GO!

The most challenging breed?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Shem

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 11:01pm PST 
In your opinion, what is the most challenging breed, in general? And why?

I personally lack the knowledge to judge. In my life, Shem is my second doberman and my first dog that I can realistically call my own and not "my family's". My family's first doberman, Alex, was already four years old when I was born.

So, I'd love to read about your various understanding and how you've come to define the term "challenging" when used on dog breeds.smile

-Shem-

Edited by author Mon Dec 3, '12 11:04pm PST

[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 6:27am PST 
From my understanding of breeds, the Caucasian Ovcharka would be the most challenging breed.

In what way do you mean challenging? Drivy, aggressive, hard to train, stubborn, etc.?
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 6:32am PST 
It's the shih-tzu/poodle mix. Can't get this dog to do a beeping thing! laugh out loud
[notify]

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 6:58am PST 
Jewelbig laughlaugh out loud

Yeah, we'd have to know what challenging meant. Getting a dog to do different than their DNA is always challenging.

Trying to get a hound to herd is quite a challenge!
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 9:44am PST 
I find Bichon Frises to be the most challenging dog when I see them in class. Runner up is an American Cocker Spaniel (purebred and mixed). They have such a low food/play drive with zero impulse control and little to no interest in their handler. Very challenging.

Edited by author Tue Dec 4, '12 9:45am PST

[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 10:54am PST 
smile A Golden that is too social and leaves the ring to visit every stinking time!!

From reading threads here, a breed you do not research first before getting.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 11:07am PST 
Jewel has low food/toy drive, no interest in me and is social at the ring. Look at that, a mix of all the worse traits. Go Jewel!
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 12:50pm PST 
Depends on what you consider challenging.

Low drive doesn't interest me.
Structurally non-conducive to rigorous activity doesn't interest me.
Dogs who don't inherently desire work with me don't interest me.

A challenge for me would be a Peke or a Pug or a livestock guardian type. Give me the crackhead Mals, the snippy JRTs and screwy ACDs.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 1:26pm PST 
I agree with Zephyr. It depends on what you think is challenging, or on what you mean in terms of challenging. I think it comes down to the individual person really.

Right now, I'd find a Mal challenging, or a Caucasian Ovtcharka as was said above. But give me the stubborn hounds and the large mastiffs any day and I can work with them without issue.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 1:57pm PST 
In my experience Border Collies...possibly the most intelligent canine which means they can easily mess with their human's heads. A well trained Border collie is a champion herder, hard working and eager to please. A poorly trained Border Collie is like a crackhead with ADHD, hyper, neurotic and destructive. The key to these beautiful doggies is early proper training daily learning challenges and lots n lots of exercise.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4