GO!

Met some silver labs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 3:56am PST 
I know most people that have Silver Labs are as bad as the "my dog is a rare hybrid designer dog NOT a mutt!" people....But that's as much as I know.

Here's a good place to see some mismarked Labs though: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/mismarks.html
Some neat things happen in labs
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 7:55am PST 
Just a little info on the genetics of silver labs.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/silverlabs.html

I have had more than a few in class and they are insane, beyond lab insane, even belong weim insane. Nice, but absolutely insane.
[notify]
Shane DEC- '08-JAN '12- RIP

In dreams I walk- with you..

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 8:28am PST 
Shane was a Shelterhunde, so I don't know for sure what his background was. In all likelihood he was a Weim/Lab or Silver Lab. He didn't look like either breed but was obviously a combination of both.
Labeled stupid and probably untrainable at the shelter, I discovered that while he was definitely into doing his own thing, i could use that as a reward and he became immensely trainable.
While I would never condone the designer craze or breeding specifically for size or a rare color, I will always treasure my brief time with him.
[notify]

Van

The Grey Ghost

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 9:02pm PST 
The amount of silver Labrador Retrievers began to increase in the 1990's because of the increasing number of chocolate Labs in the gene pool. Most show breeders only breed for three standard colors. DNA testing has shown that silver Labs are not a cross between a Labrador Retriever and Weimaraner, but are chocolate Labs with the dilution gene. You will often find a lot of anti-silver all over show breeders pages, but most of it is a bunch of rubbish! Silver Labs are no less pure than black, chocolate, or yellow Labs. The AKC will register silver Labs, but as chocolate, not silver. I feel it is just a matter of time before the AKC finally recognizes silver as a color in the Lab.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2