GO!

Alyssum's Wisdom Panel results: .... Really?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Alyssum

Dog O' Despair

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 10:15pm PST 
A few weeks ago I sent in a wisdom panel for my fluffy cockapoo-looking fluffermutt. I got the results in today.

Please note that Alyssum is likely... er... inbred. She was rescued with her parents and her siblings, and her parents looked identical to her and may themselves have been siblings. At the very least, her parents were light brown and super fluffy.

There are no purebred dogs more recent than great-grandparent in her, apparently. But those purebreds...

I definitely believe the cocker spaniel. I can easily accept the maltese. I will buy into the chihuahua because *everything* around here is part chi.

But then there is the 4th 'pure' great-grandparent, that just makes me scratch my head. Because I think that if Alyssum's parents, or parent, was 1/4 this breed that it would show.

The 4th one listed is Shar-pei.

Really?
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 11:52pm PST 
big laugh That's hilarious! laugh out loud

All except the Chow is pretty believable.

I did this test on my sisters dog just for fun and the results were interesting to say the least. Others on here have gotten them to re-run the tests and the results were more believable the second time around, I wish I'd done that. Maybe you can try and see if they'll re-run the test? thinking
[notify]
Alyssum

Dog O' Despair

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 7:14am PST 
I immediately called them and went "there is no way there is shar-pei in this dog." They'll call me back soon and tell me where to send them photos.
[notify]

Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 9:44am PST 
She does have a very curled tail…..
Other than that, I don't see any Shar Pei either.

Pepper is German Shepherd, Chow, Golden Retriever and has a curled tail as well.
[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 2:10pm PST 
crazy, but not as crazy as Hershey's results, LOL

most to least: Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Dalmatian, Bloodhound, Shar Pei, Flat Coated Retriever, Labrador Retriever
[notify]
In Loving- Memory :- Liberty

April 2, 2008 - April 15, 2009.

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 4:07am PST 
Those DNA panels are not accurate, they're not even intended to be accurate. They're just novelties. I've known registered purebreds that came back with bizarre results. Part of this is because of the close similarities between dog breeds and they don't yet have an accurate enough database to test against. So while those are fun, I wouldn't put much faith in them.
[notify]