GO!

Dalmatians aren't really bad with kids, are they?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 8:43am PST 
I shared your question with a Dal-Dogster who doesn't post anymore. wink
Right now she has 2. One is not good with kids, one is. But..he is not fabulous with any stranger. She said that out of her 4 dalmatians he is the only one that has ever bitten anyone, or needed muzzling.
Definitely do your research & find a great breeder.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 8:43am PST 
dog walk double post

Edited by author Sun Dec 9, '12 8:44am PST

[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 2:17pm PST 
Okay, thanks everyone. I'm still interested in getting a Dal, and I'll be sure to be as thorough as possible when choosing my breeder.
[notify]

Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 4:33pm PST 
I'll be watching this post as well, since I'm also interested in Dalmatians. Not especially for my sake, but because they're the only breed Fiance is really interested in. He wants one someday. Not soon, but someday hopefully.

He had one when he was a kid. She lived outside, per his mom's rule, because she was too destructive indoors. Not by any means a good breed to keep outside, chained up 24/7, but his mom isn't the most dog-savvy person in the world either... Long story short, the neighbor threw poison over the fence, and 12-year-old-him woke up one morning to find his dog was no more. frown

I'd like to let him have another Dalmatian someday. I wanted one as a kid too (because of 101 Dalmatians, I will admit) but I never got one, and eventually fell out of the craze. I might still be open to owning a well-bred one, but all the things I've heard do scare me a bit...

Even if they're not mean, I've heard they can be very similar in temperament/energy levels to Pointers, or Weimaraners even, and that does concern me... I've never met a Weim or Pointer that I liked (not in a "oh this is a bad dog" way, but more of a "not a good fit" way) and I have met quite a few. However, I could count on only 1 hand the number of Dalmatians I've met in my entire life. For as well-known as they are, I had actually never met one until I was 23, so I know next to nothing about what they're like in person.

(alternately I've thought about someday adopting a freckled Border Collie and telling Fiance it's a Long-haired Dal) laugh out loud (lol. I am kidding) wink

Edited by author Sun Dec 9, '12 4:55pm PST

[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 5:07pm PST 
Hey, don't knock it. A friend of mine (who posts here also) worked at a spay/neuter clinic, booking in the morning clients, and in walks this woman with a Pit mix. She asked her "Pit Bull?" just because they give the Pit discount, and the woman looked bemused and said, "no, it's an Australian Shepherd!" Okie dokie laugh out loud I guess the rescue told her that's what it was and it was good enough for her wink
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 8:58pm PST 
My person had 2 Dalmatians, one died young from a twisted stomach, we think. The other, Specs died from cancer when he was around 17 years old. He was shy but a very nice dog.

She really likes dalmatians,then again she also really likes me and my kind isn't for everyone. Maybe a Dalmatian isn't for everyone either.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 5:54am PST 
There were three dogs in my childhood that I was very afraid of: one was a cocker spaniel, one was a standard poodle, and the most aggressive was a dalmation.

He lived behind my grandma and I KNOW that if he had been able to jump the fence, he certainly would have attacked me.

One day he disapeared from out back and thankfully I asked my grandma what happened, because it always scared me when I had to go into the back yard.

She told me that he ripped into a two year old and had to be put down.

Twenty years later, I realize he probably wasn't bred well and that probably had alot to do with his very bad temperament. But, his temperament is still the worst I've ever seen in a dog.

Typically, I don't think that Dals should be in just anyone's family. I think they CAN do well in a family environment IF the family is vigilant about supervising children. They're very high energy, tend towards the neurotic, and aren't friendly with strangers.

Some dogs have a high threshold for bullsh*t when it comes to humans, usually the sporting dogs are the most tolerant. Dalmations definitely aren't one of those dogs.

If it makes any difference, I typically try to steer people clear of any of the Belgian herding dogs unless they have experience, too.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 7:16am PST 
The problem with any breed popular for its coat is the simple fact that MANY breeders, yes even the ethical ones, tend to start overlooking those pesky temperament problems because the pup has the perfect markings...

Dals don't seem to have much of a work/show split; meaning that you don't hear of many breeders who breed for function, a particular sport or activity. They breed mostly for show coat quality, that's what most pet purchasers are looking at Dals for. Add to that the over popularity thanks to Disney, and you've got one seriously problematic breed. Those issues still linger, it takes a lot of work to bring back a breed from fast overbreeding with so little care taken toward proper temperament.

OP try to find a breeder who will mentor or at least work closely with you. I've known a few decent Dals, but they ALL need a lot of running to settle in for training, like a couple hours a day just to start. They have very little patience and can be sharp, both reasons that they're not your typical child friendly dog. They're large and rambunctious and don't tend to naturally tone that down around young kids. They can make nice lure coursing dogs, one of the nicest ones I've known was owned by a sighthound worker who ran the Dal too. It's common for folks to seriously underestimate how much exercise a dog needs that was bred to essentially run beside horses all day.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 8:51am PST 
I'm currently looking for a mentor. And I understand that they're not a breed for everyone. I was talking with the president of the Dalmatian Club of North Texas yesterday at a show, and when I mentioned that I wanted a Dal, the first thing that he asked me was "Are you sure?"

I am very sure that I want this breed, and their energy is one of the reasons why. I just need to make sure that I'm not going to be putting my nieces and nephews in any danger. They're all very well behaved around the dogs we do have, so I don't really worry too much about that. From what I have gathered from this thread, I just need to be very careful when looking at breeders and get to know the lines before buying any dog. And, of course, I need to socialize my puppy with children and make sure that it is properly exercised, trained, and otherwise cared for.

But, I have a question. I'm starting to search locally, but if I can't find a breeder that I like nearby, how do I get a feel for the temperament of a line of Dals that are further away?
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 9:12am PST 
OP it wasn't that long ago you were saying you were going to get a poodle, can I ask how you make the switch to a dal?? In my mind they're worlds apart.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5