GO!

Almost time! I'd love some suggestions!

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Jasper

Whut?

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 10:52am PST 
Bonnie Lass - The wonderful thing about Std. Poodles is they are like topiary gardens...you can groom them to look like just about anything.

Take a look at my five. Each has their own unique hair cut to fit their personality. Sonja is really the only one with a "typical" poodle clip....cuz she is the girliest girl dog I've ever had.

My friend who had Sonja's biological brother had him clipped to look like a Curly Coated Retriever. Everyone was ALWAYS asking..."what kind of dog is that?"

Heck! I get that question about Jasper ALL the time.
[notify]
Bonnie Lass- -in loving- memory-

This is soft,- I'm sure I'll- fit on it!

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 11:26am PST 
Bunny, you are right on the collie wink

Watson, I don't know how much the terrier personality is my thing. I wouldn't discredit a dog because it is a terrier but the Westie I love because of my experience and the bully terriers just seem like a different class to me.
I love the pittie personality and charm. They are so sweet and such goobers and I love it. I'm sure I will adopt at least one in my lifetime, but while renting I'm hesitant. The other area where the pit falls a bit short is my training desires. Not saying you can't have a stellar trained pit, I just can't quite wrap my head around one as into (almost competitive yet not if that makes sense) training.

GSD or a mix Is very much on my wish list (which I find funny because there was a time I very much not attracted to them) but I have had at least some encounters with breed restrictions including shepherds. I'm not going to let breed restrictions rule out a dog for me because they can be avoided, but they do come into consideration.
I'm also quite set on the idea of rescuing some of my dogs, such as a shepherd or pit, and going the breeder route with others. This is partially because some breeds I like are hard to find in shelters and partially because I have a more specific idea that I would like to work with a breeder/ have a mentor and work from puppyhood.

Tiller: "Or, you can take on a challenge.....Briard, I can see that. That or a Polish Lowland....exciting dog for you, as they are brilliant and very athletic, but tricky. What about a Bearded Collie? They are a trip and you don't see them a ton....I could see that."
These three caught my attention the most! How do the bearded collie and polish lowland vary from the OES? I don't know that I've ever met a briard and know little about them.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 12:19pm PST 
A GSP is a great idea! Or, dare I say it, an Airedale?
[notify]

Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 1:21pm PST 
Ah, well Beardies could be said to be the OES' Einstein cousin. They are very upbeat and merry, seldom know an enemy, but....good and bad....are one of the true clowns of the dog world. Witty and masters at manipulation, they are a nice training challenge for the right person. Capable of a very high level, but bring their sense of humor to the training stage and tend to be cunning in very funny ways. You need to appreciate that side and keep training interesting....if something isn't readily availed to use their wit and penchant for entertaining showmanship, they'll find it. Like OES, for a herding dog rather stubborn. Higher energy also, but OES', reminding me a little of Giants, have some "dumb jock" thing going on. Very goofy and boisterous. Beardies use a more sophisticated humour. A little less resilient than an OES, who when bred RIGHT (and if this breed IS on your list we'd need to talk, as the OES is one of the breeds that breeds wrong really, really easily) is close to unflappable/perfect temperament if you can cope with their mayhem.

The PONS is a very different ballgame altogether. This breed has one of the fastest learning rates you are ever going to find....they are genius dogs and actually love to learn more than a lot of dogs do. Sky is the limit with them.....they have a lot of stability and character, are physically gifted, and are brainiacs who really like the process. They are, however, a bit on the dominant side (I think I can use that word on *this* forum, lol, and you can take it for that more general meaning). They can be pretty serious, are very self assured, can be very stubborn. They are a natural match for PR, which would be good for you. That approach and your terrier background might mean success. I recommend them to *very* few, but you'd be in that elite company. This is a dog who is very jolly from the outside, but inside is extremely discerning, has a pretty serious alter ego, and will feel more need to asset if he doesn't feel like someone competent is making decisions. So good structure, consistency and a lot of positive work. Fascinating breed. Def one who "needs a job."

Tell me if the PONS does anything for ya before I get into Briards laugh out loud

"Not saying you can't have a stellar trained pit, I just can't quite wrap my head around one as into (almost competitive yet not if that makes sense) training." Ok, well there we need to work on you laugh out loud big laugh They are one of the best in the business. This one is not a rescue dog....he's a breeder Pit....but HERE is a UKC Superdog (conformation, OB, agility, rally, weight pull; dominant number of Pit Bulls among all breeds to win that title), plus his Sch III. One of the most trainable and work positive dogs out there. Pit Bulls tend to be owned by idiots or by soft hearted, pet owning people who are content with happy dog behavior. Nothing wrong with the latter, but those with more of a work focus, high training aspirations, go really far with them. Very few dogs can be trained to the 100% level reliability that a PB can, and they really thrive in those settings and have the character composition to be beyond distraction. They LOVE to work and perform if you treat them like the working breed they are.

