GO!

Irish Setter in the city?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 10:45am PST 
Ooooo....she's beautiful!

Let me give you an insider cheat sheet! laugh out loud

First though let me say that when you deal with breed rescue, their whole life is the consequence of the results of bad matches or people getting involved with the breed impulsively, so they can be hardliners. Just keep that in mind.

My cheat sheet for you is to impress them with your breed knowledge. That and it totally depends who you are talking to....as in a foster vs a adoptions counselor. Rescues have different structures. Sometimes all volunteers are involved in adoption decisions, while others it comes down to either an adoption counselor or the rescue's figurehead. It just depends.

That aside, you need to show your breed knowledge. You need to *substitute* your lack of breed experience with making it clear you have done a lot of research and know this breed like a book. This impresses and reassures.

Two things you must ask are how is she with separation anxiety and barking. These are two prominent reasons for Collie's being given up. In and amongst this, two facts about you I observe. One is if you are indeed allowed to bring her to work, that you are a better placement for a dog with some SA. The other is that if she DOES bark, she wouldn't be the right home anyway. In other words, you get "extra points" for being a potential Collie home as the dog won't be alone much, and if the dog IS a barker (which she may BE off their description), she wouldn't be right for you anyway, so might as well find that out now. Explain WHY you can't have a bad barker and that this is your prominent Collie concern. That may make them nervous, but it is something to say as it is the one potential reason why this breed might not be right for you. Collies bark a LOT. Some are quieter, and that is what you'd need.

So you can say that you have done a lot of research on this breed and know it is potentially the right one for you. Don't say you love Lassie.....that would be your death knell! SAY that you have been restricting your research to breeds who would be good for a first time dog owner, are gentle but active, very smart and trainable. Don't say "because they are so beautiful." Another death knell.

Let me side track for a moment with you, if I may. Collies went through a HORRIBLE stage where the breed was almost ruined. Due to their popularity, bad genetics got in and the temperaments suffered. Collies literally got nasty. Very snappy and unreliable, which is utterly wrong for the breed. Health issues also spread like wildfire. So wanting a Collie because of Lassie or because it is pretty or things of that nature? They immediately concern the rescue. You don't want to come off sounding like a cliche. You also don't want to sound too much like you've been looking at a lot of different dogs from a lot of different breeds but just connected with her pictures or description...because they KNOW she is beautiful. Stay away from that. Many dogs end up in rescue via impulse for being beautiful. If you are to say anything, stick to things such as she "looks lively" or "very bright."

STICK to why the Collie is right for you. The trainability, the gentle manner, trainability, smarts. They also are VERY loyal. Like infamously loyal. No breed is more known for finding their way home and/or finding their masters in "Incredible Journey" sort of treks of hundreds or even thousands of miles. It's breed lore. Show you know this. SAY that you know because they are so loyal perhaps it takes some adjustment time for her to know she is truly home, for you know of this breed's loyalty and no matter where she comes from, she is probably still loyal to her master.

SAY you love cats and are all into sensitivity, and that this is one reason why you feel you would match well with a Collie....you would be able to understand their sensitive side.

Read all the info you can on Collie's beforehand. Read terrificpets.com, digitialdog.com, also yourpurebredpuppy.com. This will prepare you to represent yourself as a future Collie owner best.

Helpful I hope? Please let me know of any q's?
[notify]
Van

The Grey Ghost

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 8:58pm PST 
The Irish Setter needs lots of mental and physical exercise. They are difficult to train. This is a breed that needs firm handling. You must teach them not to jump on humans. They can also be a pain to housebreak. The type of exercise provided will determine how fast you tire the dog. The Irish Setter was bred for hunting. This breed tends to bloat, so I recommend a raw diet. They need a brisk walk every day. You might want to consider the Irish Terrier, Irish Water Spaniel, English Setter, Pointer, Gordon Setter, and Spanish Pointer.
[notify]
Chatagirl

Crazy cat lady- aspiring to be a- dog mom

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 12:39pm PST 
"we require that you have a secure, fenced yard. I would scan the shelter listings, they have no requirements other than payment."

