GO!

Lets Trash Goldens (from a Golden Lover)

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Buster

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 1:07pm PST 
Northern Ireland it's some of the UK lines that are starting to have resource guarding issues but I think it's mostly the puppymilled/byb lines which are always going to have problems.
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 1:54pm PST 
Sorry, Selli... I read somewhere that they originate from Loch Ness area... But Guisachan, is only about ten miles away from Loch Ness so I wasn't far off puppy

Edited by author Mon Nov 19, '12 1:58pm PST

[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 2:22pm PST 
Rocky, I wasn't trying to disagree with you, just give the exacts so you knew exactly how close to the origin spot. By the way, as a Scottish person, how would you pronounce "Selchie?"
[notify]

Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 8:32pm PST 
The other down side to Goldens is if you get to know one, they will steal your heart. And don't think you're ever going to get *that* back again.

(also, your socks...but those they will bring back to you wink )
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 7:38am PST 
I call them happiness in a fur coatlaugh out loud
In recent years I have run into several aggressive ones and I would guess this is just a result of bad breeding but the first time it happened I was so surprised I just stood there and almost got bitten. Most recently we had one living next door that severely mauled a couple of smaller dogs and attacked both Shadow and Sabi. I had to chase it away from an older lady walking down the street. It kept trying to bite her and even managed to tear her coat before I intervened and chased it home.
I think the problem is everyone expects them to be nice so a not nice one is a total surprise.
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 12:06pm PST 
Selli left a sock outside the other day, we were like "what is that in the yard?"
[notify]
Charlie Pete

G-day mate! - Wanna Play?

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 7:13pm PST 
I used to have a stunningly beautiful, absolutely drop-dead pure bred Golden from a very reputable breeder. She was fantastic. Incredible, lovable, placid dog IF (and this is a huge IF) you wanted her to do what she wanted to do. Very fortunately most of the time she wanted to please and all was good. But if you ever, ever dared to want her to do something she didnt want to do, she was IMPOSSIBLE. The absolute most stubborn creature I have ever seen. She would plop herself down on the ground and not budge. Nothing, nobody, no-how was ever going to move her when her stubbornness kicked in. No bribes, no calling, no trickery, no treat would get her backside moving. We used to call her "concrete dog". Impossible to move. Impossibly stubborn. Drove me bananas and then drove me right back to mixed-breed mutts! big laugh
[notify]
Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 9:28pm PST 
How are they on the shedding front?

*looks at huge bag of piebald dog hair collected off both the dog and furnishings*
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 7:05am PST 
"I used to have a stunningly beautiful, absolutely drop-dead pure bred Golden from a very reputable breeder. She was fantastic. Incredible, lovable, placid dog IF (and this is a huge IF) you wanted her to do what she wanted to do. Very fortunately most of the time she wanted to please and all was good. But if you ever, ever dared to want her to do something she didnt want to do, she was IMPOSSIBLE. The absolute most stubborn creature I have ever seen. She would plop herself down on the ground and not budge. Nothing, nobody, no-how was ever going to move her when her stubbornness kicked in. No bribes, no calling, no trickery, no treat would get her backside moving. We used to call her "concrete dog". Impossible to move. Impossibly stubborn. Drove me bananas and then drove me right back to mixed-breed mutts"

Ahhhhh, the classic Golden passive resistance! When people would attempt to get some Goldens (even my own boy sometimes) in the tub at my self-service dog wash, they would pull a Gandhi and become dead-weight. We would just have two people pick them up and drop them in the tub. Luckily we never had to worry about them getting upset with us picking them up. Their ploy didn't work! I never had that issue with Selli, my agility dog.
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 12:14pm PST 
The only times I ever had my Golden "put on the breaks" was when the vet tried to take her in the back without me, and that was only after she'd had to stay at the vet overnight for something (I think it was after her trip to the e-vet). Before that she had no problem going anywhere with them, after, it was "no way you're gonna go weigh me, I'm not leaving without my person!" If I went with her it was fine and she still loved the vets, just did not want to go off with them.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3