GO!

Breed Match for Someone Else

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 12:14pm PST 
I'm doing this for someone I know, and she's not sure what breed to get and was ORIGINALLY wanting a Bull Mastiff, but she wanted a male and I pointed out their tendency towards SSA as she has a male Rottweiler right now.

Anyway..

Criteria:
1. Little to no grooming preferred.
2. Must be good with kids or at least tolerant of them.
3. Exercise depends - they don't WALK their dogs, but they live on a farm and they let their current dog free roam outside, and he's an indoor/outdoor as he pleases dog.
4. She LOVES bully breeds and mastiffs most, so if there's anything in there that's least likely in terms of SSA, that's best. She also loves small dogs like Chihuahua's, Bichon/Shih-tzu's, etc.
5. Size doesn't matter.
6. They do not have farm animals, but they DO have two cats, so a breed more likely to be tolerant or good with cats is preferred too.
7. Not overly clingy, or in your face-velcro, but affectionate is wanted.
8. Eager to please, or at least more biddable than say, my hound.

I suggested the potential for a Lab for them as I think a Lab would be happy in their household. She DOES have a ton of experience with larger breeds; Mastiffs and Bullies in particular all ranging from APBT's, to Rottweilers and Bull Mastiffs.

So... Suggest away and ask whatever questions you want!
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 4:59pm PST 
My suggestions are purely on a surface level (ie, looking through my dog book and jotting down the one's that could be possibilities wink ), so feel free to nix these suggestions. Perhaps someone else will chime in on this soon. smile

Since she loves mastiffs and have experience with them, wouldn't an English Mastiff be a good fit overall? I thought they were less prone to SSA and made good family dogs, but I could be mistaken.

I also think Labs would be a good choice. Others in the Sporting group I thought could be possibilities were the Flat-Coated Retriever and the English Setter.

Shih-Tzu's and Poodles crossed my mind, but they require grooming.

Other breeds closer to bullies I thought *maybe* the Bulldog but don't know if they are prone to DA. Some others were the Boston Terrier, French Bulldog, and Boxer.

Other random breeds: Basset Hound, Beagle, Doberman, Fox Terrier, Pug, and Corgi.

So do they definitely want another male, or would they consider a female? Hope they find the perfect match for them!puppy

~Twist
[notify]