GO!

Favorite Doodle?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 5: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 3:43pm PST 
Oh, I changed my mind, I want one of those Whizzerdoodles!big laugh
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 4:07pm PST 
applause Tiller applause
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 8:28pm PST 
Shane big laugh
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 9:18pm PST 
big laugh We need a Whizzerdoodle too.big laughbig laughbig laugh
Our pack is a little oversized, but for a Whizzer er would make room
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 6:18am PST 
Shane laugh out loud

But I agree with Tiller and Bunny. Just give me a regular old Poodle any day. smile
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 6:38am PST 
I love mutts and mixes as much as I love some purebreeds. I currently own an Airedale x St. poodle mix from an oops litter. She's very smart, has a great sense of humor, drivey as all get out like her Dale sire, yet she has an incredibly soft mouth. Her dam was the Spoo and I think that has softened her temperament a bit. She's got a great off-switch in the house, but she's raring to go outdoors as long as I am. The biggest difference I notice is her total control over her mouth and bite inhibition. I handle some pure Dales and they're very different in that regard. She's a natural retriever, something I've had to work much harder on with the Dales. I just find it interesting to see what traits come to the fore in mutts and mixes, that's true of all those I encounter. Healthwise she's had some skin problems that could be genetic or not. thankfully we seem to have that under control at this point; avoiding wheat completely was the key to that, I think. Sire and dam have good hip scores, but I'll need to have her checked out before I do anything more athletic than what we've been doing, her gait can be hinky.

As far as purchased Doodles go, I've seen some very nice ones similar to a PWD, they seem to be a bit more mellow. The majority of the Lab x St. poodles or Golden x St. poodles I've met have been truly hyper, it must take them awhile to settle in if they ever do. I've only met one older dog of that mix, so I'm not sure if they do mellow out much as they age...
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 1:40pm PST 
Frankly none. We have a fair few who board or go to the park. I wouldn't own a single one. The best of the bunch is probably a poodle/Schnauzer mix and I think that's a fluke that I can handle being around him more than others.

Honestly, most people who deliberately purchase doodles from 'on purpose' litters haven't done enough research to know better and it will be reflected in the dog.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 3:48pm PST 
Even if they were all being bred responsibly and with purpose, I'd still say a good ole' Poodle over all of them.
And at that, even the cleaner look of the Poodle over the "doodles" doesn't appeal to me.

I like a clean face on my dogs, sharp features, and a shedding easy to manage coat.

On top of that, I've yet to meet a "doodle" with a personality that meshes with what I like. This bouncy, in-your-face-needs-to-always-be-with-you is not something I'm much a fan of.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 7:21pm PST 
Setting aside the whole designer dog thing, I honestly have not met a "doodle" that I've liked yet. They've all been bat you-know-what insane. No thanks!

I'll take a Standard Poodle with a gorgeous long coat like this!
[notify]
Van

The Grey Ghost

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 9:22pm PST 
Those who are against breeding hybrid dogs obviously have never heard of hybrid vigor or don’t know enough about it to open their mouths. Hybrid vigor can improve the performance of many animals. That means, you get a better hunting, herding, agility, etc. dog when you cross breeds. Most serious hunters do not breed purebreds, but actually cross breeds almost every generation. Crossing two breeds is referred to as hybridizing, as a hybrid can be a cross of two species, subspecies, or populations. Trust me, purebreds are far, far from perfect. In fact, many breeders of hybrid dogs find that F1 (first generation) hybrids make the best mothers. It’s also no secret that hybrids outlive their purebred counterparts by many years. With most purebreds, you can’t look at a 3-generation pedigree without seeing at least one ancestor repeating (inbreeding). It’s supposed to secure traits, but I call it nothing less than stupidity. You can health test a purebred until your pocketbook is empty, but only about 1% of diseases are covered by DNA tests. When you breed a Labrador Retriever to a Labrador Retriever, you are doubling your chance of puppies with potential health problems associated with the Labrador Retriever breed. A one-in-a-million disease can easily become a one-in-four disease! Honestly, if you are looking for health, your best bet is a hybrid. However, many of these hybrids are no being bred to be new breeds, with third, fourth, fifth, and so on generations being bred. I always laugh at people who claim that breeding two different purebreds will result in the worst of both breeds! This is just not the case. Dogs from genetically diverse parents are going to have stronger immune systems. This helps in withstanding infections, parasites, viruses, autoimmune diseases, and allergies.

My favorite is the Weimardoodle, of course. They look like a wire-coated Weimaraner. I am a huge Weimaraner fan in general. They are beautiful dogs. There is a smooth-coated Weimaraner, the long-coated Weimaraner, and the Weimardoodle looks very much like a wire-coated Weimaraner! My next dog may be a Weimardoodle. I’ve met a Weimardoodle that was possibly one of the most amazing dogs I’ve ever encountered.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 5: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5