GO!

Article in the Dogster Blog About ONLY Adopting Shelter Dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 8 of 11: Viewing entries 71 to 80)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 11:39am PST 
Charlie! That first GSD girl is in my province.. don't torture me like that! big laugh Besides myself, Farley is beyond infatuated with female GSDs.. shock
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 11:40am PST 
"When we tried to talk to the rescue about our adopted dog's issues, they threw their hands up in the air and basically said they had no clue what to do and left us to deal with her issues on our own."

There you go. Or give you clueless and inept advice. If rescue WANTS part of their market to be those who view rescue as a market...a place to get a nice dog, rather than simply being hell bent on rescuing....they need to EVOLVE.

If you had gone with my rescue, you would have gotten full, knowledgeable assessment, and I would have been someone to go to who could have given guidance, not only generally but through knowing and having assessed the dog personally.

Sadly, many rescues do not have this. Rescue cannot reasonably expect to compete alongside the breeder market without this level of standard. PERIOD.
[notify]
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 11:59am PST 
There are all kinds of shelters and rescues. Some better than others, a whole spectrum. There are various adopter experiences to be had with the range of shelters, rescues, and sanctuaries that are out there.

But when you speak of the "breeder market," there are also the million shades of grey. The guest that just posted about their positive experience went to a good breeder after doing lots of research. The majority of BYB's and the puppy stores would just as certainly have no answer to a buyer's concerns about health or behavior. They would be clueless, give incredibly bad advice, be defensive, or simply not care. Or would have disappeared/ refuse to answer.

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 12:38pm PST 
Tiller, I don't doubt that if you had been a part of that rescue, we'd probably have two well adjusted rescue dogs. I also agree that breeders have a million shades of grey.

But, once bitten twice shy and I was NOT going to make the same mistake again and I didn't just trust the first breeder I talked to. I learned from the mistakes and I own the fact that I was ignorant and thought that all rescues were the same.

I know better now, but the damage was done at the time.
[notify]
D'artagnan

I'm not lazy,- I'm just waiting- to play..

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 2:39pm PST 
I actually met a person with this attitude when I worked in doggy daycare. She refused to talk to me once I told her Dar was from a breeder. It's definitely frustrating and offensive as they think they are much better than you. I mean, if someone is deliberately not talking to you for this reason, they are trying to be offensive. But it was also a little sad because her poor little rescue cocker was gross. He went from fat to obese as she constantly fed him treats and never real food (I called him the footstool) and he had patches and dry skin scabs all over his body. She was smothering him in pity and really had no idea how to take care of a dog. I get compliments on Dar all the time from complete strangers about how good he looks, how well trained he is, and no lie, how shiny his teeth are. How that rescue dog better?

I also met a 13ish boy the other day while walking Dar. Dar gets excited around kids so after he met he started getting Barky and jumpy. I said 'he won't bite' and the kid says "its okay, I'm used to being bit." ... How awful is that! He said the dog was a rescue and came with some problems. I'm not saying all rescue dogs are bad or project dogs , but this was obviously NOT the right choice for this family. If a child especially is getting bit all the time, there is a problem. I just can't say that a rescue dog is the best for everyone if something like this is possible.

For me, I did look at petfinder, but I really didn't want to deal with a badly breed dachshund. I wanted to give my self as high a chance as possible to NOT have a dachshund with IVDD. I also didn't want a project dog, especially since Dachshunds have the highest bite rating.... Even over pit bulls. And honestly, I didn't want to fall in love with a dog just to be rejected because I live in an apartment and have a job. Dar is spoiled rotten and I don't think many rescues would even get past the first question to know how I would treat a dog.

There are just so many reasons to get or not get a rescue it is unfair to judge someone without at least hearing a reason first.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 3:35pm PST 
I personally was quite offended by the article.

Noah came from a breeder, but I didn't buy him as a puppy. The breeder sold him and his sister to a woman out of state who didn't take proper care of them so she took them both back when they were about a year and a half. I had previously been contacting the breeder about buying a puppy but got an email from her saying "I have this adult dog here who really needs a good home. He's a sweet boy but needs a little work" so I took him. So I feel he's a breeder dog and sort of a rescue dog at the same time.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 6:52pm PST 
@ Duncan, my comments about markets was not about breeder or rescue markets per se, but the actual consumer market.

Some people, on doing their research, are going to feel a lot better entering into the process intellectually, wherein they locate a breeder who is expert in their breed, strives to breed a quality animal, and is someone of knowledge base to answer any questions or provide guidance as needed.

