GO!

Taping/gluing Aussie ears up?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Lancer

Lickin your feet- all the time

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 5:15pm PST 
Lancer is currently 12 weeks old with floppy hound ears. He's a Miniature American Shepherd. smile

Anyone have leads on how to tape/glue a MAS's hound ears UP into the preferred position?

Rose ears are fine too.

I'm not doing conformation showing, but I'd like lower the risk of possible ear infections in the future by making the ears stand. Even prick is fine for me-- any way to aid them into not flopping down like they are now would be great. wink

http://www.shalakoaussies.com/BreedStandard_Ears.html

Edited by author Sun Dec 9, '12 5:16pm PST

[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 5:33pm PST 
Plenty of drop eared dogs don't get ear infections. My Aussie has some pretty floppy ears, and the only time she had a really minor yeast infection was when I first got her (rescue). She was eating junky food and spent a lot of time playing in cow poo. Put her on decent food and kept her ears clean- no more infections, and it's been about 4 years. Sarah has beagle ears and it was the same thing- she came to me with ear infections. As soon as I got rid of corn/wheat/soy, her ear infections went away and never came back smile.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 6:02pm PST 
Talk with his breeder...they should be the one to advice you with something like this. Besides, twelve weeks is way, way too soon for ears to be up, at least in GSD's, the breed I am familiar with.
And, I have labs and poodles with drop ears and Frenchies with prick ears and the only ear infections I deal with are in the Frenchies. My vet says it is because those prick ears funnel everything down into the ear canal and the drop ears cover the canal so stuff doesn't get into them.
[notify]

Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 7:23pm PST 
The ears will likely perk up out of the "hound" position on their own, around the time your puppy starts teething, if not after teething is done.

Nix's ears(Granted he's a Border Collie, not an Aussie) looked just like Lancer's at first. As I remember, they started perking up at around 16 weeks, but didn't start to really stand until he was about 6 months old, and even then they weren't set in any permanent position. There were still days when one would lay down, while the other stood. For a while his right was up, but his left was down, and then one day his left went up, and right went down! I did tape his ears using soft foam hair rollers and medical tape, just to help them stand all the way. Thanks to genetics there was a good chance his would have ended up that way regardless of taping, but still... call it shallow... but I wanted to make sure he ended up with his mom's cute prick ears, rather than his dad's drop ears. Nix wasn't phased--after shaking his head once or twice, he forgot all about it and carried on his puppy business, but if he had been miserable then I wouldn't have put him though it. smile

If you're going to tape Lancer's ears though, the best advice I can give you is don't do anything until AFTER he's done teething. There's no point in taping them before then. Lancer's ears will be going all over the place while his new teeth are coming in, so don't worry about a thing until after that. It's actually kinda fun to wake up to your puppy's ears in a different set than they were the night before. laugh out loud

Edited by author Sun Dec 9, '12 7:32pm PST

[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 7:56pm PST 
I agree 12 weeks is a bit young to be worrying about his ears. Like Nix said, even if his ears were standing now, they'd likely drop again while he was teething, so I wouldn't be concerned until he's past the teething phase.

Agree with Toto that his breeder should have a good idea what age his ears will stand. Even within the same breed, there can be quite a bit of variation on when ears come up that is mostly genetic. Onyx's ears came up permanently a good couple months sooner than my ex's GSD's ears did. I'd talk to his breeder before doing anything else, as s/he should have the best idea when the ears on a dog out of their kennel should stand.
[notify]
Pippin

Grrrrrrr

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 8:52pm PST 
My ears where as floppy as any hound, they stood up as I grew. Also my pack members with floppy ears don't have ear issues, I do occasionally due to being allergic to something in the ground and susceptible to yeast infections.
[notify]
Eduardo

Mr. Personality

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 6:48am PST 
So…? What is so wrong with his ears being floppy? Taping a dog’s ears is only going to cause them pointless discomfort. Leave his ears alone and let them do what they are going to do. I’ve known plenty of dogs with prick ears that have horrible ear infections and dogs with floppy ears that have great ears. Ear infections are not at all related to ear carriage. I’m sorry to say, but this breed standard stuff and usually a big pile of BS!
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 8:50am PST 
Really, natural ears lend more meaning to a dogs expression. I don't think ear infections are so much of a worry unless you ave something like a bassett with major droop. I just clean my guys ears a few times a month with warm water dampened gauze pads.
I feel don't fix what ain't broke. My poor Callie, apparently they tried to dock his tail when he was younger...probably with a pair of scissors...and did not have a clue. If someone tried to crop your ears and trim off a few fingers at the joints, you wouldn't be a happy camper
[notify]

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 9:10am PST 
I agree with Toto.. it's something to talk to your breeder about so they can tell you the correct technique and timing.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 9:24am PST 
No one was talking about cropping the dog's ears...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3