GO!

Considering a man's best friend

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 10:43pm PST 
Alright, so I'm a senior in college and I've had the thought of getting a dog of my own for awhile but never really took any action. I've recently started to seriously consider it. I graduate in May, so I guess that means I have to go into the real world here in a little while (keeping my fingers crossed about a job). I was wondering if anyone had any input about getting a dog right around graduating college and starting a new job/maybe continuing school. I'm also trying to decide between GSPs and Labs. Thoughts?

The place I stay at during school is a small three bedroom house on about a quarter of an acre with a decently sized, fenced in back yard. Not sure where I'll be in six months, whether it be a job or possibly grad school. I'm an active person, love the outdoors, and want a jogging buddy. Growing up, my family always had a dog but now I want one of my own. I know it's a lot of responsibility but I think I can handle it. Just thought I'd try and pick at someone's brain for advice or considerations.
[notify]
Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 8:40am PST 
I'd say to wait until you can look ahead and say you likely DO know where you'll be in six months. You're about to get into a potentially very hectic and stressful time, and you'll have enough to adjust to with just finding a job and getting into the new routine.
[notify]
Maggie

Wishing For Snow

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 6:30pm PST 
I agree with Kodiak. Six months is really not that long and if you are getting a dog from a responsible breeder, you will most likely need to wait at least that long for a puppy.
[notify]