Here's another nice example, and a good read smile

Edited by author Sun Jan 27, '13 1:36pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 2:19pm PST 
I've thought about the GSP before. If I were a hunter, I think they would be a top choice for me. I have a friend with a pair of GSP/ weim siblings that I really like! When you mentioned the Airedale I had a chuckle because when you mentioned the larger terriers that is exactly where my mind went! My cousins have a terror of an Airedale!

I like the PONS as an idea but I am not sure I like the PONS itself. I would really need to do more research and pictures of a puppy cut haha. I love the look of the OES with a puppy cut! I'll dig deeper into the PONS when I get a chance.
I did start to look into the Briard and really liked what I saw so far. It looks like a really great potential fit. The Beardie sounds pretty great too as the OES was a dog I liked.

That was an awesome looking pittie! I will most certainly have a few shelter pitts and its great to see such highly skilled pitties. I think their goofy personality and the many with almost zero training makes it hard for me to picture a majorly training focused pit
[notify]
Cricket

Wanna race?

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 4:29pm PST 
Have you given any thought to the herding spitz breeds - like Samoyeds, Finnish Lapphunds, or Icelandic Sheepdogs? They seem like they might tick a lot of your boxes.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 10:43am PST 
Ok, well I still have to work on you on the Pittie thing laugh out loud Not that you'd have to get one now, but to deal with your misconceptions for "whenever" wink

HERE is a classic Pit Bull example. You'll note how long he goes with no reinforcer, in a pretty restricted area, boring routine. When they are bonded to their handler, they work just for the sake of it with a lot of focus and enthusiasm. You just don't see it a lot anymore, but if someone were to want to train a lot and want to enjoy themselves, do well.....this breed would be amongst the top of my list.

Briards are fantastic, but tricky. I think one could suit, but with a good amount of preparation as they are not a breed that can afford mistakes. You do seem ahead enough in your skillset, though, and are a nice reasonable thinker. Briards are a herding breed but also protection/guardian, and amongst that set one of the more independent. They like to think for themselves and are inwardly quite self assured. They need good structure and a handler they perceive knows what they or doing, or they deal with things on their own. As a somewhat naturally mistrustful dog, that can bring problems. They also, because they are so sure of who they are, don't tolerate unfair treatment....that wouldn't be a problem with you, of course. PR is the way to go with them, but also someone who can give good structure, good competency. LOTS of socialization and exposure when being raised. You can't do too much. They are a freer spirited, stoutly/infamously loyal breed (may not transfer well as rehomed adults...up to that level), and superlative guardians - they like to watch over everyone in their family and are very perceptive. *Extremely* responsible, with the right individual they also can be charmingly clownish. It's a breed you need to get selectively, see the parents, know the temperament. Def another breed that goes under the "dominant" heading, you need 100% compliance from a Briard, but you need to get it positively. Nothing I don't think you can't do, but there are ways in which different training theories just won't work well for certain breeds. Those who punish will find Briards stubborn because if they think you are being a jackarse they will just tune you out. They are not slave dogs. At the same time, those who have funk with the word "compliance" or who are only going to expect perfect response in ideal conditions....that's not going to work either. It's inherently a take charge breed, so having them willing to do things when it may be against their better judgment is important. That the respect, willingness and trust is there. I hope that made sense. You really need to come off to them as if you are competent and really know what you're doing, and for it to affirming to their spirit to work for you. It's a wise, knowing breed with a huge, huge heart. Infamously tolerant around small kids and the needful. You need to walk a dog like this daily, use neighborhood challenges to practice training and keep him exposed to ranges of normal. It's in his nature to assess things, and he knows within his power to dispatch, so you need that balance, particularly when he's a teenager.

Q's?

Edited by author Mon Jan 28, '13 10:47am PST

[notify]

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 3:38pm PST 
Is there much of a difference between makes and females as far as temperament goes?
I am fairly social and like having people over as well as going out places, and having my dog with me as often as possible (when it comes to fosters, this has varied greatly). I love protection breeds, my biggest thing is making sure that the dog is able to trust my judgement completely. I am a pretty confident person so I don't think I would be sending fear/ discomfort signals hardly, and I would want a dog to trust me there. I know they are naturally mistrustful of strangers, but my key concern/ goal is that if I say it's ok, the dog can settle and accept it. I don't need instantly lovey to everyone at all, I'm used to a dog who isn't interested in strangers.
I also wonder, while I'm not a major vacationer and can take a dog with me most places I do go, what about dog sitting or boarding? Would this be doable with a Briard? A friend saying at my house or the dog staying with friends that it knows?
Would a friend coming in my house without me (a friend the dog knows even) be a no no?

The Beardie is more happy go lucky with other people, correct?

Ok and I am just interested in the BRT. I have talked to a lot of people in breed and gone to check them out at shows. Mostly what I understand is that breeder selection is HUGE with the BRT. I've talked to people who have or have known rock solid BRTs. Demonstration dogs in training, very tolerant of other dogs etc. I've also heard of quite awful BRTs that are way too set to attack.
Not thinking it will be my next dog, but I do love them and always like learning more!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2