GO!

What breed would you give him? :D

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 5:30pm PST 
Star,
Bernese are very needy and they must be with you all the time. They are quite velcro. I can't get up to go to the bathroom without a dog following me to sit on my feet laugh out loud
[notify]
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 2:36am PST 
O, i guess it depends on the dog the 6 BMDs that my friend has and the others i watch when their owners go away are not velcro at all, they will of course look to see where their owners are going but don't always follow them around. It is nothing when compared to my golden who is very velcro
[notify]
Howard

Tail Waggin'- Mutt

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 2:22pm PST 
How about a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog?
[notify]

"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 8:58pm PST 
Spinone Italiano! Fun Fun Fun and a bigger gun dog.

A male Lab should be about 70lbs a good size but not a giant. A male Golden should be the same size and both Labs and Goldens LOVE to rough-house with their people.

Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs are not simply short-haired Berners, they are known to be less dog social than Berners and less accepting of strangers.
[notify]
Trixie Bean!

none so blind as- those that will- not see

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 2:12pm PST 
Oh, he does actually like the Spinone Italiano which is odd for him because he likes a smooth coat usually! My only concern would be their drive to chase, but I think thats fairly unavoidable anyway laugh out loud

A Golden is on my "one day" list whether my boyfriend likes it or not wink. I do think he would get on well with one! He doesnt dislike them, he just hasnt really spent any time around them.
[notify]
Aina- Aloysius de- LeMaitre

work hard, play- hard

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 7:20am PST 
Had to chime in because i saw a recommendation for a Leonberger. While I loooove my Leonbergers, I do not encourage them for most people. A Leo sheds a lot year round. Spend some time in a home with a Leo or at a Leo Specialty and you will get a better understanding of the breed.

And because you mentioned an interest in giant breeds in general, I had to chime in as well. Many people admire giant dogs. Understandable. Living with one in your home, being a responsible caregiver of one, being in public/society with one is a very different perspective in life. Oh and don't forget healthcare being different (and usually more $$$). Not every vet clinic can fully accommodate a giant breed dog! If you have an opportunity to spend personal time with with some actual giant breed dogs and/or their people, that could be very eye opening. Maybe pet sitting or attending a Specialty. Either way a great experience!
[notify]
Trixie Bean!

none so blind as- those that will- not see

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 7:55am PST 
I worked for over two years in a dog groomers and recently worked in a doggie day care.. Boyfriend worked a few saturdays in the groomers too, and we pet-sat for my ex bosses large bitch (25 inches at shoulders) and giant puppy (27 inches at the shoulder at 10 months old). Between the two of us there is plenty of large/giant breed experience and actually, Leonbergers are the giant that I have spent the most time around. If it was entirely my choice then it would be a Leonberger we would be bringing home one day! I want a German Shepherd- Leo shedding has nothing on them laugh out loud. As it is, that isnt the coat type my boyfriend is after so the chances are, my Leonberger dreams are far away at the moment! Still I can dream cloud 9. Ive spent a lot of time around them and they are a wonderful breed.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2