GO!

Is my dog an American Bulldog?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Frost

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 8:04pm PST 
I bought this puppy from a man on Craigslist last month. According to the person this puppy is a pure breed American Bulldog but all my friends think he's a Pitbull. I've researched a bunch of pictures online of puppies his age and he look like he could be either or! Can someone go into my album and tell me what you think he is?
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 8:06pm PST 
Have you seen the dog's parents? Not only to see what they looked like but also to see what sort of temperaments they had. I would not be trusting someone selling on Craigslist to be producing quality-bred pups and I'd be concerned about poor breeding, especially in a breed such as an Am Bulldog where temperament can be a big problem. You may have your work cut out for you if this pup's breeding was less-than-stellar.

ETA "pit bull" isn't a breed but rather a term encompassing several breeds or "pit bull-type" dogs.

Edited by author Thu Nov 29, '12 8:15pm PST

[notify]
Frost

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 8:37pm PST 
The guy I bought it from wasnt the breeder. His friend is the breeder and gave this dog to the guy I bought it from because it was the "runt" of the litter. The wife of the guy I bought it from wouldnt let him keep it so he solf it to me thru Craigslist.....Does that all make sense?

Anyway, I've had the puppy for almost a month now and he is a good dog. He is great with my kids, he doesnt chew on anything, he's house trained, and he learns commands very quickly. It really doesnt bother me if he was not a pure breed like the guy claimed he was....I'm just curious. I thought about doing that dog DNA test they have now days.
[notify]

Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 8:51pm PST 
So the guy on Craigslist got him from the breeder when he was 4 weeks old?

Edited by author Thu Nov 29, '12 8:52pm PST

[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 9:13pm PST 
Hi, Frost. So relieved to hear you love your puppy and that he is a good boy. I always worry when I read posts such as yours that they thought they got one thing and now that they are questioning it don't love him anymore frown And with three homes already at such a young life, he's really had enough of that.

He minimally is part American Bulldog Please look up "Scott" type and "Performance" type. That may make you see it more.

Would also like to add that there is an American Pit Bull Terrier breed. HERE is an example smile

Edited by author Thu Nov 29, '12 9:25pm PST

[notify]
Frost

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 9:22pm PST 
Farley...

The guy i got him from said he was 10 weeks old when i bought him. I've had him for about 4 weeks now. So i guess he's about 3 1/2 months old now.
[notify]
Frost

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 9:25pm PST 
Tiller....

I love this dog and i didnt buy him for his breed. I bought him because he was adorbale and my wife really wanted him. We knew before hand that he didnt come with any papers at all.

I've been researching the different types of American Bulldogs and he really does look like the "scott" type to me. So you believe he's for sure mixed with something else and not a pure breed?
[notify]

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 9:30pm PST 
Oh no....he could be pure. He's obviously not from the best breeder, so his "type"....meaning the structure....is going to stick out less than dogs you know are purebred. How much does he weigh?

The Johnson dogs have the more extreme type. Some of the Scott breeders really don't care, they look for the athletic ability. I've seen presumed mixes and the papers showed up on them later. So he could be pure. He doesn't look particularly Pit Bull-ish to me, more AB.

Sweet face smile
[notify]
Frost

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 9:45pm PST 
I dont know how much he weighs. I would have to guess he's at least 30 lbs now. He's gotten much bigger in the 4 weeks that we've had him.

According to the guy i bought my dog from, The breeder an experienced breeder. He said the the breeder did not want to register this dog because he wasnt up to par with his standards...also why he gave him to the guy i bought him from. Apparently both of my puppies parents are AKC registered AB's...But of course there is no way for me to verify any of this information. It's all just hear-say.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 9:54pm PST 
Hmmm. The AB is not recognized by the AKC. So they either said or meant UKC (United Kennel Club) or were pulling your chain. Certainly you could file him under "close enough." Be sure you socialize a ton, train early and he will need lots of exercise smile

There's a Dogster here, Scooter.....here is her page - http://www.dogster.com/dogs/648582. She used to breed Pit Bulls and knows a lot more than I do. I know these sorts of breeds (UKC) mostly from a rescue perspective.

Edited by author Thu Nov 29, '12 9:57pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2