GO!

*****DO NOT BUY FROM KEYSTONE PUPPIES******

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 12 of 17: Viewing entries 111 to 120)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Nov 17, '13 10:36pm PST 
Wow, I'm confused. I thought brother got his dog from craigslist, and sister had a lab from Neverestconfused

Agree with Sarah. Poke,pokebig laugh

I'm pretty sure I saw Zombies pic on a calendar last year.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 5:54am PST 
Really Sabi? laugh out loud
[notify]
Brigantia - CGC CGCA

The Baby Bear

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 8:59am PST 
laugh out loud I say things like that because they're true. Pity some people don't do their research and support abusive and irresponsible breeding practices.

Oh well, I give up! No cure for willful ignorance.
[notify]

Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 9:11am PST 
Zombie, I've looked into several breeders of various breeds (even "rare" breeds) and never have I seen a $5000 price tag. It's not even that expensive to import a dog from a breeder in another country.

Also, "USDA inspected" is as much of a joke as "AKC registered." When USDA comes to inspect where I work they walk up and down the hall and leave. They don't even go in any of the rooms where the animals are kept and look at them. I've also heard from people who have been working here a long time that they're easily bribed.

YOU are the one that needs to put the kool-aid down and do some research.

Edited by author Mon Nov 18, '13 9:21am PST

[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 9:50am PST 
OK Zombie, now you're on my turf.

Let's talk about German Shepherd breeders. I took Sabi from a BYB. She was my partner, my soul, my life. She died as a result of a horrible, heartbreaking disease that stole her from me one nerve center at a time. I got to watch my beautiful, brave dog stumbling and struggling to follow me. I got to watch her heart break over and over when she couldn't even come for a walk with me anymore. All for the sake of perhaps one of the cheapest genetic tests there is. Had the idiot that I took her from just spent a few dollars to test her parents for DM, he would have known that the pups would be affected. I'm going to bet everything I have that none of the Keystone pups come from tested parents.
Now I wouldn't have traded Sabi for anything, but neither would I wish this fate on anyone or any dog. The greatest dog I have ever put my hands on was stolen from me by a disease that destroyed both of us. Because I promise you I will never be the same person I was. And foolish, heartless or uneducated people will keep this pain alive for me and force me to relive it over and over again.
Now lets talk about my little darling, Shadow. She is only 3 years old but I live day to day with the knowledge that there is a very real possibility that this delightful little girl will leave me all to soon. Shadow has a defective heart. It has to beat to fast to keep up with her. She also has reduced lung function which means even moderate exercise leaves her gasping for air. And she can't see or hear properly, which makes things very scary for her. The icing on this cake is the brain damage which has taken away her ability to cope with even low stress. Training for Shadow is slow, repetitive work. We advance with her one painful inch at a time. She will never run loose, never experience the joys of doggy pals, never get to do a job. Her life will be spent in the controlled, low stress environment I need to provide her. Any guesses where she came from? Let me also share with you that 7 of her 10 littermates never left that garage alive, nor did her mother. Of the 3 others that survived, 2 were destroyed before 6 months of age for health issues and 1 ended up at the local humane society where she was destroyed for aggression issues. Lucky little Shadow ended up with me, and with me she will stay.
Keystone Puppies, if there was any humanity in the world, would be shut down along with all the other commercial puppy factories that sell heartbreak and pain, for the dogs and the loving people who end up with them.
And just so you are aware I personally know several breeders who live mostly hand to mouth because they make nothing breeding dogs responsibly. I know breeders who work fulltime or more and then come home to hours of exercising, grooming, cleaning and playing. Breeding is a labor of love, done right at best they break even. The only people making money on breeding are those doing it wrong, like the ones who supply pet stores.
[notify]
Brigantia - CGC CGCA

The Baby Bear

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 9:51am PST 
Zombie, you really just make my day! Every ignorant post from you that I read gives me some sidesplitting laughs. laugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 10:30am PST 
I don’t see the point in titling dogs. Show breeders are way too strict when it comes to dogs. If I can’t keep my dog, I would rather find a good home for her myself than be forced to give her back to the breeder. People who think that show breeders are good breeders are incredibly ignorant!

The point in titling dogs is to display that you've measured up your dog against others of its breed (or others participating in your work/sport of choice) and you've had your dogs' merits judged by an impartial third party.

Anyone can throw two dogs together and make puppies. Poor breeders exist in the show world too (and sport world, and working world, and...). A title is not the mark of quality some people seem to think it is. But it's a start.
[notify]
Brigantia - CGC CGCA

The Baby Bear

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 10:48am PST 
People who are clearly more educated and more experienced than you have addressed your statements in a factual way. Unless, in a stroke of brilliance you discover new arguments with some validity perhaps you should simply cease to display your ignorance. It's incredibly entertaining (and again, I thank you for adding laughter to my day), but painful.
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 11:32am PST 
A lot of people blame diseases on genetics when many diseases are result of environment and not genetics.

That you would dare to suggest that, that you have the audacity to post ignorant comments on another thread meant as tribute to a great dog and a place for those who loved her to express their thoughts shows me what sort of a hateful, hurtful, ignorant person you really are.

That you are oblivious to the pain and suffering that these people cause shows a decided lack of ANY mental capacity at all.

DM is one of the most widely spread health issues facing German Shepherds today, and it is absolutely 100% genetic! Untreatable, incurable and fatal. Places like Keystone will keep it alive and thriving, while responsible breeders fight to eradicate it.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 11:32am PST 
Did you read anything that Sabi just said? Her dog died of DM, which is genetic and is totally preventable with proper genetic testing. I've also seen many posts about Shadow and her issues, many of which are undoubtedly genetic. It's truly a heartbreaking situation that I don't think you'd be able to grasp unless you've been there. Working in rescue I see a lot of dogs from sub par breeders, and it's truly a tragic thing to watch a dog suffer and die from something so preventable.

As for titling, as Cohen said, it is definitely a start. I'm especially fond of working or performance titles, since I believe that form follows function, but any titles are better than no titles at all. Why? Because they show that the dog has something to pass on.
[notify]
  (Page 12 of 17: Viewing entries 111 to 120)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17