GO!

Breed selector

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 8:31am PST 
Hi dogster! I'm a college student waiting to get a dog until my two yea degree is finished and I have a place of my own (approximately 1.5 years time) we have two dogs at home but neither would be coming with me.

For sake of convenience I'm looking for a dog who weighs 25-50 pounds. I'd prefer a coat that isn't too demanding but for the right temperament that's not a major concern.

I'm looking for a dog that will be easily trained and handler oriented, with a strong desire to please. I have high hopes of training this dog off leash. I'd like an affectionate dog, but not a dog thats in my face all the time. I'm looking for a dog with medium energy, I have no problem providing 45 minutes of daily exercise and some days if I'm not busy it would be more (whether biking or walking or hiking local trails). I'm looking to possibly try agility with this dog as well.

A dog that is friendly enough with strangers. I'd prefer to avoid dog breeds known with higher instances of DA.

And just for the record: I will be looking to most likely adopt my dog but I want to have a list of breeds so I can either go through breed specific rescue or just know which breeds to look for in shelters.
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 3:54pm PST 
Can you tell us what breeds your family has and what you like or don't like about them?
[notify]

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 4:53pm PST 
We have two hound mixes at home, one is two and the other is estimated to be 4-5. I love their friendly nature and one is very easy going in the house but very easily turns the switch on outside or inside if I initiate play. I love their small size (34 and 31lbs). One is mixed with a spaniel of some kind and is very visual unlike the other who is a mix of two hounds and so instead is 100% about his nose. Both have perfect energy level, happy to go 30 or more minutes a day and longer on weekends. But they're somewhat hard to change. Neither have a very strong will to please lol I'd like a dog who was more handler focused and who would have more potential as an off leash companion. If I could find a dog that was also somewhat protective that would be a bonus.
[notify]

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 6:22am PST 
I would look in rescues for a young adult Hound/guardian mixed breed. They're everywhere in the south, and shelters around here bring the up by the busload. They're very often as you've described - Easy coat, mid-size, affectionate and handler-focused, suspicious enough to guard without actively trying to take anyone out, energy to work but when the job is done, it's done. Of course with mixed breeds you're going to get a lot of variation, so looking for a slightly older dog will help you better gauge his personality.

It sounds like you enjoy the energy level and personalities of your current Hound mixes, and that is tough to come by outside of a Hound. Mixing it with a guardian instead of a hunting dog or another Hound would ideally bring out a little more of the focus you're looking for.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 9:18pm PST 
Any particular guardian breeds that may be better choices to seek out in hound mixes? I do understand that of course with a mix breed you don't know what traits the dog will inheri till their older and that just because a dog is mixed with a breed doesn't mean they'll have any traits from them... But I just want to have an idea of certain breeds that may be better to consider than others. I have seen so many dogs who are put in bad situations because someone didnt do enough research to know what was really a good match and I just don't want to be a statistic or be the reason a dog is unhappy or unfulfilled in their living situation.
[notify]