to have them crushed cause we are impatient. As for the breeder prices, I have found breeders up here in NY that do charge that amount I have called myself. Yes they do want 2-5k for puppies. I found a lab pup for 3k. Yeah not paying that.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sun Aug 4, '13 1:40pm PST 
Havanese guest.....

Well, took a little doing! It is always interesting to me to delve into the basic market aspects of another breed, and it seems $2,000 is pretty common confused

Whatever the case, I decided to do my Puppyfind thing. Now on some sites you will hear Puppyfind is awful, awful, awful! Certainly, there IS awful there, but it also is the stomping grounds of rarer breed people of quality, and as well smaller hobbyist breeders looking for some exposure. A good trick is to check there regularly in your breed search, and then sleuth. You seem to know what to look for, so GOOD! Look for that. Look for the testing, the quality, the breeder experience and support and so on. Lots of people say "we health test" but when you look for some proof in that pudding, it is not there. People know how to con and talk the talk, so you need to be heads up.

At any rate, I followed a link for a very cute puppy for $1,200, and landed HERE They look promising. In NYC.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 5:03am PST 
I was just wondering because I searched Keystone Puppies and some of the breeders mentioned on the USDA's APHIS database and didn't find them. Even if the USDA doesn't go back and change things, the violation information can be shared publicly in an attempt to spread the truth about what goes on in the mills.

Labradoodle breeders florida
[notify]

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 6:25am PST 
Tiller - Than you again for your reply. I emailed that breeder this morning. I will let you know what I find out.

Kind regards,
Havenese Guest
[notify]

Barked: Sun Aug 18, '13 4:00pm PST 
Well, let me tell you. My 10 year old Rottie Brandi was diagnosed with Sarcoma the week of July 4th and it took her in two weeks. My wife and I were devastated. I had begun a search prior to Brandi's death knowing what was best for both the family's mental health and security interest given where we live. The Rottweiler is the perfect blend of loving family dog and smart, protective deterrent. I went on Keystone Puppies. I found a breeder named Glenn Stoltzfus in Central, PA. I checked out his Veterinary Hospital. I set up a meeting. I met the mother (brought along my St Bernard female as well to see if the mother was properly socialized). The mother was about 110 lbs, beautiful, friendly, interacted with our Saint extremely well, was extremely affectionate and at ease. Glenn brought out the remaining two female puppies. We chose one. We are EXTREMELY happy. The breeding line was disclosed. All paperwork was in order (although we will not breed little Beatrice). She had a mild intestinal bacteria, very common in kennel situations. We were treated fairly, Glenn's dogs were alert, happy and healthy. So all of you gloom and doom "Keystone Puppies is Evil" people need to chill. If you do your homework, you can get the dog of your dreams. At the time in your life when you really want or need that dog.

Nuff said.
[notify]
  (Page 8 of 17: Viewing entries 71 to 80)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17