GO!

Please tell me NOT to get a puppy!!

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 7:11pm PST 
big laughbig laugh You people are hilarious! (And some of you are TERRIBLE!) big laugh

And I genuinely appreciate all the "fond" memories and the great advice about how difficult puppies are. I also called my mother, who reminded me how much I enjoy working with adult dogs - I do tend to prefer that to molding a puppy. Plus the lack of time (I do work full time, as does my roommate - I can come home for lunch, but that's it), my strong dislike of pee and poop, my desire to start hiking/jogging/etc. right away... The problem, of course, is that puppies are SO CUTE. big laugh And the timing here is a bit freaky.

I've decided to contact the breeder asking about ADULT dogs (which I had been thinking of doing anyway, which is of course how I found out about the puppies), and tell her specifically that I'm not ready for a puppy at the moment. Maybe that will close the door for me.
[notify]
Arkane

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 7:15pm PST 
Today is opposite day.
Nice try. laugh out loud

I'll be on standby waiting for pics wink
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 7:28pm PST 
I can be a hardliner. Do you want that? shrug laugh out loud

Raising a puppy and taking on an adult are two entirely different matters and you to me have always seemed to me to be a very thoughtful thinker and planner. Surely, there is an optimum time to raise a puppy. I did raise a couple of mine....I won't include the Dachshund who listened to about 30% of what I had to say....while working. I took a good block of time off with both to start them off right, then returned to my f/t job and it turned out ok. It can be done. But when you were in a more distanced era, closer to the premise of dog getting than the impending reality stage where you now find yourself, when your thinker side had head role, so to speak, you decided against this. Best start with an adult. It's like going to the store for a nice mixed salad with some tuna because you want to enjoy your Friday night and not feel pressure about weekend exercise, but instead coming home with a gallon of ice cream and fudge and deciding this will be the weekend you take up jogging.

You know I am right.

And if I am getting all my math right, Lisa was your first and only dog? Was she a puppy then? Really not sure by her page how young she was. But this is your first adult dog, correct? So why not set yourself up for success?

Sorry to crash the party laugh out loud Now on with the mayhem big laugh
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 7:34pm PST 
Who are these people fooling? Toddler my butt!!! An 8-12 wk old puppy is like a newborn. They cry a lot for the first week,they need out at least every two hours,Even mid-March is not always all that warm and tends to be very wet weather,so there will be lots of mud from those potty trips. There are the added feedings as well,the biting,chewing of everything.I certainly hope you were planning on replacing all of your socks,and undergarments the puppy manages to get hold of while you are sorting laundry,getting dressed,or it just manages to sneak out of the basket or hamper while cruising around,and who needs that remote control and cell phone charger anyway,just because the t.v won't work without the remote... and well it was time to get a new phone anyway right? I too will be waiting for the pictures.big laugh
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 7:54pm PST 
Personally, I wouldn't want to get a puppy while working a full time job. Puppies need so much time that it seems like raising a puppy on top of working would be exhausting rather than enjoyable. And I sort of feel like it's a waste of a puppyhood for them to spend such a large percentage of it crated/alone. It's such an important time to socialize them and give them new experiences, it seems unfair to put restrictions on that. I know lots of people work full time jobs and raise a puppy simultaneously, but it's not something I'd want to do.

I agree with Lenny that sometimes it's best to stick to the plan. You decided an adult was the ideal at this time, and I think your reasons are perfectly valid. Housetraining is a pain in the rear, especially when you're waking up in the middle of the night, waiting for the puppy to go, knowing you have to be up for work in X hours. Plus the process is complicated by being away all day. And of course if you're looking for a jogging partner, it'll be a couple years before a large breed puppy (not sure what breed you're getting) is ready for any serious forced running.

I'm sure you could do a puppy, and that it would turn out to be a great dog, but like Tiller said, is it really the optimum time for a puppy?
[notify]
Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 8:00pm PST 
Tiller: THANK YOU. That is exactly what I needed to hear.

Lisa is the dog I grew up with - I got her as a puppy when I was about 9 or so, and though I was primarily responsible for her my parents of course stepped in as needed. She died when I was in college. Post-college, the closest I've come to owning my own dog was when I house-sat for my parents and spent 6 months retraining their (recently adopted) adult rescue dogs, Joey and Keiko. That was around 3 years ago. I had a great time, got to be a sole dog owner for a while...and I still take quite a bit of pride in turning Keiko from a seemingly irredeemable problem child to a well-behaved (if exuberant) family dog.

Alright, reality checks. Quite helpful. Puppies are cute, but I've known what I want for quite a while now and I refuse to lose my head here in the home stretch. Or I'll try not to, at least. laugh out loud
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 10:32pm PST 
Puppies ARE cute.

But is CUTE worth the chewing/teething, the teenage phase, the destroyed items(everything from cords, to favorite technology, to favorite clothing and more!), the peeing and pooping, the loud whining, the nipping/biting, the schedules, the feeding, etc.

I LOVE Ria, but omg... I prefer adolescent and adult dogs over puppies. So much easier for me to turn an aggressive dog into a tolerant dog, or a fearful dog into a happy dog, or just a plain ol' misbehaving pooch into a well-behaved pooch, than to mold a puppy, haha.

I REALLY want a GSD from a specific breeder down the road, buuuttt.. I may be inclined to look into breed specific rescues for an adult first. laugh out loud
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 9:09am PST 
Tiller and lots of others voiced it right, but I'll chime in too. I got an adult dog for the exact same reasons you want to get an adult. She came from a foster home, so they knew her inside and out, she was housebroken (and remains beautifully housebroken) and was very well trained on all her basic OB stuff.

To me... it's really hard beating that.

Plus like Tiller said, it's the standing outside at 0200 on a potty break when I know I have to be up at 0500 to go to work and only have a few more hours to sleep before I work 10 hours... just yeah. No thanks. I need my sleep, work is too stressful for me to skip out on my rest.

I think your best bet is to stress that you need a young adult at least, for the same reasons you listed. If she's as great a breeder as you say she is she'll only respect you more for it. She might have retiring dogs. Like Charlie, I eventually want a great working line GSD, or possibly a Borzoi or something, but... it'll come at a time when I work less, or work from home. No way am I equipped to deal with a puppy right now.

Good for you for sticking to your guns! You'll thank yourself in the long run.
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 10:02am PST 
Right now in your life it seems an adult dog would be best for you. Puppies are a lot of work and attention! As I am typing this right now my puppy is barking and trying to climb up my leg. I go to school full time but do not work, and their is someone always home for me to leave my puppy with. So I am gone about 5-7 hours a day Mon-Wed. But am at home to watch her thrus-sun. Also the sleepless nights are the worse. It took me two weeks to get used to waking up in the middle of the night, twice every night. Unlike an adult dog puppies want to be with you all the time. They chew on everything, and require much more work/trainging then an adult dog.

So if I was working full time and did not have someone home willing to watch her, I would not have gotten a puppy.
[notify]
Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 2:56pm PST 
Before this thread, I completely forgot about midnight potty breaks. Reeeeally glad I'll be avoiding that (at least for the most part - adult dogs can typically hold it but you never know). shh

Feeling better and better about my decision to get an adult dog.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3