It's fence (or non fence) discrimination shrug

Too bad because the more I read about collies it really does sound like a great match if I could train to them contain their inside barking (part of why I prefer an adult - better sense if whether they are a big time barker or not). I guess it's a good for the dogs they have so much interest they can do global exclusions way to go sucks for me frown

It might just be me but as someone new to dogs I don't feel comfortable pulling a dog from a shelter simply based on being the breed I want (I know the shelters she is referring to - high volume, high kill with little to no behavior or health assessment pre adoption).
[notify]

Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 7:50pm PST 
If you get a red Golden Retriever, everyone will call it an Irish Setter. laugh out loud
[notify]
Isabelle the- Great

Nothing is- greater than an- Springer!

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 12:29pm PST 
Chatagirl, If you are still interested in the English Springer Spaniel, please check out www.springerrescue.org. That is the website for the ESRA, English Springer Rescue America plus links for other springer rescues. Each dog is pulled from a shelter and placed in a foster home where we evaluate and then place for adoption. Some dogs do not have a fenced yard requirement. Plus once approved in your state, you are approved for all ESRA states, next step would to be find a dog and go from there.

I foster for this rescue, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me!
[notify]
Chatagirl

Crazy cat lady- aspiring to be a- dog mom

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 7:26pm PST 
Isabelle, thank you! I will definitely check them out applause

The english springer is definitely high up on my 'to be considered' list. It's hard because I don't think I have ever met one, or even seen one in person. Other than cockers I don't think spaniels or setters are very popular in CA. There's a pretty big dog show by me in Jan and hopefully I'll see some there. Although, I do think I passed a water spaniel while driving down the street today.

I will say that since Irish Setter seems to be out of the running, samoyed and rough collie have moved to the top of the list.

The samoyed rescue was having an event and I met a couple of their past rescues today. Was able to ask a lot of questions and they sounded like they would be willing to work with me (esp when I said I could take a well behaved dog to work) if a good match came into rescue. Very sweet dogs(bigger than I remembered 70lb male and 85lb female that had been 105lbs when she entered rescue!), good with the kids that came up to pet them, well behaved(interested but not jumpy or anxious). Seemed like they would be fine in the office while I worked. What can I say? I guess I like my critters fluffy shrug

I hope I'm not one of those types that fall in love with every dog and can't make a decision shock Considering I would like to go through rescue and my needs list is pretty long, I'd like to have a few breeds on my final list and see what/who comes available. Not sure how the rescues feel about someone being on a few waiting lists?
[notify]
Somerwynd- Tell Tail

Mr. Personality

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 6:53pm PST 
I have a clumber spaniel and two sussex spaniels, and have to admit that I am enamored of all spaniels. They are just lovely personality wise and most have a good off switch (I'd stay away from the field springers and english cockers and the boykins who are much higher energy and not suited for apartment life IMHO). This is my third clumber and my previous two (both boys) would have been great jogging partners (I don't jog anymore but used to jog 5+ miles a day so have a good idea). My current Clumber is a really heavy boy and wouldn't handle it as well. A girl would be fine with jogging. And sad to say there are a lot turning up in rescue lately... Sussex are higher energy little clowns (relatively little - about 40 lbs). Higher energy than the clumbers but still with a good off switch. My only caveat with clumbers and sussex is that the shedding and drool are a turnoff for some (and might be hard to deal with in a work environment). I've been seeing a lot of really nice Field Spaniels lately - and the red ones look almost like a mini irish setter if you like that look. And there are some lovely springers (Welsh and English) and english cockers. Good luck whatever you decide!
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 8:12pm PST 
My Rough Collie might just be a fluke, but she rarely ever barks, and never once barked in the house. The only time she barks loudly is when I'm playing with her and riling her up, then she gets super excited and races around me in circles barking her fool head off. Once I stop playing and go into the house, she stops barking. She does bark when people come to the house, but it's usually just a couple of deep barks and stops once she knows I've seen them or I tell her to hush. I didn't really have to do much, if any, training for her to not bark a lot. I assumed that all Rough Collies were like this, but I guess I just got lucky with a quiet one! laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2