GO!

How about putting some effort into choosing a dog? A rant.

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 10:14pm PST 
I have a friend who is very dear to me. She's technically my roommate, although she lives almost entirely at her boyfriend's parents' house. She hasn't slept here in weeks.

She had three cats when we moved in. One passed, and I do love these cats dearly. She never sees them and they are essentially my cats now. I'm alright with this, but wish I had more help in taking care of them. I have an Abner, and it's a lot of work taking care of them, seeing as I can't love on any of them at the same time.

A couple years ago, her friend bought a turtle and was killing it, so she brought it home. Ok, this one i get. Unfortunately now it's kind of my turtle. I have no idea what I'm doing with turtles, and it isn't exactly my pet of choice, but I enjoy him and take care of him.

So her boyfriend wanted a kitten. She ended up getting one at the same time.

Then she wanted a dog, and I told her I'd help her really think it through if it's truly what she wanted. She went that day and pulled one from the shelter. Upon realizing it couldn't live here (she was here more at the time) Shandy went to a rescue. Ok, at least she pulled from a kill shelter, and did save a dog.

Then came the bunny.

The bunny was a spur of the moment decision. She had no idea how to take care of it. She and her boyfriend bought clay litter and had no enrichment. I tried to help her, but she was just letting the bunny run around in the yard. The result was that the bunny would LEAVE the yard and go to the neighbors' houses. The bunny disappeared.

Then she took another cat home. She was going to the shelter. I love this cat and don't think she gets enough attention where she is, but don't feel like i can take her.

Then today I go over and she's gotten a puppy. Why? Because she was sad. TWO DAYS AGO, after she had gotten this puppy, she had been trying to convince me it was a good idea for her to travel for a couple months. At the moment they are living in her boyfriend's bedroom because there is major drama over there, and this is what she decided to do. A PUPPY?!

I could throttle her, but I don't even know what to do. She has no idea how to raise a puppy and didn't think it through at all. She saw it at petco and was like "WANT." Bam. Done.

ALIGSLIHDNSIDWEUBNLFSIFPJIDUFHDKHJLSas'fps03804rufjidskfskdf.

I am going nuts! How can the rescue just let her walk into the petco and leave with a puppy?! How can she add a dog into her life right now with no thought about it before seeing the dog?!

I don't know what to do.

Sorry for the length. I take this stuff entirely seriously, as I know you all do.

Thank you, people of Dogster, for being so responsible and wonderful. Thank you for helping people find the right dog. I just wish everyone would come here for help.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 11:21pm PST 
I'm actually a little disconcerted that the rescue actually let her leave with a puppy too. silenced Maybe she lied or charmed them or ... something. Ugh, or maybe they are just a sucky rescue. Either way, and it doesn't really matter at this stage, I hope that it doesn't end badly, but given her history, it isn't a big hope. frown I hate stories like this.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 12:03am PST 
I am bad enough that I would relate this whole story to the "rescue" where she got the puppy. If they are truly a rescue they have some sort of contract and will deal with her. When I managed a shelter we got a puppy back when we were advised of the real situation with the adopter...she HAD lied on her application.
[notify]

Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 12:04am PST 
I know! It was a Petco adoption event and I thought that usually you got to meet the dogs, but you still had to go through an approval process.

I don't even know what to think. Should I try to convince her to put the puppy back in the rescue? It could end up in a similar home. What about her other animals?

Argh!

Toto- I'm not sure which rescue it was. She said it was the shelter, but I haven't seen the county shelter at any adoption events. I have another hunch as to which one it might be, and I've heard some mixed things about it. I don't know how I could ask her about the rescue when obviously they'd be contacting her in short order if she did say something that was amiss. It'd be obvious that I was the link.

Edited by author Thu Dec 13, '12 12:13am PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 4:30am PST 
Abner, ask at Petco... they should give you that information. If you need to, tell them you saw a dog from there you were interested in (not even a lie!!!) and want to contact them about it.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 6:01am PST 
Abner,hughughughughughughughughughughughughug there just aren't enough. I applaud your efforts and your good nature in all of this. I also understand your rant and the unprintable thought you so elegantly covered-up. I'm sure I understood completely. Your friend does need to be told that with her current lifestyle,she has no place trying to rescue a puppy. She is not doing these animals any favors and you have enough to deal with. I agree that you should do as Toto suggested and contact the "rescue" she got the pup from,but as hard as it may seem and I do understand,how hard it is and the truth of easier said than done,your friend cannot continue to "rescue" these pets and dump the responsibility on you.hugwishes
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 6:42am PST 
Holy crap!

I'm normally very tolerant, but I probably would have lost my cool when I saw the puppy.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 7:28am PST 
"I'm normally very tolerant, but I probably would have lost my cool when I saw the puppy."

Understatement.....

I had a roommate once who insisted on getting a kitten, then started spending loads of time at her boyfriends house leaving all of his care up to me. When our lease was up she moved all her stuff out and just left him there just assuming she could pass the buck as if he were a discarded piece of trash. I called A/C and reported her for abandoning the cat in the empty apartment. She tried to call and apologize but I never spoke to her again. People like that disgust me and I refuse to associate with someone who has the mindset to abandon the life of a living, breathing and feeling creature with such little regard.

I would give the rescue that gave her the puppy a call and clue them in on her track record. Ask them if they'd be willing to take the animals she's already abandoned as you're quite sure you're going to end up with the puppy too at some point and it's just too much for you to take care of for her. Then call up all the local shelters and give them warning as well. At the shelter I volunteered with there was a list of "do not adopt out to" individuals due to their erratic and irresponsible behavior - hopefully your shelters do as well and she is halted from pulling this crap again in the future.

Honestly, she comes off as mentally ill to me. Why or how anyone could acquire and then just ditch that many pets on others like that is beyond me. The word sociopath comes to mind......
[notify]
Okami- Amaterasu

I shalst- pluck-eth ze- toy...

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 7:48am PST 
"Honestly, she comes off as mentally ill to me. Why or how anyone could acquire and then just ditch that many pets on others like that is beyond me. The word sociopath comes to mind......"

This sounds a whole lot like a certain sister of mine.

OP I can, unfortunately, relate. My once step-sister, yet who still lives with us, is completely like this. First, she is not an animal person AT ALL, yet she claims to love them. She, of course, loved Okami when she was a puppy because she was cute. Now that Okami is an adult, she's just another dog. "K" will often look in disgust at Okami when Okami comes over to say hi to her, and even goes so far as to flick my very reactive dog right in the nose because she "gets in her face". Talking about a dog that doesn't jump up on people and is way too small to get in anyone's face unless you were physically lying on the floor.

Yet, this is also the same person that gets animals all the time, then doesn't care for them. She had a cat that she conveniently "forgot" to feed, give fresh water to, and keep the litter box clean. She got two sugar gliders as pets, got frustrated with them after TWO DAYS when they didn't immediately warm up to her, and then proceeded to completely forget about them, never did anything with them, and never made sure they had food and water. Those poor things were lucky they survived sometimes as the rest of us in the house were so busy that we would forget about them, but then again they weren't supposed to be our responsibility. Then she got a hamster from Petsmart and, again, got bored with it and never took care of it. In all these cases it was up to the rest of us to find better homes for them. And then she proceeded to b*tch when we found other homes for them...

Now all she talks about is how much she wants a puppy. This "girl" (who is going to be 21 yet acts like she's about 15) that hates animals and doesn't care for them at all...wants a puppy...

Words cannot express...
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 8:20am PST 
Great post, Trigger. I agree. way to go
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4