GO!

Would a good breeder sell a show prospect to someone in their late teens/early 20s?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 9:14am PST 
This is mostly out of curiosity, but also because I want to buy a Dalmatian for conformation showing and agility in 3 or 4 years or so. I was told that I would not be able to buy my puppy, because no reputable breeder would sell their potential show dogs to someone as young as I am (I'm 19 years old). Is there any truth to that?
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 9:28am PST 
Throw enough money at anything and you will be able to do it. Potential breeding and showing dogs come with contracts between you and the breeder. The reason they would not do it is because it is very expensive to show a dog and expect it to actually win anything. People at the big dog shows can spend up to 3 million dollars on a show quality dog between flying it to shows, grooming, training, fees, boarding, vet care, stud fees, etc.

And then come the eventual puppies, which will also all require vet care. At age 19, it's not so much age as it is a breeder knowing that most 19 year olds don't have that kind of cash and time required. Remember a show dog's life in the ring is about 7 years before it becomes too old to for shows, other than dog sports and obedience.

and hovering over all of that is your contract with the breeder for whatever the breeder wants to have in the contract. a kennel's bitches and studs are not really usually yours, they're more on loan for training and socialization until its best days are behind it.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 9:51am PST 
That's a very good point about money Taggert. Thank you for your input.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 10:46am PST 
short & long answer:

if you come out of the blue, probably not.

if they know you over time and your involvement with training, the breed club, what your aspirations are, etc.. why not? smile
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 10:55am PST 
I don't see why not. I know a girl through another site i'm on who is in her late teens/early twenties and she owns two show dogs now and is relatively successful with her male. I think she's mentored by her breeder too which might help.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 11:26am PST 
When I was in my early twenties I got a job at a breeding/show kennel just so the owner would get to know me and mentor me. Sure, I started out at the bottom, staying home and cleaning dogs while she went off to the shows but I stuck it out and within about 6 or 7 years I was showing her dogs and I had my own show dog and went on from there.
Now, 40 years later I own my own kennel and have some young adults working/mentoring with me.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 11:33am PST 
Toto am I too old to come learn the way of the poodle from you?? hail
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 12:17pm PST 
Thanks everyone. So, how would I make a good impression on a breeder?
[notify]
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 12:56pm PST 
Im around the same age as you as is my cousin and neither of us have never had any trouble with breeders saying we am to young to have a show dog (while I do not currently have a conformation dog, my cousin has 2 show Bernese mountain dogs).

I have always met with them multiple times and have always shown that I am knowledgeable but also willing and eager to learn from them. I think it just depends on the breeder and yourself, there has to be a link or spark, your personalities have to be compatible (they will probably want to co-own the dog and give lots of advise).

If the breeder is overly concerned about your age and not concerned about your experience or willingness to learn then in all likelihood they will not be that fun to work with.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 2:46pm PST 
Something that you can do also, that tends to impress a breeder, is show dedication and knowledge about what you are doing.

Join an agility/OB club, and start making connections. Work your own dogs there, let them see you are capable, and put yourself out there and prove yourself dedicated. You don't have to be competing... but get in on that circle. Go to trials, watch other dogs run, schmooze with handlers and owners and breeders.

Take a handling class... who cares if your current dogs aren't going to show, do it for the experience, and for the references. You want to handle one of their dogs, what better way to show you're serious than going out there and seeing what its about. If you build a good relationship with these people, have them offer their opinion of you to the potential breeder.

And most importantly of all, as was already mentioned, start building a relationship with them NOW. If you are aiming for 4 years in future, start all this NOW, get in contact with them NOW, and let them see your dedication and progress as its unfolding. That, I think, will mean more to them than anything.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2