GO!

Ideas (Mostly for fun)

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Nikolai

GOgoGogOGO

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 7:56am PST 
Don't be rude, please. ("Um, have you considered a cat or two perhaps?")

I handle the structure and training side of our dog house. He prefers to spend the little time he HAS on coddling and spoiling his dogs.

He has two dogs currently and they are handled just fine by him. His younger dog is a pound rescue husky/shepherd best guess and he can be a challenging, guarding, snappy snot, which my partner is willing to handle, he just doesn't like to. A breed less prone to be snotty and testing would be preferred.

The 'rules' side of thing is well handled. That's my thing. His thing is the uninhibited personality of dogs.

Miyu- I'm into training, he's not. He thinks a trained dog is a robot, I think an untrained dog is a wild animal. It's not a point of strife, it's just a difference of opinions. We have five dogs together and no one's suffering for it. laugh out loud

Bryce- I think a smooth collie falls under his 'sticky' category. I tried pointing a couple out to him at the eukanuba show recently and he didn't seem too interested. (He was distracted by the cane corso nearby. naughty )
[notify]
Shane DEC- '08-JAN '12- RIP

In dreams I walk- with you..

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 9:31am PST 
Would he consider a rescue coonhound? In general they are sweetness personified and couch tater extraordinaire! I'd go through a rescue that specifically puts their dogs in foster homes so you could ask questions about drooling, etc.
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 10:02am PST 
How about a Greyhound? There are a lot in rescue. They don't need a huge amount of exercise, love their couches, and have been referred to a "Linoleum Lizards". laugh out loud They're also good with other dogs and are very loving.
[notify]

Nikolai

GOgoGogOGO

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 12:58pm PST 
A coonhound! There's a breed I hadn't even considered! Thank you for the suggestion, I'll definitely give them a good look. I can hear him now baby-talking over those floppy ears, haha.

I mentioned them to him and his first reaction was 'Ugh, a hound? confused Aren't they loud and smelly and dumb?', but then I rambled off some of the traits from random sites and showed him some videos and he agreed they were probably delightful.

Dahlia- I think a grey would be a great match for him, but they fall under his 'sticky' category. shrug

I think the coonhound suggestion is probably the best breed we've considered, for him. This requires more research!

Edited by author Tue Jan 1, '13 12:59pm PST

[notify]
Shane DEC- '08-JAN '12- RIP

In dreams I walk- with you..

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 1:28pm PST 
Cool! Dogster Bella and Daisy (http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1136436) would be a great resource for you, she has two and fosters for a rescue. I'm sure she'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 2:42pm PST 
Hi!

I agree a coonhound could be right up your alley! Especially the black and tans or the blueticks/redticks. Y'all would probably want one at least 2 or older-mostly cause I think an adult would fit in better/be more relaxed and couch potato like for your friend.

Coonhounds are actually very smart. I've done rally with my Daisy, and I know several that do agility for fun. No, they aren't the type that are going to be in 1st place every time-but you will have a great time with them.

As for loud-well, they CAN be loud. But they aren't generally the "bark at everything" type of dog. My Daisy bays at squirrels in the trees outside. My Bella bays at the UPS man and my current foster, Rizzie bays when its dinner time. LOL

They love to play, and they all have such goofy, fun personalities. A coonhound will learn that he is the "softer" half that lets it get away with more and that it has to behave more with you. Even then though, most of what they do will all be for the sake of fun or food. LOL

Feel free to PM me if y'all decide to look into coonies more!
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 4:38pm PST 
Just to clarify, all apologies if I sounded rude...I just was suggesting cats even as an addition to dogs...we have seven and two bullies...I'm always suggesting cats...and I second the coonhound...
[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 10:34am PST 
Why not look into Big Dog Ranch Rescue, out of Orlando and Wellington Florida?

http://www.bdrr.org
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 3:43pm PST 
Nik- good deal! applause The phrasing you initially put out there worried me, but hey, my household runs the same way too! I was worried about offending. The animals need some kind of structure, otherwise they run amuck. But we're preaching to the choir here. smile

Not much constructive advice on breeds to look at, though I will second Dahlia's suggestion of a greyhound. Though I know you said he's iffy about them.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 4:21pm PST 
I grew up with Dobermans and they were pretty much what you describe. thinking
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3