GO!

APBT Noses...

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 12:26pm PST 
Let me see if I have this straight...a black nose is a blue nose, a pink nose is a red nose, then a purple nose is a ???...laugh out loud
My husband was curious...in the history of breeding bullies were there particular attributes based on nose colors or something? Like a blue nose had more game and a red was a better something else. Does anybody know????puppypuppypuppy

Edited by author Tue Feb 5, '13 11:48am PST

[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 2:15pm PST 
I am not sure myself. I've heard it goes by the color of skin right before their nose. Angel's is a reddish color so she'd be red-nose. My friend's pit Korah has a blue tint to hers so she's a blue-nose. My room mate's pit has black before her nose so she's a black-nose. I have no idea, really.
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 6:26pm PST 
I answered my own question. I spent a few days researching around-and in looking up pit bull history there are some darn scary sites out thereshockshockshock

Red noses were created in Ireland and England from an English bull dogg and terrier mix. They were bred specifically for fighting. After coming to America the lines became mixed. Thus the blue.

In some wisdom it is still felt that red nose connotates a more ahem...athletic...dog...yeah there are still alot of thinly disguised "sporting" breeders out there.

But another article mentions that blue noses can mean more health issues perhaps. That there might be a color link suggesting blues lean towards more neuro and immunity illnesses than the red line. Only theory but who knows...
[notify]

Moe Jr.

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 6:37pm PST 
I've always thought it was just a color, I'm not sure if different colors served different purposes, and so forth. I'll probably do some research now though lol.

Moe is half bully and you can see his nose is grayish or "blue." The fur around his mouth and eyes is also "blue."

My dad had a staffy with the same coloring and markings as Moe, but his nose was black and so were his markings.

Red noses have reddish looking noses, like this-

http://www.passionpetphotos.com/My-Pets/Shelly/i-MJd7gzW/2/ L/IMG_7368-L.jpg

Edited by author Thu Feb 7, '13 6:45pm PST

[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 9:43pm PST 
Tried the link you posted and it wouldn't work
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 9:43pm PST 
Tried the link you posted and it wouldn't work
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 10:08pm PST 
Moe's Picture Link
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 1:05am PST 
The color of dog consists of two pigments eumelanine and pheomelanine and their distribution in the coat and skin. White/pink means that the hair/skin contains no pigment. Pheomelanine is red pigment and its amount makes the shade of red/yellow areas to vary from cream/almost white into deep orange or red. Eumelanine is usually black but it can be diluted by two different genes, blue and brown (in some breeds this is called red). Blue makes the dog's black pigment grayish and brown makes it well, brown and this color is sometimes called chocolate or liver or even red though this dilution cannot be mistaken for pheomelanine.

The color of the dog's nose depends on the color of its eumelanine. Usually it is black. Brown and blue dilutions affect eumelanine. So a blue dog has a blue nose. And brown (sometimes called red) dog has a brown nose. If a dog is both blue and brown it is lilac and the nose can be even lighter. If the nose or part of it has no pigment it or the part appears pink.

Yellow (like in labs and golden retrievers) may make the nose change color during the year. In winter it is reddish and in summer it gains more color (the color their eumelanine happens to be). This kind of yellow means that the dog has no eumelanine in their hair and the color of their coat is only determined by how much they have red pheomelanine there.

Moe is apparently blue sable which means that his hair is red with blue tips. The dog in the linked picture, I assume, is brown sable, in this case red hair is tipped with brown. And Alva is a normal sable: red hair with black tip.

I am sorry if this contains errors in terminology, I usually write and read about this subject in another language.

Edited by author Fri Feb 8, '13 1:06am PST

[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 10:10am PST 
Alva, you are amazingapplauseapplauseapplause
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 1:19pm PST 
I know the blue coloration in other breeds is linked to alopecia and other skin issues. It could be they have more health issues because they are over bred more than most other PB colors as well.

Some people associate certain colors with certain lines. I've heard someone claim all reds were descendents of the Gotti line or some crap like that.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2