GO!

Border Collies vs. Dalmatians (and other suggestions are welcome).

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 7:45am PST 
Okay, thank you Dunlop. I'll look out for those things.

So, about Dals. I've had a lot of people outside of Dogster telling me that they won't suit my purposes. What do y'all think?

Edited by author Mon Jan 14, '13 7:49am PST

[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 10:02am PST 
I'm one of those people who regrets what the show ring has done to these fantastic dogs. I feel like the dogs bred for conformation look more like Spaniels than Border Collie, and worse that so few of them know their way around a sheep. Their instincts have been muddied up from breeding for form over function, which I feel is really sad, because that raw working ability is what makes them such an attractive breed in the first place.

I've known people who try to do both conformation and sport, but I can't think of anyone I know who does both working and conformation. There's a lot of division between owners of BCs. Personally I feel that if conformation is the main focus, then this is the wrong breed to be looking at.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 11:04am PST 
Thank you for your input Ava & Nix. I respect your opinion, but I still see nothing wrong with buying from a show/sport breeder. However, I do agree that there's nothing like watching a dog do what it was originally bred to do, and I hope to find a breeder who herds as well as shows, and if I decide a Border is for me, I may very well give it a shot. But, I just don't see it as a complete necessity.
[notify]

Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 7:15pm PST 
This is a good resource if you're wanting to get a feel for working BCs: BC Boards

I feel like a hypocrite, but I'll say it anyways. I don't have issue with people breeding BCs for sport (98% of the BCs I know are sport) but I do have issues with people breeding them for confo. I feel that sport can also be considered work, while confo detracts from the origin of the breed. Again, very hypocritical, but there ya go.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 6:53am PST 
Thank you Cohen, I'll check it out.

While I plan to show in conformation, that will not be my main focus. Sport will. I can tell you that right now.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 7:40am PST 
Ideally form would follow function, and be judged accordingly.

Back when I purchased Cobain, his breeder was doing both confo and herding - she took quite the pride in how her dogs could excel in both.
Her website still boasts the same, however I know due to recent changes in her life (loss of her husband) that she's cut back significantly so I'm not sure where she stands at this point with everything.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of breeders out there focus on one aspect alone. All of these "activities" - herding, conformation, sports, are time consuming and demanding. So I understand sort of why the divide has become some prominent.

As you know, one of the trademarks of the breed is their intense energy and drive. One of the most disturbing things I've ever read was from a breeder I came across in my search for Cobain:
We breed the family pet type of border collie, which means our dogs are lower drive, very friendly, love children, and have an off-switch....
Although our pups do fine in recreational sports or herding, they are not appropriate for serious competitive sports or stock dog or sheep dog work as they simply do not have enough drive.

They are not conformation breeders however, but I feel that solely conformation breeders would boast a similar line.

The BC Boards link that Cohen provided is an excellent resource for learning more from a variety of sources about the breed.

Edited by author Tue Jan 15, '13 7:42am PST

[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 8:36am PST 
Thank you Cobain. I'm keeping an eye out for a breeder who at least does some kind of sport along with conformation. Herding is preferable, but to me, the breed's drive and intenseness can manifest itself in more than just that. As long as the dogs have that drive and energy we all love, I'm content.

I think that I can learn a lot from the BC board, but I have a feeling that it won't help me to find necessarily what I want. I like the ABCA working Border as much as the AKC show/sport Border, but from what I've read so far, the working people tend to think little of AKC Borders.
[notify]
Josie- *Forever in- Our Hearts*

Happy to work

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 8:56am PST 
I know what you Are going through with the working vs confo breeders, I'm going through it now with borzois! You just have to keep searching for a breeder who does both, its hard but i know some breeders in BCs still do herding and show in confo....my friend recently got a bc whose parents have ch titles but also have herding titles i wish i knew the name of the breeder so i could give it to you! Just keep searching and go to local events so you can talk to people about the divide, you may meet somebody who does both. Good Luck
[notify]
Josie- *Forever in- Our Hearts*

Happy to work

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 8:58am PST 
About dals, im just not a fan of them....dont really know why but they dont appeal to me. Wish i could offer more about them to help
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 10:29am PST 
Thanks Josie. I'm actually leaning more towards Borders now; I've been doing a lot of research and have been talking to a lot of people, and they just seem to be a better fit.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3