GO!

The most challenging breed?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 38)  
1  2  3  4  

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 10:57am PST 
I think for me personally, I can work with about anything but laziness and low biddability.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 11:29am PST 
@ Lucille. Airedales are far more independent than Giants and as you know, sideways approaches and making it their idea often goes best. Giants actually are highly biddable, but like to twist your brain. Handler bond is exceptionally strong, although you do question it on days laugh out loud....most would find it surprising that the Giants never ranges far from you. Natural behavior for them. If I unclip a GSD, they will run off way farther than a Giant would, who doesn't leave you out of their sight. They, unlike Airedales, were not used for hunting, and do have genetic influences of the Bouvier (maybe) and the Poodle (most definitely...I see a shade of Poodle in every Giant). Plus the Standard himself, who is grossly trainable. You'll have fun with them one day. The experiences with the Airedales will take you far.

Kerry Blues are a whole different banana. They have a lot of attitude. Very cool in that of all breeds I think Kerrys are the most do all breed on this planet....protection, herding, hunting, even water....and have a high capacity for precision, but getting them there is a tremendous exercise. They are shockingly easy to tick off....even with rewards laugh out loud.....and have a natural competitiveness that is a bit exasperating at times. A TOTAL trip.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 12:19pm PST 
Thanks for the info, Tiller. Good to know because I do adore Schnauzers. big grin

I am really in awe of those who can turn out a Kerry well, especially in OB. I've only had the chance to see that up close once, and I am certainly far from being able to pull that off. Stunning dog. I forgot about that and you're right, they should be on my most challenging list that's for sure...
[notify]

Zephyr

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 1:44pm PST 
The KBTs are getting popular here and I see them in OB fairly frequently. One is owned by a local judge and she is phenomenal. Another is in my OB class and she's "a trip" for sure.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 1:44pm PST 
What I personally would find challenging, would be a dog that has low biddability, high independence, low food/toy drives and stubbornness. I don't know what breed that is but I don't want one! laugh out loud
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 7:37pm PST 
The biggest challenge for me is size. It was the biggest challenge in th e world to get techniques that work with chihuahuas. You can't pop the leash, you can't move them around. You have to be bent over all the time to deal with them. They don't respond well to being bossed around. They have a short attention span.

The technique books seem to be geared for average sized or larger. It's taken us 3 years to teach foxxy to offer her paw, for example, and we are very consistent with the leash training, but she is so interested in absolutely everythign that we have to keep her on a snoot loop. At least she is focusing on the thing on her face and me with it on. When we have tried to take it back to a regular harness or collar, she wants to be all over the place again.

it's been a chllenge. I grew up with miniature schnauzers, and they are very stubborn, but they will do anything for carrots other than being silent. But Chihuahuas have been a very challenging experience. It's hard to be consistent when they are so cute. They can boss you around if you are not careful. They play tricks, and they can hide where you can't get them. They talk at you. It's hard not to anthropomorphize them. They act like perpetual toddlers, and I think they're about as smart.
[notify]
Okami- Amaterasu

I shalst- pluck-eth ze- toy...

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 8:15pm PST 
Shiba Inus!! laugh out loud
[notify]
Lola, in memory.

Her name was- Lola, she WAS a- show girl..

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 7:03pm PST 
My absolute worse are my Frenchies... it's a darn good thing they are entertaining or I would be crazy!!! I say "come" and my labs and poodles and cresteds bowl each other over to get to me first. Those Frenchies do not even wiggle the tip of their bat ears as they continue in the other direction.
I had one who went to work with me every single day...about 75 yards across the parking lot. For 15 or 16 days she would walk over with me at a perfect heel, then with no warning at all, would head for the hills, literally, the next day.
Sadly, they are also clowns but if I am in a hurry and trying to get them to do something I am in no mood for their clowning around. I DO have to laugh, though!!!
Now I just don't even try to teach them anything... they are great in the house and I keep them on leash outside. Works for me, works for them!
I have had two males, still have one, who were escape artists. They would chew thru the wire holding the chain link to the bottom pipes then escape. But, they BOTH immediately headed up the hill to the vet clinic next door. They would walk in with whomever was entering the building and pretend they were that person's new pet. The receptionists would give them a biscuit and call me to come get them.
I can't tell you how many times I have put everyone in their crates for the night, gone to bed, and then found Lola sleeping under my desk where she had been hiding from me. My poodles would NEVER do that!!!
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 38)  
1  2  3  4