GO!

Favorite Doodle?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 2:54pm PST 
Well, i quite like the look of Goldendoodles and some Labradoodles, but their personalities don't suit me. They always seem so "in your face" and boisterous.

I don't have any issue with them two in particular being bred, but i'm not a fan with crossing every single breed with a Poodle! A Giant Schnoodle? Berdoodle? Boxerdoodle? Whatever.

Buster, i think i know of the dogs you're talking of. They was adorable puppies. One of the couples who rehomed one of the puppies is a member of another forum i'm on and they was posting regular updates of the pup growing up but they haven't been on ages now. Was a cute, but HUGE, pup! way to go

Edited by author Sun Nov 25, '12 2:54pm PST

[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 3:12pm PST 
I'm with Tiller, cross out the D and put in an S .... Spoodlebig grin

ETA in case anyone doesn't know, like I didn't... Spoodle= Standard Poodlewink

Edited by author Sun Nov 25, '12 3:14pm PST

[notify]
Ikan

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 4:38pm PST 
I agree with an earlier post. What is wrong with a dog just being a mixed breed or mutt. All this is doing is letting people charge a lot of money by giving them a fancy name.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 4:51am PST 
while I don't precisely think that dogs of any kind are ugly, there are definitely "looks" that don't appeal to me, and the doodle is one of those that for me is borderline ugly.

I think the most unattractive dog I ever laid eyes on was a Doberman poodle mix. Large dog. Looked alot like a schnauzer, but had tan points. Had a less then steller temperament.

I would have to say I've never met a doodle that really impressed me, or that had attributes that were sufficient for me to consider them legitimate as a breeding project. Need a smart, sensitive, non shedder? The standard poodle. Don't care about shedding and want a family buddy? The golden or the lab take care of that pretty well.

As far as function, both the labs and the poodle and golden retriever are all water dogs and have similar health problems because of that. There's really nothing that breeding doodle does that eliminates any particular health issue.

In fact, labradoodles and golden doodles have a higher then average chance of getting Addison's disease, and certain health issues like hip dysplasia occur in every single breed of dog AND mutts because it's polygenic and the only way to know what you're dealing with is to get hip xrays.

But, people get sucked into the idea that mutts are the way to go, and as far as I'm concerned it's buyer beware unless the dog comes from a shelter.
[notify]
Zoey

Better than I- was

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 6:08am PST 
I AM a schnoodle, well I used to be a poorly bred with no testing done on my parents schnoodle. Now I am just a mutt and happier and healthier for it. I am a rescue with special needs, I take four meds three times a day to keep me seizure free(ish). While I am cute and was probably adorable as a puppy, I would have been just as cute as a regular old schnauzer. So they bred two hypo-allergenic dogs together and that makes sense how?
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 7:20am PST 
In all seriousness, every doodle I've seen isn't what I'd call cute. They look like scraggly mutts. I don't like the scraggly look. Heck, I'm not even a fan of the poodle's look (sorry all).

I met 2 labradoodles at the dog park. They were white and black and seriously ugly to my eye. Fun dogs, don't get me wrong. Goofy as all get out, and they made me laugh quite a bit. But if we're being honest here, then I guess my opinion is quite brutal.shrug
[notify]
Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 1:00pm PST 
I once mistook someone's poorly bred PWD for a labradoodle. big laugh
No friends were made on that day. laugh out loud shrug

Standard poodles are my favorite poodle. All these recent trendy designer mutts rub me the wrong way, and I'm glad I haven't seen any Akitadoodles or Basenjioodles, hahaha.
[notify]
Lola

Poodle, not- doodle!

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 2:34pm PST 
No.
[notify]
Shane DEC- '08-JAN '12- RIP

In dreams I walk- with you..

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 2:50pm PST 
Oh far and away my very favorite is the extremely rare Royale Whizzerdoodle. They are quite large, 300 pounds+, and pee a lot, but the can do your taxes and of course, are hypo-allergenius big laugh big laugh big laugh
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 3:00pm PST 
Favorite Doodle? None. Every one I've met is a crazy maniac and I cringe when I hear what people pay for them. "Fluffy is a purbred Labradoodle!" No, it's not a purebred, it's barely an outcross, and while you may love your dog; it's not a breed. It's a hybrid, a craze, a fad, a moneymaker for some breeder.

Poodles on their own merit are simply awesome dogs. Why screw up a good thing?
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5