GO!

Dalmatians aren't really bad with kids, are they?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 41)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 8:37am PST 
Great that you're networking with the breed club in your area. It may have been suggested before, but get an application in there to do breed specific rescue. You may not be set up for it right now, but maybe you will be when there's a dog that needs a spot (no pun intended ha ha)

I understand what it's like to want and even need a challenge. I worked with a couple sighthound breeds for years and felt I knew them inside and out. But what I primarily wanted to do on my own with a dog didn't fit that breed at all. It wouldn't have been fair to try to make them conform to what I wanted to do. So I started looking and landed on Airedales, perfect for me but so far from what I was used to (racing greys and wolfies). I volunteered for breed specific rescue and just hung around breeders and some small events and offered to help. I admitted right up front that it was a learning curve for me to get started on terriers and why I was heading there. Most dog people appreciate brutal honesty IMHO, especially about what you don't know and are willing to help. If you're a hard worker, all the better. Word of mouth got me a Dale mix, Lucille, from an oops litter. I learned a lot and still am in contact with that breeder. So you may even get a line on a nice pup perfect for sport but maybe not so great for conformation (Dal conformation is notoriously picky), that sort of thing. It's always a good idea to get involved with the breed long before raising a pup, anyway; and that's very doable if there's a breed club in your area.
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 41)  
1  2  3  4  5