That is a market. And if rescue wants that market, they need to aspire towards satisfying that market's needs and expectations. They cannot expect that market to conform to their standards (or lacks thereof) and then get hostile (ala this blog) when they elect to go elsewhere.

Surely this does not mean every breeder....including the responsible breeders....comes through with flying colors. But that does not make the market not exist. It does, and it is a prominent market. And to satisfy it, vetting to the fullest standard, assessments by people trained to do such things, matches made thoughtfully (vs moving a dog or "he's been here too long") and someone/ones in the group skilled enough to offer guidance intelligently through the long term.

I am heavily mentored on Cocker Spaniels by the big leagues, so to speak, but will say that my stint working for Cocker Spaniel rescue...and this applies to other breeds also, but it is my dog fancy mentorship that made this so striking....found me around people who were every bit as awesome. I actually learned things from them I had not from my own mentors. They are deeply experienced, very able to translate Cocker behaviors, if it comes to of course health, care or diet issues they are amazing. A very impressive group, and frankly with them not too much a difference between a Cocker from them or from a breeder.

Of course, they had Toto's placement attitude, too. Notoriously hard to adopt from. They are to me the "true" rescues, compared to what we are more typically seeing now.

I have always said that the passion for rescue will mainly fall, from individual to individual, on the pulling of the dogs, or the fulfilling of the happy ending for the dog. Most will fall on one side or the other. And in what I have seen become of rescue, I know the answer is that it needs to fall on the latter side. A determination to get that dog his happy forever ending.

In working with New England breed rescues, I have found some contrasts to where rescues generally are now. Dogs coming in receive a full vet workup....the concept of even *thinking* about finding a home before this would be unthinnkable. And they had the budgets, or found them, that if they dog needed $1,500 of work, so be it. The dogs were put safe in foster, often there for a month before they were even listed. For full discovery, to give the dog time to settle, etc. And then, a highly scrutinized application process.

Dogs adopted in this fashion had a very full health profile, could be very accurately assessed, ended up in good homes that had full, breed savvy support should there be any problems.

That fullness, that completeness, is indeed within the market to which I was referring, and to which this article is addressed.

It also is something very seldom catered to by rescues nowadays, which is focused on the pulling. Very often with minimal knowledge as to the dog's health, nor formally pursuing having such confirmed. Which is so focused on pulling that getting the dogs out the door becomes the priority. Which is so focused on the plight of these dogs and the tragedies of their lives that resentment is held towards those who feel overwhelmed by having a project.

I think there certainly IS a market for dog lovers willing to take on the financial responsibility of an under-vetted dog, the personal challenge of a dog not expertly matched to them, and the emotional challenge of working with issues that arise on your lonesome. But there is only so big that market gets. And then there are the rest, who are very ill suited to obtaining a dog in this way. They either decide not to rescue or do, feel miserable and never do so again.

Even Dogsters here, who have happily rescued and now say their next will be a breeder dog reflect this contrast.

It's sad to me, as rescue's reputation, what allowed it grow, were these old standards, through which many, many people had insanely positive experiences. I was part of that line, and as I look at now, what built that reputation is one harder to be found. They have coat tailed it rather than aspired to its standard.

I would far prefer to place one dog and have an over the moon owner, than place ten on a wing and a prayer. One has the potential for a very positive ripple, the other one very negative. But when pulling and saving are the motive over fulfilling a promise made to a dog, undoing the wrong done to him and finding him his perfect answer, it is the former side, the negative ripple, that is more easily courted.

Edited by author Wed Nov 14, '12 7:00pm PST

[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 8:52pm PST 
All of my dogs are rescues, and after my experiences I got turned off of rescue so I was thinking of getting my next dog from a reputable breeder, but after reading Tiller's posts I think I'd get my next rescue dog from Tiller! laugh out loudway to go

I also found the article very offensive and ridiculous. confused

Edited by author Wed Nov 14, '12 8:57pm PST

[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 3:53am PST 
What an uninformed closed minded person...... I miss the old way Dogster approached articles.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 4:06am PST 
Dogster seems to becoming deliberately divisive, inflammatory, and over-the-top, I guess just to attract viewers. It's kind of sad. That's not the kind of community I'd like here. Or has been here.

Articles like that should never be published.
[notify]
  (Page 8 of 11: Viewing entries 71 to 80)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11